z

Young Writers Society

Plate vs Broom

224 Reviews

Reviews: 224
Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:20 pm
View Likes
AmayaStatham says...

It was a busy day in the Sundays family home, and the purchase and delivery of Plate was a faithful day. The plate was white with a shiny gold rim, and it was made to look amazing. It was the perfect choice for Velary, the eldest of the children. Plate was put away in the kitchen cupboard, on top of all the other plates that had gradually lost their shine. He was the prettiest one there.

"Well, well, I am rather dashing for this family, but no worries. I am still king." Plate bluffed, not knowing that Broom, standing next to the fridge, was listening to his bluff.

108 words
Last edited by AmayaStatham on Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

169 Reviews

Reviews: 169
Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:43 pm
View Likes
Rose says...

Broom tossed her soft pink and purple hair in an exaggerated fashion as she sneered. That toad of a plate could never get enough of himself. Could he never get it through his thin skull that she was his equal (or maybe even more?) Who would clean up the scraps that fell from him?
Well, Broom lifted her head, she was bought for a reason and she would fulfill that purpose for the Sundays family.
Last edited by Rose on Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Think like a proton; always positive ;)

224 Reviews

Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:37 pm
View Likes
AmayaStatham says...

One morning, as Velary was getting ready for school, her mother took out Plate and made her a bacon and egg sandwich. Then she carefully placed Plate on the table next to Mickey Mug. Plate was so happy, it was his first day out and he was on the table of honour. He showed all his teeth and was beaming.

Just then, Velary entered the room, putting her rucksack on one of the chairs and holding a hairbrush in her other hand. "Morning, Mum," she said as she walked over to her plate and looked at the shiny thing. Velary immediately saw the new plate and picked it up, holding it above her head and looking for a name on it. Karen, her younger sister, usually painted her name on the bottom of her plate with nail polish, so this time Velary wondered if her mother had got it wrong again.

Her mother smiled and said, "Don't worry, dear. I ordered this especially for you, it is from Amazon. Karen, Pin, Lucy and Filo all have their own plates, it was time you had one of your own." "Cool." Velary remarked, starting to comb her hair as she took a bite.

Plate was so happy to hear that comment, "I've been called cool. I guess my dentist appointment was worth it."

Because Velary was pacing as she ate because she was late for school, she got bread crumbs all over the place. Plate was still so shiny that Velary did not even hesitate to wash it before she left.

He sighed as the water ran over his face. "Ahhhh, cool water. Alas, something for a king." He smiled at Velary, "Wait, there's something in my tooth, I think it's a piece of crisp from the beacon." It was as if Velary had heard him, so she scrubbed Plate again. "There it is, thank you." Plate said.

She carefully dried Plate with Tina Towel and placed it in the kitchen cupboard, again on top of the other plates.

337 words
Last edited by AmayaStatham on Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

169 Reviews

Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:48 pm
View Likes
Rose says...

Micky Mug, this super sharp and curious thinker, decided to follow the oldest of the Sunday children during her morning routine. He wrote down every little thing that crossed his mind on an invisible mental notepad. He hid these mental notes for a "just in case" mystery situation. It was almost like he was collecting clues for a secret mission or something, keeping them safe until they were needed later to solve some crazy puzzle. Like hidden pieces to unlock some epic mystery down the road.
But just so you know, he had also been watching Plate and his plate-like behavior...
Last edited by Rose on Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

224 Reviews

Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:30 pm
View Likes
AmayaStatham says...

Plate sat on top of the others and started calling out to others in the kitchen. "Yo, Fridge, what's yo' name man?" Fridge frowned and said, "Freddie, What's with the attitude?" Plate chuckled and said, "Oh please, I know I'm the best, no need to mention it twice, Fredsel."

Old Mrs. Tina Towel sighed and said, "Every time Mrs. Sundays shut the front door and is off to work, you guys start arguing. You are kitchen materials, start behaving like ones for once in your life." Some of the other plates under Plate complained that he was jumping too much and making it heavy for Shimmer, the last plate. "Why is your name Shimmer? You're green and you've lost your shine." Plate said rudely.

"You there, blue thing. The one with one ear." "My name is Mickey." Mickey Mug sighed, "What do you want, Plate?" Plate said, "I don't understand why you're named after a cartoon. You are so..." "So what, Platey McFlatface? Just say it." Broom shouted, "You think just because you're new you can just waltz in and play king. It doesn't work like that in here, all right, McFlatface?"

No one had dared say such a thing to Plate, but everyone was glad that Broom had stood up to him. The guy hadn't even been here a day and he was already acting like he was king. All the others had been here for years, they were practically family, how could he?

Plate was astonished, "How can you call me that?" He was angry. Broom tossed her purple hair back and said, "You insult all my other friends and family the same way.ā€ She was not afraid of him.

"Who do you think you are, Sweepzilla the Broominator?" Plate continued, "You think you are so important that you can tell me my place, oh please." Broom lent onto Freddie Fridge and said, "Stop it, not because Velary uses you, you are the best." Plate cleared his throat and said, "You think you are used more than me in this house now, do you?" Broom got restless and said, "Gosh, McFlatface, this is your first day! And yes, I do not think, I know that I am used more than you."

"Oh dear, I think I'm going to have a stroke!" Tina Towel exclaimed. "Now look at what you've done." Broom scolded Plate, "Grandma Tina, hang on. Tim, help Grandma, will you?"

The other towel had fallen asleep and it was impossible to wake him when he slept, "Tim. Tim. Tim. Tim. Tim!" Freddie Fridge tried almost twelve times, but there was no answer. "Oh dear, my head hurts." Tina Towel said as she hung upside down from the oven with her head on the floor. "Timothee Towel! Wake up! Right now!" Broom shouted.

Timothee Towel jerked awake, "I'm up! What happened, did I miss anything?" Broom said, "Help your grandmother, they've hung her upside down, again.ā€ Timothee Towel looked at his grandmother and said, "Hold on Granny, I'm coming."

He was on the kitchen counter because Mrs Sundays had forgotten to hang it on the oven. "Freddie, give me a hard throw," Broom said to Freddie Fridge. As Freddie threw Broom, Broom's steel landed on the kitchen counter, whereupon she gave Timothee Towel a push and he flew onto the stove, dragging Old Tina Towel to the floor. All three did not land lightly. "That's better." Tina Towel sighed, "Thank you, my dear boy." She said to Timothee Towel, her grandson.

Plate marvelled again at the strength of the kitchen materials, they worked so well together. And Broom was quite the hero.

Mickey Mug had written it all down, from Broom's jump to the glint in Plate's eye. No one really believed in his superstitions, but he believed that one day it would all be worth it and make sense. That's why he never lets his notebook out of his sight, why he sleeps with one eye open and one eye closed, and that's why he has such a big ear, so he can hear everything, and I mean everything. If you want the latest gossip, you can ask Mickey.

"So you are just going to lie there on the floor until Mrs Sundays comes back? Won't she suspect anything? I mean, it looks like a robbery if you ask me," said Mickey Mug to Broom. Broom said, "Nah, she won't. She is not the detective you are. Anyway, I don't mind, and I don't think Timothee minds either. He had gone back to sleep.

"Grandma Tina doesn't mind either, it's better for her head." Broom said to Mickey, "Don't worry, Mick. Everything will be fine." "Are you sure?" Mickey tried again, "I mean I can make a brilliant case and represent you." Broom smiled and removed some of the hair that had gotten into her face, "It's fine. When Sudha Stove, we'll see what we can do."

"What's up, McFlatface? Where did all your bluffing go?" Broom asked Plate. Plate decided to stay put and said nothing, turning around. "Ohh, don't give me the back, Plate." Broom said. "I think he's just scared of you," Freddie said, "you really put him in his place." "Shut up, Fredsel." Plate said, "I'm not afraid of anyone." "Then what are you afraid of, becoming friends?" Freddie said, "That's not so hard, ask Timothee. He'll tell you all about it. He's a great talker when he's awake." Mickey started to laugh, "When he's up, you mean he can sleep all day, that guy."

All the materials in the kitchen began to crack up, perhaps this was the start of a beautiful friendship. "Did I miss something?" Timothee asked as he woke up. Even Plate had a bit of a smile on his face, there was a light in his eyes.

Nobody would have guessed it, but the materials used in the kitchen have had their ups and downs, but they have also had a great time together.

1003 words
Last edited by AmayaStatham on Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

169 Reviews

Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:54 am
View Likes
Rose says...

Ughhhhhhhh... The kitchen appliances were arguing, again. And then they stopped, but started arguing again. And then they stopped again, this time forever. I hope.
Marco the Microwave got tired of all their fighting. No, literally, he got the flu. Marco's digital display was filled with a scrolling message that read, "ERROR: VIRUS DETECTED. And there weren't even enough napkins to blow his nose in. Grandma Tina was fighting, again, Tim was sleeping, again, Broom was cleaning up the mess, again, McFlatface was bluffing, again. His search for stars in the morning sky was interrupted by the whole mess, and his search remained incomplete.
"Could someone please get me some napkins?"

224 Reviews

Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:01 pm
View Likes
AmayaStatham says...

Broom was still lying with his head on the kitchen counter. Plate shouted at Freddie Fridge, "And why should I keep my mouth shut, eh? This kitchen is so boring, everyone is either lazy or asleep." "Watch your tongue, young man," Tina Towel shouted as she cleared her throat, "My grandson may sleep a lot, but he is not lazy." "Can someone tell me where the napkins are?" Marco Microwave literally cried out. "Shhh...Marco. I'm trying to write everything down for my case." Mickey Mug said as he was busy listening with his left ear. Actually it was his right ear, but never mind, he is a Mug, he only has one ear.

In the middle of all this, Timothee Towel asked, "Will somebody tell me what is going on! "Not great timing, Tim!" Broom said, "Well, yeah, about you bluffing." She went on to argue with Plate. One of the plates under Plate squeaked, "I think Shimmer's going to explode, there's too much movement on her". Plate didn't mind at all, "Oh shut up, Pipsqueek".

Just then, the key was inserted into the keyhole, turned and the door opened with a dramatic squeak. Mrs Sundays was at home, and all the kitchen materials fell silent. She placed her heels neatly on the shoe rack and went upstairs to her room.

"Not yet," Mickey Mug said as he heard her walking up the stairs, she tossed her bag into the wardrobe and went into the shower. The moment the water hit the floor, the kitchen materials started again. "Will you look at yourself for once in your life?" Freddie Fridge asked Marco Microwave, who had burst into tears and was crying incessantly. "I just asked for some napkins, is that a crime? Mickey?" Mickey Mug was too busy listening to the argument between Broom and Plate to realise that Marco was actually talking to him.

"Hang on, Shimmer. Mrs Sundays will be putting the food on the table soon enough." The little plate, Blinky said again, hoping not to lose her sister.

"Grandma, stop," Timothee Towel tried to restrain Old Tina Towel, who was also arguing fiercely with Plate, "you don't need to exhaust yourself over a statement that doesn't really matter." Tina Towel frowned and said, "Timmy, my boy. What do you mean it doesn't matter, you are not a lazy idiot and I will not stand for anyone trying to make fun of you". "I appreciate that, Grandma, but..." "No butts, Timmy!'' She cut him off again.

The shower stopped and everyone was quiet again. After two minutes Mrs Sundays came into the kitchen, opened Freddie Fridge and took out some broccoli and a chicken. She took the Pepper Pot from the cupboard and put it on the Suda Stove.

"Hey Pepper, what's she cooking today?" Suda Stove asked in her Indian accent. "Suda dear, how are you? She is making the typical Wednesday meal, broccoli with chicken."

Mrs Sundays then saw Broom lying against the kitchen counter, Tina and Timothee lying on the floor. She frowned and said, "I could have sworn I left you two by the Stove. She picked them up and put them on the kitchen counter and put Broom back next to Freddie Fridge.

"Upside down, yeah," Tina Towel said, complaining.

Mrs Sundays opened the window and breathed in a lot of fresh air as she began humming a fine tune and started cooking.

The kitchen was very quiet as Mrs Sundays used the kitchen materials to prepare the lunch, no one so much as flinched.

She picked up Tina towel to hold Pepper Pot as she stirred the food on Sudha Stove.

"Seriously girl, can't you take another towel, you don't see how old I am yet you're tiring me out holding me on that hot Pot. No offence Timmy dear or Pepper." Tina Towel quickly added as she complained that her bones were aching even though she had none.

With that Mrs Sundays burnt her hand on the Pepper Pot and Tina Towel had become thin, very thin. She quickly rinsed her hand with water under Tony Tap. Then she picked up Timothee and went on.

"Well, thank you Grandma." Timothee mumbled as Mrs Sundays held him upside down in an odd position.

When Mrs Sundays had finished cooking, she switched off the Suda stove and opened the kitchen cupboard to take out the plates.

She placed Plate next to Shimmer and Blinkey next to Shimmer.

"Uhggg, you again." Plate said sarcastically to Shimmer, who started to worry. Blinky reassured her that everything would be fine.

Mrs Sundays had laid all seven plates and began to pour water. She took out Mickey Mug, who was Velary's Mug, technically that's what Lucy calls him, but Velary called him Mickey after watching The Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix, so yeah. Mickey Mug it is.

"Yo Marco, I've made your case alright, I've called it, the facts that Marco Microwave didn't get his napkins and the reasons. What do you think man?" Marco Microwave was pissed and said, "Shut up alright. You are acting like that person with the well-tailored suit and the fancy car. You are just a Mug."

When Mrs Sundays walked away with Mickey Mug to put it on the table, Mickey got angry.

"That's just pure evil, Marco. I'm trying to help everyone here!" Mickey said as he was put on the table, "At least Velary, Pin and Hugh think otherwise".

Hugh was Mrs Sunday's husband. He was an accountant and loved those detective films.

Plate stuck out his tongue at Broom as he was also dragged to the table, "You think you look better with your wig on." Broom rolled his eyes, "Let him talk, Broom. I think your hair is cool." Freddie Fridge said to her. Broom smiled.

After a few seconds, when the whole table was set, the door slammed open.

"We." Karen said as she entered the house with her shoes on.
Pin, checking his hair in the mirror, said, "Are."
"Home." Lucy squeezed.
"And." Filo said, completely uninterested in the sentence they formed together.
"Hungry." Hugh Sundays, their father said.

Velary giggled as she entered the house and gave her mother a kiss on the cheek. "Hey Mum," she said as she went upstairs to freshen up.

1053 words
Last edited by AmayaStatham on Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

169 Reviews

Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:07 pm
View Likes
Rose says...

The kitchen was now a complete madhouse, with the family members barging in like they were contestants in a reality show called "Chaos Kitchen." Karen had swooped in with the elegance of a hawk eyeing its prey, snatching a bag of chips from the snack cupboard before anyone could say, "Hangry alert!" Pin was in a hair-fluffing frenzy, as if his hairstyle held the key to unlocking the secrets of the universe. Filo was investigating the depths of the fridge like an archaeologist searching for the lost city of Yum-Yum. Lucy was glued to her phone as if she had been cast in a dramatic telenovela with notifications as plot twists.

"Mum, what's on the menu?" Velary's voice came floating down from upstairs.

"Broccoli and chicken, sweetheart," Mrs Sundays replied.

"Broccoli? Iā€™d rather befriend a brussels sprout!" Velary's tone was more dramatic than a Shakespearean soliloquy.

"Think of it as a tree you can chew," Hugh offered, his accountant sensibilities in full swing.

Velary responded with a sigh that could have won an Academy Award for Best Dramatic Performance in a Kitchen Setting.

"Come one, let's go eat."

Written by Rose and @Rinisha

224 Reviews

Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:00 pm
View Likes
AmayaStatham says...

Written by Rinisha & @Rose

After the Sundays had eaten their lunch, it was time to clean up. As Mrs Sundays gathered up all the dishes, she walked over to Tony Tap and put them under him in Sofia Sink. She opened Tony and let water flow over Plate, Shimmer, Blinkey, Mickey and a few others.

"What a relief," Plate remarked as all the water hit him. "My head really needed shining." "Shut up, baldy." Tony said, "Can't you see there's a funeral going on?" Plate frowned, "Funeral, dude, what is wrong with you?" Shimmer cried softly as Blinkey comforted her, "She'll always be in our hearts, Shim. Don't worry."

"Grandma Tina! Don't leave me!" Timothee Towel, her grandson, cried as Mrs Sundays took Tina Towel and walked with her to the laundry room, where she put her in a black bag and closed it.

"Um, funeral what?" Plate asked. "Have some respect!" Mickey Mug shouted at him, "She's being taken to the old stuff and used as a second-hand mop." Plate was confused, this was her funeral.

"Poor woman's had a heart attack," sniffed Broom as she leaned her head against Freddie Fridge. "She was always there for spills and messes, no matter how big or small," Broom recalled, her bristles drooping. "And now she's moving on to another role." Freddie Fridge hummed softly, his cold exterior a comforting presence. Blinkey, who had dried Shimmer's tears, nodded in agreement. "She may not be here as she was, but her memories and contributions will remain."

As Mrs Sundays returned from the laundry room, the others fell silent, paying their respects in their own way. She continued to tidy the kitchen.

Plate was in shock, it was not as if Tina Towel was dead, but still they called it a funeral. When he was placed in the kitchen cupboard, he did not notice at first, but Shimmer was on top, not him.

After a while, when some of the kitchen materials had had a nap and were done mourning, Broom was taken by Mrs Sundays.

Just for a split second Broom thought that she would also be put in the black bag being labeled as a second-hand broom. She started to panic, but as soon as she was brought to one of the rooms she knew that it was just for her daily duty. Broom let out a heavy sigh. It was going to be fine.

407 words

All we can do is our best, and hope that it was enough.
— CandyWizard