z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 20)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:30 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas stared at her, shaking his head. "I'm sorry, I really don't understand. Like, at all."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:39 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

That doesn’t surprise me. She managed to keep that to herself. She hesitated for a moment, actually thinking before she spoke for one of the first times in her life. “… That’s okay. I… don’t think you really have to understand it, honestly. Just evacuate people and your family and Ky and Ash and I can sort out the gods then let you know when it’s safe to come back.”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:41 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas stopped walking. "What?" He paused, clasping his hands, and closed his eyes for a second. "Okay. Sorry, I think I've missed something along the way. What in the world are you talking about?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:02 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Jerica furrowed her brow at him. “When the gods wake up.” Why was he so slow? Gods. “You’re evacuating your territory to the East or the South so you don’t get crushed by stone trolls. Then you can come back when it’s calm.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:05 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I mean, yeah. But you keep talking about how you've got this covered, and now you're saying my brother and Ky will help out, and I genuinely don't understand. What are you talking about?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:09 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Jerica looked at him dumbly. Or, maybe like he was dumb. "... We've got to be here to herald... did you just forget everything that's happened in the past month or...?" She was back to not thinking before she spoke. Oops.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:15 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Herald?" He gave her a blank look.

(He wasn't told of this, right? Is Tomhas accidentally gaslighting Jerica or am I correct in recalling his being kept in the dark?)

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:21 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(I'm honestly not sure at this point xD I think you are correct that they were wary to tell him because of his fragile mental health. But even if he was told, I think we could reasonably chock it up to him being in a bad headspace and not retaining it because depression screws with memories. So I'm good for this to be a genuine miscommunication with Tomhas not knowing and Jerica thinking he does ^^)

"Gods." Jerica rolled her eyes and looked at him impatiently. "You honestly expect me to believe big bubby didn't tell you about all this? Stop pretending to be dumb it's not funny. This is serious."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:23 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Okay nice!
I feel like he knows Ky can see ghosts but that's like, it. I remember Gaius insisting they keep this on the DL)

Tomhas was growing increasingly agitated, wringing his hands. "Look. I don't know what you're talking about. I'm sorry. But I'm genuinely in the dark--what is all this?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:26 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(yeah that tracks ^^)

Jerica was getting progressively less patient with him. And she already didn't start out with much. "The gods need heralds when they wake up to tell people to get their shit together and act right. We're gonna herald so we'll know when everything's over and you can come back."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:27 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas shook his head again. "And you....decided you were gonna do this? The three of you are going to stay?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:29 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Yeah. Well. The gods decided we were gonna do it. And we've gotta travel up to their shrine thingy. But that'll be after the long night... I think. I dunno, Them'll tell me I think. But after you get everyone else evacuated."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:32 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"The gods are asleep," he protested. "And I was going to evacuate them anyway."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:35 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“…Okay?” Why was he arguing if they were agreeing? “Good.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:46 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"But I'm not letting Ky stay here. It's foolishness--way too dangerous."

she/her

Some twenty years from now, users will ask a similar question about world famous Chicken poetry and Google will tell them about alliyah.
— Hkumar