z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 20)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:17 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Ewan personally felt that more could be done--he'd seen other libraries here and in the East--but his parents were more focused on distributing knowledge than stockpiling it. Hopefully one day there could at least be a large public library here. "I'm glad you think so. Feel free to ask me or one of my parents if you want to read anything else--most of this is alright to read."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:33 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Good to know.” Rana nodded to him. “Thanks.” She stepped towards the door, ready to continue onward.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:30 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Ewan stepped out, making space for her. "The rookery is probably another good thing to show you. And maybe the watchtowers?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:29 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“I’d love to see whatever you’re inclined to show.” Rana nodded to him with a little smile.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:05 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Then to the rookery we shall go!" He held the door for her.

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:01 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Thank you." She nodded to him and stepped into the hall. "Do you have birds homed to each of the Keeps in this region?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:14 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"We do indeed! It's quite helpful. There's sort of a shared pool of birds--no one quite owns a single rook."

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:15 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"How do you tell them apart?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:29 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Ah, well there are ribbons around their ankles. None of the rooks have tried to take them off as far as we know, so we figure they don't mind it."

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:51 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"What would you do if they lost their ribbons?" Rana asked, looking at him curiously. Her inner chaos goblin wanted to go untie all the ribbons. She wouldn't, of course. But. Imagine. The complete and utter confusion that would ensue if there were dozens upon dozens of identical birds and no one knew which went where.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:34 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Do ittttt)

"We've got a set number of birds that are homed to each place," he replied. "Usually, if one has lost a ribbon, we'll exchange letters and see which of us it belongs to. Then we'll just replace it."

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:19 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(hahaha imagine if they went to visit Tarr)

"Ah." Rana nodded. "Makes sense. But it's relatively rare that happens, I take it?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:51 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Oh that would be miserable)

"Usually it only happens if they squabble with other birds, which does happen sometimes. A hawk or a flock of sparrows will take it into their heads to quarrel, and then the rook comes back with a ribbon lost and a few scratches--if it comes back."

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:08 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(C h a o s)

Rana winced. “Poor birds.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:04 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(trying to come up with a nickname a la Icelandic saga for Mikel. Septimus is called Hill Raiser and Gaius has the moniker Broth Guzzler.)

Ewan nodded sympathetically. "It's sad, but I expect however they die it's usually very quick. Unless it's sparrows--those little beasts are brutal. I've seen them harass a cat for killing one of their own and the poor thing took forever to bleed out."

she/her

It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language
— Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey