Young Writers Society

Canary in a Coal Mine

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:02 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Nice)

"Did you win?" Was there even a winner at an auction? He glanced toward the door; the lettuce would probably be shriveled in another two hours; he should plan to leave in about an hour, then. Or sooner, if Esmond was going to stay.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:05 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Uh..." Esmond hesitated, taken off guard by a question that stupid. What was he even talking about? "I... uh... I mean, I was selling, not buying. But it went okay. Got better prices than I did today, anyway. My steers went cheap this afternoon, unfortunately."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:06 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Mm." He looked down into his glass, pushing his spectacles up his nose. "Sorry to hear that." Now go away; leave him be. He had nothing to say to this man, and he knew Esmond had nothing worth saying either.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:08 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Eh." Esmond shrugged. He knew he wasn't going to get any sort of authentic sympathy from this man; and he didn't want it, either. "... what are you up to today?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:13 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Nicholas sighed inwardly and straightened a little. "Very little," he replied. "I'm having company tonight, though." If you could call it that.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:14 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Oh yeah?" Esmond asked politely.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:19 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

He nodded and took another drink.

Marie had noticed Esmond come in and watched as he approached the Reverend. Anyone with half a brain could tell Reverend Aspen was ill at ease with social interactions on a good day, and this wasn't a good day. He looked like he'd only just rolled out of bed. Probably hung over, if she knew him. But here Esmond was, chatting to the poor man as if there was nothing wrong. She was sure he could see Aspen was trying to end the conversation, but it seemed he was more than willing to continue talking. Typical. She took a hefty swig of beer. Maybe she'd save the Reverend, if it kept going.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:20 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Esmond was getting bored of the conversation. Or lack thereof. "Well... hope that goes well for you, then."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:23 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Thank you." He finished his beer and scooted the glass forward; the bartender would get him another one.

Marie leaned back; good. Hopefully that would be that.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:25 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Esmond noticed her as she moved and nodded to her, taking a step that way. "Hey Marie, how's it going?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:29 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Dammit. She picked up her stout. "Esmond." She nodded to him. "Slow day at the shop; how about you?" She could at least pretend to be polite, which was what was about to doom her. She caught the Reverend's eye as he glanced up, but he turned away almost immediately, shoulders hunched. Pitiful old coot.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:31 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(ahhhh a local pizza shop was offering a $4 off coupon but only if you called not used the website to order so I really do feel like I'm back to the freaking 00's calling instead of tech the horrors lol)

"Not too bad," Esmond said, nodding to her. "Just figured I'd stop for a beer on my way home from the stockyard."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:39 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Oh man)

"Coming back from an auction, are you? How'd that go?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:40 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Eh." He shrugged, running a hand through his hair. "They went cheap today, but I still made some money, so alright, I guess. I don't think I'll be frequenting any more Tuesday afternoon sales soon, though. Saturday mornings seem to be better luck."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:41 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"That makes sense." She nodded. "Nothing happens on Tuesdays."

she/her

"He looks like a turtle who's been through the Vietnam war."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi