Young Writers Society

Show Business

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:47 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Jeff Jonsin

Jeff was already kicking himself in his mind for how lame his conversation starter was.

Anyone would be able to tell that he was new, either from not recognizing him or knowing that there wasn’t another superhero in NYC than The Actor.

He was trying to sigh under his breath and figure out a way of leaving when he heard a voice.

Jeff jumped a slight bit at hearing The Actor speak, part of the reason because he was sure he was going to be told, “You’re an idiot” or something of the manner, (and he would agree with whatever was said of him,” and the other reason was just pure anxious feelings.

He found himself nodding at the reply. Of course, of course, The Actor has already established himself as a superhero here, as the superhero here.

Wait — was he asking after Jeff’s health? This person was the coolest and nicest superhero ever.

He could cry.

He didn’t want to cry.

But he could cry.

“Um, oh, no worries.” His voice wobbled. “I’m fine.”

As if to curse him for those words, his ankle started to throb.
Last edited by keystrings on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:14 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The Actor

"...Are you sure?" Wren hesitantly asked. She looked him over again. He didn't seem like he was okay; his voice was shaking, and something about the way he was holding himself made him look like he wanted to cry. "You...You don't look okay."

Had it been something she said? Something she didn't say? She knew the black-and-red suit was a bad idea! It made her seem intimidating when she really wasn't. She wished there was something she could do to make up for it. But she didn't have a first aid kit on her, and he might have just needed an ice pack.

She took a breath he hopefully didn't notice.

"...Do you want to get something to eat with me?" she quietly said, feeling even shyer than she usually did. It was taking all of her concentration not to stare down at the ground. "There's a cafe near here that I like going to..."
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

415 Reviews

Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:46 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Jeff Jonsin

Jeff bit his tongue to keep from fan(-boying?) in front of The Actor, which then caused the tears collecting in his eyes threaten to fall. His superhero-hero seemed so pure-hearted and not at all annoyed by how awkward he was being, which Jeff expected as a response.

He waved a hand, trying to think of how to answer The Actor's questions. His mind raced back to being asked about food? Food? Oh my gosh - Jeff would be that close to The Actor? But should he show his face? Or could he just sneak in the food under his makeshift mask -- yes that seemed like the best idea.

He had watched the Mandalorian after all, and so there was definitely ways to eat and drink without giving away one's identity.

"I, uh, I'm okay," Jeff carefully straightened his ankle, feeling it pulse just a little with pain. "Just tripped over some plastic, but I'll be fine! Thanks."

"And, uhm, food sounds good, as-long-as I can keep-wearing-this." He gestured aimlessly towards his face, to which he hoped the scarf had stayed. "If that's okay?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:54 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The Actor

She nodded - trying her best not to show her embarrassment. She should have realized that his scarf would get in the way. Even though she could change her appearance at will, other superheroes couldn't. Or, at least, she didn't think they could. She hadn't met any other ones before.

Face red and hot, she turned away from him and started heading in the direction of the cafe. She hoped he hadn't caught a glimpse of her blushing before she had turned; she wasn't sure she could survive him directly addressing her embarrassment.
mage

queer and here.

415 Reviews

Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:19 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Jeff Jonsin

Whew. Jeff was glad that The Actor agreed, and he figured he hadn't looked too rude and weird when answering his questions if he still agreed. He actually appreciated being given a place to check out as he definitely had no clue where to go in such a big city.

His ankle didn't feel too bad once he started following The Actor. His mind was a whirl though, even with his face hopefully not giving it away. Wow, this day was turning out absolutely crazy!

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:34 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The Actor

It took them just under ten minutes to get to the Carter Corner Café, but those ten minutes were long enough for Wren to really question her decision-making choices. She had stopped by the cafe before as The Actor when she was really hungry and needed something to eat. She got a lot of stares the first time around, but then it had just become...accepted. It had even boosted the cafe's popularity; everyone wanted a shot at running into her.

But she wasn't just coming on her own this time.

She was coming with another hero.

What were her parents going to think? What was she going to say? How was she going to act like they weren't her parents, because she had never gotten that down and she was pretty sure the only reason the other customers never guessed was because they all knew the Carters had a high school age daughter and not a twenty-something year old son? The other hero would put that together. She was sure of it.

...Wait.

She didn't even know his name.

She was bringing him to get food and she didn't even his name! Why hadn't she thought of asking it? They were already ten minutes past meeting each other. The further they got from their meeting, the more awkward it would be to ask his name.

Just as Wren was reaching Peak Panic™ in her head, they reached the cafe.

"We're here," she quietly informed him, opening the door with the chime of the bell above the door announcing their entrance. It wasn't packed right now, but a few of the customers turned to stare at the two of them with wide eyes - and her parents exchanged excited but curious looks as they passed each other going down one of the two aisles that was formed by the rows of booths and regular tables.
mage

queer and here.

415 Reviews

Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:02 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Jeff Jonsin

Jeff was glad for his scarf-mask-thing to cover his shock and excitement at the café cause it looked really nice. He could see people that looked about his teenager age which made him happy too.

He rather liked cafés, not to mention the fact that The Actor seemed to like going here too, so maybe Jeff could show up here in his regular clothes and spy on his favorite superhero even more incognito. Although he probably shouldn't say something to The Actor if he wasn't in uniform, as he might get his voice recognized.

To all the people who said being a superhero was super fun, they never had to consider running into someone who was awesome but also could be privy to their civilian identity. He was such a nerd, but he loved using that word and having it relate to him.

Instead of screaming or tugging at his hair or bowing to The Actor, Jeff instead said, "Thanks," before trying to peer back at the people looking at them. He figured they were all staring at The Actor, to which he could only think, of course, who wouldn't want to stare at The Actor, mostly because he was The Actor and anyone who had The in front of their name or title was instantly cool.

Like The Actor.

He was feeling hyper, so maybe getting something super sweet wouldn't be good, but he didn't know what to get.

"Do you have any recommendations?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:56 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The Actor

She let him to one of the booths in the very back of the cafe, her face deep in concentration as she tried to figure out what to recommend. Once they were finally at the table, she grabbed one of the menus that was already there.

She opened it up and hide her face behind it. She knew that this was supposed to be a chance for her to get to know the other hero better - and finally ask him what his name was - but sitting at the table with him made her even more worried that she was going to mess this up.

Wren faltered.

She didn't have the slightest idea what he should get.

“What kind of foods do you like? Do you like soft ones? Hard ones? And then there’s the taste, too, like if you like sweet, or something a little more sour…”

She thought for a moment. Maybe knowing what she liked would help him pick - or at least give him some ideas?

“I’m okay with any of the foods here,” she said, a little bit of confidence seeping into her voice. “...As long as you are. I'm not sure if you have any allergies, but they have choices for people who do. They even can make you something with gluten free flour."

...That wouldn't be helpful at all. Wren had to try a different approach. Even though there was a menu he could look at, hearing her say the options might have been better.

"There’s all sorts of food," she continued. "There’s the crepes, the cheesecake, the muffins, the bread - and that’s not even getting into all the different drinks! There’s at least ten types of coffee, and then there's countless other drinks if you’re not a big coffee drinker. I’m not, so I always get the hot chocolate with extra whipped cream. It tastes really good, and it’s always homemade, because pouring stuff out of a container and heating it up ruins the taste-"

Wren stiffened, suddenly realizing how much she had just ranted about the cafe. Face turning bright, bright red, she held up the menu a little higher so he couldn't see how embarrassed she was.
mage

queer and here.

415 Reviews

Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:34 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Jeff Jonsin

Wow.

Jeff stared for a second at The Actor once he finished his rant about the café and food choices.

I mean, just wow.

He had never heard someone be so passionate about menus before, but The Actor made it sound really cool! And Jeff actually liked knowing some stuff was gluten free since his dad liked having less gluten.

Everything sounded good now -- his mouth watered a bit thinking about the sugar content in any of these deserts. After a day in which he consumed his weight in sweets, and therefore might have went "zoom, zoom" around his house a hundred times, his parents limited his sugar intact to a very extreme intake.

Jeff was better with sugar now, or so he claimed, and he could just run off his hyper feelings after eating.

"You are so cool!"

He blushed, covering his mouth even with the scarf already tied over it. Why, why, did he say those words out loud?

Sighing, he closed his eyes for a minute.

"I think I'll take the muffin and hot chocolate."

Jeff grinned, laughing a bit.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:38 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The Actor

Wren's blushed deepened.

He thought she was cool.

He barely knew her - he hadn't even really seen her in action. But he thought she was cool. Wren couldn't wrap her head around that. She had been worried she was making an idiot out of herself this entire time, but she somehow hadn't?

"I think you're cool, too," she said, peeking over the menu a bit. "And a muffin and hot chocolate are a good choice. Are you getting it with chocolate chips or the blueberries?"

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw her mom scrolling through her phone. She was on her break - Wren knew that much - but she also knew that the scrolling through the phone bit was just a ploy. Any second now...

Her mom lifted the phone up so it looked like she was trying to take a selfie; Wren knew she was actually trying to subtly catch a shot of the two of them because she was excited for Wren. It was clear to see she was sitting across the table from another hero. This was a big moment for Wren and The Actor.
mage

queer and here.

415 Reviews

Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:16 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Jeff Jonsin

Jeff wanted to scream. Even with how many times he tripped over his feet and his words, The Actor thought he was cool. Him! No way.

Also, choosing between chocolate chips and blueberries was an unexpected challenge.

"Hm. I guess blueberries 'cause I don't get 'em much often at all."

Jeff chewed on his lip, looking at the rest of the menu.

"Er, what are you gonna get? You sounded pretty passionate about everything."

He wondered if he should give The Actor some kind of name -- he didn't know if not knowing how to refer to someone got annoying or not or something else.

"I'm - ah, Jewel," Jeff eventually said, scratching at the back of his neck, "if you want a name or something."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:49 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The Actor

Wren stared at him for a moment.

What was she going to get? She had been so busy trying to help him that the thought hadn't crossed her mind. She knew she would get hot chocolate; that was a given. But what else would she get? What food hadn't she had in awhile?

"I'm going to get a croissant and hot chocolate," she said. Now that the crisis was averted, she turned her attention to the other part of what he had said - his name. Jewel. She wondered what a hero named Jewel could do? Could he make anything out of jewels? Could he manipulate light? She tried guessing from his outfit, but it wasn't really giving anything away.

"And Jewel's a nice name," she said, giving him a shy smile as she put the menu down. "I like it."
mage

queer and here.

415 Reviews

Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:38 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Jeff Jonsin

Jeff grinned behind his mask. “It’s uh, kinda funny story, where Jewel comes from. But I can tell it once we get food.”

A few minutes later, one of the waiters took down their orders, and then they were left alone again.

"Er, well, I guess I can say it now." He blushed, hoping The Actor wouldn't notice. "But I can run fast, and my cousin-said-I-sparkled."

With that, he sighed, the food arrived, and then they both started eating.

They finished with the sun starting to fall towards the horizon. Well, Jeff probably start heading home so his parents didn't worry.

"Um, well, I've gotta head back, but it was an honor to meet you, sir!"

Jeff flashed his thumbs to emphasize his statement.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:55 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Wren Carter

Wren was too shocked about being called sir by someone to really come up with a good reply - she just managed a nod and a quiet "you too" before Jewel and her went their separate ways.

But the afternoon wasn't over yet, even though the sun had already started to set. Wren made a few rounds as The Actor before returning to the comfort of the cafe and the apartment above it. When her parents finally closed the shop and joined her up in the living room, they demanded an explanation with that kind of sparkle to their eyes that parents get when their kid made a new friend.

Which, Wren thought as she went to sleep that night, Jewel hopefully was.

It was only when she was almost asleep that she realized something very, very important. Jewel's name might have thrown her off, but the power was one that she knew very well. She hadn't read nearly enough of the comics, but she had binged Young Justice and loved reading all of the cute platonic Birdflash fics on AO3.

Jewel was like the Flash.

Which was really, really cool! She wondered if he had ever read any of the Flash runs, or had at least watched the CW show. She wanted to know for science, of course. Because she couldn't be the only person who turned to the superhero genre for guidance with the whole power thing, right? It definitely wasn't because she wanted someone to geek out with.

...Needless to say, Wren didn't really sleep that much that night.
mage

queer and here.

415 Reviews

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:41 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Jeff Jonsin

Jeff sprinted home, perhaps going on a few detours to let out a few screams, hopefully not scaring any residents that might have overheard. He was so amazed by how well this single day seemed to have gone, with meeting Wren, someone from his hometown, and then meeting The Actor who almost gave him a heart attack.

Even while running, he clutched a hand over his heart. Oh, how his life had changed so quickly.

Thankfully, he didn't have too much work to do, besides wonder what play he and Wren could to the group project on.

Unfortunately, that meant he was left with his racing thoughts, much like the full-blown sprinter dashes he could do on a regular night, and meant for a rather weird set of dreams for when he finally fell asleep.

Jeff woke up the next day with a strange sense of energy, much more than he had yesterday's morning. The cafe had some really good food, and looking at the clock said that he had plenty of time to get another order before heading to school.

All he needed was some more hot chocolate. Not even the stress of meeting The Actor took away from the delicious drink.

Jeff yelled out goodbye to the quiet house, half-asleep still, but it was fine because that meant no one paid witness to his awkward fumbling with his backpack and trying to find his way back to the cafe.

A few minutes later and he showed up what he hoped was the correct store. Oh boy, he couldn't wait to get more of that hot chocolate.

"Please put me in the quote generator whenever you like."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi