Young Writers Society

The Serpent & the Crow

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:05 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Nineteen," he replied, rolling his sleeve back down. The picture she painted was more than unpleasant. It meant that he'd be someone else's tool but, this time, it'd be worse. More blood--that was the last thing he wanted.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:32 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Younger than any of his children, then. Perhaps that will persuade him not to use you." Sera picked up her bag. "Mattathias and Regulus will be less than pleased that you're alive. They were outraged by the condition they found their father in. I'd be on my guard when one of them comes down."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:25 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

He doubted it. Doubted it because he'd seen the way Gaius looked at him. The insistence in his tone. The thought of dealing with one or both pissed off sons wasn't any more pleasant than that of dealing with their father, not when there was nothing to stop them from tearing him apart. Death wasn't the worst fate.

He looked down, fingers entwining in the hem of his sleeve. "Can you at least tell me if Sashka is alive? And..." A pause, a hesitation, then he resumed. "If I've any hope at all of recovering my watch?"

he/him/his

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:28 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I don't know what a watch is, but yes, Sashka is alive for now." Sera looked uncomfortable for the first time since she'd come down here. "Not for long, I wager. Gaius was...incensed." That was putting it lightly, and she knew it. Gaius would make sure her body was in no less than ten pieces by the time he was done with her.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:37 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Not for long. He wasn't surprised to hear that. He was a bit surprised that she was alive at all, but that somehow just made it worse; that meant her death was likely to be a slow one. He nodded mutely, not explaining about the watch. He'd find out. No reason to push things. No reason to draw attention to his strange device, no matter how much his mind ran itself in circles without that tick. Without her.

he/him/his

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:41 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Anything else you need from me?" She gestured to the tray of food. "A servant or guard'll bring another one of those in the evening. As for more blankets, I'm not sure I can arrange for that."

she/her

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:45 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"No, ma'm, thank you," he murmured, managing a slight smile. She had some kindness. More than he'd expected down here. He hoped to see her face again, though he doubted he would.

he/him/his

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:49 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You're quite welcome. Good luck with the boys. Be polite and don't go using their first names. I've got privilege to do that." She opened the door of the cell and picked up her bag. "Be well."

she/her

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:52 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Yes, ma'm. Will do." Another small, forced smile, and then he fell silent again. When her footsteps eventually receded, he slid back to the ground, resting his head back against the wall and closing his eyes.

All he wanted was to live. Was that so much to ask?

((I figure you can jump to Regulus/Matt dropping by?))

he/him/his

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:01 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Yup)

A few hours later, a pair of voices could be heard in the corridor. One was deeper and harsher, while the other was thin and reedy, like Gaius'. However, the thin voice was hissing angrily as the other voice rose above it, and the two seemed to be shoving over each other.

When the owners of the voices came into view, it was obvious they were the two sons Sera had mentioned. Both were very thin, with prominent cheekbones and gaunt, pointed features, and their eyes burned with a similar shrewd intensity. The taller man, however, had a bit more substance to him and his beard was thicker. His hair was a light chestnut color and hung to his shoulders. His eyes were bright green, nearly the color of his House's sigil.

The other man was shorter and slighter, with black hair instead of brown. It reached the middle of his neck. His eyes were the same pale blue as his father's, and they alighted on Cornyx with a blazing hostility.

"So this is the one," he said curtly. He, evidently, was the owner of the thinner voice.

"Indeed." The deeper-voiced man took a step forward, crossing his arms. "Tall, but he doesn't look like much."

"He looks like a bloody Ash," the other retorted.

she/her

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:09 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Voices. His head shot up, listening to the distant words, pinning down the voices. Committing them to memory. This would be important. The family resemblance between the two was unmistakable, and he was slowly beginning to recognize why people continued to liken his own appearance to theirs. Tall, gaunt, high cheekbones, though his eyes were darker than night where theirs had, at least so far, favored paler hues.

He didn't answer their words. Neither one had really addressed him, and it could too easily be taken as disrespect, so instead of speaking he merely brought himself to his feet. Gaze flickering between them but meeting neither one's eyes.

he/him/his

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:12 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Father said he did," the taller one pointed out.

"Just like he said not to stand too close to the bars, Mattathias." His brother grabbed his arm and pulled him back. "Or did you lose interest at that point in the lecture?"

"Sod off." Mattathias jerked his arm away and turned to Cornyx. "You're the ice boy, then."

she/her

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:15 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Ice boy. In spite of Gaius' apparent warnings, Cornyx made no move to approach them, sticking close to the back wall in the same corner he'd occupied since the start. There was hesitation before he answered but he didn't dare ignore the words entirely lest he incur further wrath.

"Y-yes, sir," he affirmed.

he/him/his

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:19 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You killed our soldiers. With ice."

"That's been established, Matt," the other man sighed. "Look. You were allied with Sashka Ivan. That means you took part in imprisoning our father, and that's a crime. We've been instructed to make you aware of the current intended punishment, nothing more. It's best you sit back and let us get this overwith."

she/her

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:24 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Current intended punishment. Silver threaded through the edges of his irises, unbeknownst to him, and his gaze went back and forth between both of them. Resistance wasn't his initial intention but there were some things he wouldn't suffer willingly again. He didn't speak. Merely watched. Waited.

he/him/his

"I think; therefore, I am."
— René Descartes