z

Young Writers Society

From the Lands Turned to Soot

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri May 20, 2022 3:28 am
Ljungtroll says...

They gestured to a specific area. "This used to be a forest so the terrain has changed a little, but yes. We're in this general area."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri May 20, 2022 3:36 am
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

She studied it for a bit longer. Knowing where the spirits were was helpful. "Where'd you get this map?"
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

112 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 3:54 am
Ljungtroll says...

"The castle," they replied. "It's an old map, I'm afraid, but we've found it useful. Somebody marked the spirits' locations on here."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

75 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 4:02 am
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

"Wonder who." She mused. She went back to filing Rollan's chains and pulled out a small hacksaw. It wasn't well suited for cutting cuffs and chains but it'd have to do.
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

112 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 4:05 am
Ljungtroll says...

Roland flinched. "Oh, dear..."
Bug stared at the saw. "Wow!"

she/her

75 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 4:07 am
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

"Don't even think about it." She glared at him. These tools had been gathered from what was left of various ruined smithies she'd discovered. While some were used merely for cutting metal to make swords and tools, she could use them when putting together her own weapons, including her firepieces.

112 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 4:08 am
Ljungtroll says...

"Where do you find something like that?" he asked eagerly. "Did you make it?"

she/her

75 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 4:11 am
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

"It's...just a saw. And it's tiny. Used to cut metal bits for making tools and parts for whatever."

112 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 4:12 am
Ljungtroll says...

"I love it! I'll give you my right hand for it."
"You'll do no such thing!" Jackson retorted. "Your hand is worth infinitely more than a saw, Bug."

she/her

75 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 4:15 am
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

"If I find you fishing through my things we're going to have problems." She kept to work. she'd made about a half inch cut through the cuffs so far.

112 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 4:18 am
Ljungtroll says...

"Don't leave them out and we won't have a problem," Bug replied.
"You're making progress," Roland said encouragingly. "Look at that, Jackson!"

she/her

75 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 4:24 am
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

"It's just at such a terrible angle." She tried to adjust the blade without cutting him. It was going to hurt at some point. There were weeping wounds under those cuffs and she was undoubtedly irritating them.

112 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 4:26 am
Ljungtroll says...

"Can I help in any way?" he asked. "Should I hold my hands differently?"

she/her

75 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 7:20 pm
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

"You're fine, just keep still and don't punch me if I nick you by accident."

112 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 7:27 pm
Ljungtroll says...

"Oh, I don't punch people," he assured her, staying as still as possible. "I'm more pacifist than this lot."

she/her

I'm also not sure why but even though I normally wear cool tones I have a feeling red would have been my color in the 1860s.
— Elinor