z

Young Writers Society

Canary in a Coal Mine

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:57 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Biryn eventually turned and headed back to his house.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:01 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Skip again? Maybe we can pull our characters together a bit longer)
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:11 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Sounds good! Which characters? I’m down for whoever)

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:14 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Same here but I wonder if I can get Nicholas to actually interact with someone competently. He's gonna be a difficult one, I can tell)
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:21 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Haha maybe Sadie? She’s less difficult than my other guys lol I don’t think she’d go to church but she’d be kind to him if he’s kind to her. They could run into each other at the pub? Or in a store? Idk)

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:23 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Sure, that sounds nice! Let's do the pub.)

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:30 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Sadie was tired. She loved her job, but it was an exhausting one. Especially this time of year with all the projects coming due and grading she had to get done. It seemed like no matter how many hours she worked, her grading pile only continued to grow.

It also felt like she was going to lose her shit if she had to spend another moment longer in her classroom.

So she gathered up the most recent art history exam she’d given her students and headed for the local pub to get some food and alcohol in her before she went insane.

She settled down at a corner table, ordered some food and a rum and coke — mixed, of course, so it would give the appearance of just being a soda. She’d already learned her lesson about drinking where students or parents could see you. Even if you were off the clock. There was no such thing as off duty when you were a teacher in a small town, it seemed. There was always some thing. And she didn’t want to fuel the outrage by getting caught drinking. The water was already hot enough that she was considering a female Cyrano. No point fueling it.

And then she got started on her grading, hoping the pub stayed quiet and that she wouldn’t get screamed at (again).

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:40 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Two hours past. Nicholas had forgotten the lettuce; he was having trouble focusing on things at this point but he was hiding it well, sipping gently at his beer in the hoped that slowing it down would help. He definitely couldn't drive home; he'd have to go sleep in the church, probably. Too dangerous to try the roads up to his house in the state. Damn, he was going to be late to the dinner. Or he was going to show up drunk. He'd have to explain it away like he always did.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:44 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

She mustered warmth for the barkeeper as he delivered her bacon cheese fries and steak kabob even though it was exhausting to do so — and she looked just as tired as she felt — then got to grading as she munched on her food.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:50 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

His eyelids were drooping. He took a deep breath and set down his beer. It didn't really matter anyway; they already knew he was a disappointment and this would only confirm that again. He had nothing to lose and wasn't competent enough to gain anything.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:51 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

She got greasy quickly and put the papers down to focus on eating first before she got back to her work. She glanced at the Reverend. He looked like hell; was he okay?

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:59 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Nicholas wiped his eyes and sat up, shaking himself. He had to at least look presentable to get himself to the church. He could leave his car here and get it in the morning.
"Check please," he managed, pulling out his credit card. The bartender took it, giving him a look he'd gotten many times before. Nicholas signed the receipt with a shaky hand and eased himself off the barstool.

(How long has Sadie been in this town would you say?)

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:02 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Hmm good question… let’s say she’s starting her 2nd year?)

Sadie watched him. He wasn’t planning on driving in this state… was he? She swallowed hard and wiped her hands.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:06 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Sounds good!)

He shuffled toward the door and pushed it open, pulling out his keys as he did so. He glanced down at them. He wasn't driving, though...didn't need these. He shoved them back in his pocket, resting against the door for a moment.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:13 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Nopeeeee! A jolt of alarm ran through her and she sprang to her feet in an instant, snatching up her wallet and her keys. She glanced at the barkeeper. “I’ll be back.”

He nodded. “I trust ya.”

She nodded to him and hurried to the door, trying to throw it open.

[they/he]

more fish is always superior to less fish
— Shady