Young Writers Society

The Serpent & the Crow

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:51 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(He'll be in the carriage with Gaius)
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:03 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Yes, sir."

He followed Gaius' lead, catching Marcella's gaze for a moment before dropping it again and stepping into the carriage. He had to duck to easily fit through the door, taking a seat across from the Serpent Lord.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:05 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius settled beside his daughter, resting his cane in the crook of his arm. "Would you care for a room in the upper levels of the castle or the lower levels, Cornyx?" This didn't really matter, but he needed to draw the boy out somehow.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:42 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

((Gaius, trying to make Cornyx come out of his shell at all
Cornyx, choosing the most noncommittal and absolute bare minimum of words))

Small talk. After all of this. Truly? If Gaius wanted something, why didn't he just say it? Cornyx might've been a tool but he wasn't a sociable one. "Wherever it is quiet, sir," he replied.

he/him/his

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:34 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"The upper levels, then. You may have my older brother's room." Gaius smiled to himself. There was nothing that would vex Michael more than a lackey having his chambers. "Will that suit you?"

she/her

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:46 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

((for once I approve of Gaius' reasoning))

"Yes, sir. Thank you." It was more than he expected, really. His own room was a relief, though. Where he could be left alone, rather than having the constant anxiety of other people.

he/him/his

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:54 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You're quite welcome. Gods know it needs an occupant." Gaius glanced out the window. "So. I noticed a significant drop in temperature during your punishment. Was that you?"

she/her

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:02 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

To this again. He still felt cold. Some of it was probably him, but there was also snow on the ground. He would've liked to plead ignorance on that point but recognized how thin the ice he was treading on was. Gaius wasn't stupid and lying to his face was unlikely to go undetected.

"S-s-some of it."

he/him/his

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:08 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"It was quite impressive. Do you only respond that way when in pain, or does it happen at other times?" Gaius leaned forward slightly. "And can you only control cold?"

she/her

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:12 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

It wasn't the pain. It was the fear. He didn't know what he could do. It hailed, once, but that could've just been the weather. There was ice sometimes. He couldn't remember most parts of it so he had no truly definitive answer.

"It-it-it-it--" Fucking hell. His jaw clenched and he started over, plainly apprehensive but too afraid to leave Gaius in the dark. "It-it's n-not pain. It's fear. L-like adrenaline is. I-I don't know what I can do." His eyes flickered up to Gaius, then Marcella, then down again.

he/him/his

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:19 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"When did you first find out about this power?" Marcella asked. Gaius raised an eyebrow. Was she finally taking an interest in more serious dealings? Likely not. Well, perhaps she could occupy herself with Cornyx instead of whatever foolish fancy she had been pursuing before this.

Marcella wasn't one to sleep around; Gaius had raised her to be a woman of honor, but she tensed to choose her bedfellows from the lower class. This didn't upset Gaius--he had married a member of the peasantry, after all--but he was rather frustrated that they all seemed to be brutes.

she/her

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:23 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

There was a moment of surprise when the woman spoke. He hadn't expected her to voice anything, and he glanced back at Gaius for a second as though trying to determine whether or not it was proper for him to answer. But the Serpent Lord didn't object, and she was obviously of some rank--probably his family, but he didn't know enough about the feudal system to work it out for certain--so he answered the best he could.

"I-I was nine the first time i-it happened but I d-d-didn't r-really know until..." What was the month? The day? "M-m-maybe half a year ag-ago."

he/him/his

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:26 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Only half a year?" Marcella blinked. "No wonder you couldn't control it. Do you think you could learn in time?" Gaius turned his head to face the passing trees, letting them talk but listening intently. Marcella would find out what he needed to know.

she/her

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:29 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Only if someone didn't kill him first. He wasn't human, he knew that much, but no one had really deigned to give him much more than that. He shook his head, uncertain. "I don't know." Three words that he was repeating far too many times in this conversation. Didn't know. Didn't know what he could do, what he was, why people were after him, why he hadn't known sooner, how to control it or if he could. Whatever 'it' was. Didn't even know exactly what had happened.

he/him/his

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:36 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Perhaps you'll learn while you live here." She smiled. "My brothers could help if you asked them, though they're not feeling very amiable right now." Her gaze darted to Gaius, but he didn't engage. Regulus and Mattathias were overprotective and headstrong, nothing more. They would get over themselves soon.

she/her

To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it.
— Olin Miller