Young Writers Society

Report a site bug

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:10 pm
Pretzelstick says...

It has been fixed. Thank you.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:36 pm
Sunshine1113 says...

A have a few bugs to report, all mostly for the new chat bar:

Im going to just assume you were playing around with a new format on mobile for ads (making them a floating footer thing) but it's not playing nice with the chat bar (every time I try to click on the chat bar it clicks the ad instead) and its just kind of really annoying. The layout of it would work out better if you could click a thing and minimize the ad or make it go away, otherwise it really takes up a good portion of the screen. And it seems to make the page take longer to load.

And there's a little bit of an annoying bug/quirk with the new chat as well on mobile. You can only have one or two chats at a time, if you have more than that the other chats you had up go away and you have to keep closing out of chats or finding their name in the online list again to talk to them and its really a pain to do. I dont know if you could make it like the old chat or have the same idea as the old chat where there were arrows you could click on to scroll/tab through your chats?

Also there's still an issue with the who's online chat list. A person could be offline for like 15mins and it still says theyre online.

And this is just a little bit nickpicky, but im just curious, and isnt really a bug, but (again with the new chat) the status thingy where you write your own status in place of "available" or "offline" status, you can write like an entire paragraph and in old chat, it would show that entire paragraph as your status, but in new chat it shows maybe 7 words before it just totally cuts off. I have seen a couple people who's chat /does/ show that entire paragraph of status which may be some sort of grandfathered in thing from old chat for some people. But if the status now only shows those 7 words it would be nice to know the character count (like on twitter) for statuses.

Also the chat filters for swear words seems to have been turned off. So if you wanted to keep chat family friendly still, that may be a bug (or you just didnt turn the filter on again after upgrading)

(as for browser versions I dont have my mobile devices on me to tell you, but for my iPad it was whatever the latest Chrome and Safari versions are out and on my Android phone it was the latest version of Chrome and Firefox and all the problems are the same on all browsers and devices)
~Sun Goddess~

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:11 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

@Sunshine1113 ->> As it says when you enable chat bar for mobile, "The chat bar is extremely buggy on mobile devices, and no support is given for it." I added the option due to popular demand, but no support is given for it.

I do not know the character count for statuses. It is a third party product, and I see no information in its documentation about it.

I'll go ahead and take a look at the swear list. Thanks for reporting it!

425 Reviews

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:16 pm
Vervain says...

While trying to reach the Forums page, I'm getting a Server Error (500) instead - that's the only page that seems to be down for me, so I don't know if something specific is going on or what. (Chrome 48.0.2564.109 m, Windows 8.)

--edit: And it's back! Woo, forums xD
stay off the faerie paths

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:40 pm
Rosendorn says...

I'm seeing doubles in the Green Room. Chapters 9 and 10 of Dreams of Stars are posted on the same date, with different works around them, but in the work list doesn't have doubles. (Sorting oldest to newest)
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 2.38.41 PM.png
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:12 pm
niteowl says...

Tapatalk still appears to be working weirdly. It gave me a notification yesterday, but I got the same error as before when I tried to open the page. It's an iPhone 6S+ running iOS 9.2.1.

On a semi-related note, my phone will still not let me stay logged on in Safari, but I think that's an issue with an app or something on my phone. :/ Tapatalk was an effective workaround for this (just open up a page in web view and I was on the site), but it's not working.

EDIT: Tapatalk was working again as of yesterday, not sure if you did anything or not.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:17 pm
Snazzy says...

I really, really hope this isn't a glitch.

I refreshed my page a couple of times, and it's still the same. (But I honestly didn't think 272 other people would like a post.)
Attachments
glitch.JPG
Disciple of Christ • Coffee Addict • Poetry Consumer

Formerly SnazzyPencil

863 Reviews

Reviews: 863
Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:56 pm
View Likes
Morrigan says...

Hello!

So I got a notification that @Pretzelstick had tagged me in a post. When I clicked on the notification link, it took me here.

She actually tagged me in a post on a club wall here.

Pretzel would like to add that she didn't make the post as an administrator but just posted as herself.

I just thought it was a little weird and that it might need to be brought to your attention! :)
"So many poems growing outta them they're practically a poet-tree"
Gringoamericano

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:22 am
BlueJayWalker10 says...

Hey! I'm having some trouble deleting drafts.
When I go to Settings>Mange Drafts it says that I don't have any drafts saved, though I know I have three. One of which I want to delete.

I've never looked at manage drafts before so I don't know if this has always been a problem or if it was just now. I'm going to say it's a problem just now because I've only got three drafts and all were made within the past seventy-two hours.
Thanks!
-Jay

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:06 pm
Aley says...

Hey,

I've been having an issue with the "Friends Online" list of people I follow. Some of my friends will be online, but they commonly won't show up on my "Friends Online" list in Notifications even though they're on the Chat Now list.

When I check their profile it says I'm still following them, but the only way I've found to fix the problem was to unfollow and follow them again, but that was only temporary, it's happening again.

It seems to be when they are "inactive" on the chat bar that it doesn't show them on the list in Notifications.
Spoiler! :

report problem.png
showing we are following one another

Report problem 2.png
showing the list and that they are online

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:15 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

@BlueJayWalker10

That's not a bug. The drafts under Settings are forum post drafts and not literary work drafts. If you click the Full Reply button instead of the Quick Reply, it will bring you to a screen with a full editor. At the bottom of the text box, there's three buttons: Save, Preview, and Submit.

With how replies are automatically saved now, you probably won't use the Save button much, though it can be really useful when you're making a topic and have to save it to finish later (especially if you SB).

There's currently no way to delete literary work drafts, though you can recycle them to post new works. You can access your literary drafts through the Publishing Center.

---

Bug report time: My connection to the YWS server keeps timing out. WFP seems to be okay though.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

425 Reviews

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:39 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Hey all, sorry for falling behind in bug reports. Had to run up to upstate New York unexpectedly last week, and I'm still sifting through everything.

@Morrigan ->> Heh, the same thing happened to me this morning. Fortunately, the fix is an easy one. What's going on is that it's taking the id for the club, but the notification assumes that id is for a member. So if the club id is 57, the notification instead takes you to member #57. Thanks for reporting it!

@Aley ->> Those two lists are generated differently. The "Who's Online" list in the settings dashboard and at the bottom of the forums is based on activity in the past 5 minutes. As it's updated only when a user loads a page, it's highly possible that they're currently online but just haven't loaded a new page in the past 5 minutes. Thus, they don't show up in that list.

On the other hand, the "Who's Online" chatbar list is constantly updated every 30 seconds because of a javascript function that continually polls who's online when you have it open. A user is only removed from that list if they have completely left the site for more than a minute.

The reason they work differently is because one is phpBB, and the other is cometchat: just two different products integrated together.

@Kyllorac ->> If/when the YWS connection times out again, take a note of the time and what page you were trying to access, and then send that to me. It's probably just a temporary hiccup, but it could also be something I was doing at the time or a more serious server error. If it was around 8am GMT, it could also be related to the daily backups.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:20 pm
SkyeWalker says...

I just saw this on someone's work. Apparently they've done 17 reviews, but have no stars?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 10.06.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 10.06.24 AM.png (37.05 KiB) Viewed 204 times
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

425 Reviews

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:26 pm
Nate says...

@SkyeWalker ->> It doesn't happen, but it's because the user hasn't yet picked an avatar. Once they pick an avatar, the stars will show up.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:28 pm
SkyeWalker says...

Ah. Got it! :D
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

The most important thing is to preserve the world we live in. Unless people understand and learn about our world, habitats, and animals, they won't understand that if we don't protect those habitats, we'll eventually destroy ourselves.
— Jack Hanna