z

Young Writers Society

Ads Are Back

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:21 pm
Rei says...

It is unfortunate that we have to have these ads to pay for the site, but I will do my part and click on them as long as I still come here.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:26 pm
David Guinness says...

Nice thing is, this time around with the ads, I've actually seen several things of interest to me. :)
David Guinness

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:26 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Rei wrote:It is unfortunate that we have to have these ads to pay for the site, but I will do my part and click on them as long as I still come here.

I'm gonna keep them as unobtrusive as possible so just let me know if they're getting in your way. Pretty soon, I'm going to test out having ads after the first and last post of every topic. But those are going to be just text and I'm going to try to implement them in such a way that it's seamless with the rest of the site. However, if they are in the way, just let me know.

In any case, I will never do what writing.com did. I used to really like that site, but I can't stand it now since they have animated ads EVERYWHERE. It's bloody annoying I tells yer. At first I put up with it 'cause I could afford to upgrade my membership to get rid of the ads. But then they went ahead and changed it such that you had to get a "premium" membership, or whatever the bugger was, to get rid of the ads. I've visited writing.com very seldom since then, and I think the site's activity peaked a couple years ago.

David ->> Same here, but I'm afraid most of the ads that are being shown won't appeal to most people on the site. A lot of the ads seem to be picking up on the "powered by phpBB" in the footer and so are displaying ads related to that.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:09 pm
View Likes
Ares says...

Google's kind of spamming us. The machine or however it works, is posting with nothing but ads as content.

Is it supposed to do that?

425 Reviews

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:20 pm
Nate says...

MetalHead wrote:Google's kind of spamming us. The machine or however it works, is posting with nothing but ads as content.

Is it supposed to do that?

Do you mean the google ad after the first post? That's not spamming; I added it there. I'm testing out different ad placements right now, and the overall header one was doing terribly, and was pretty annoying to boot. I've changed all the ads around and based on what I find, I'll probably move them around again.

For the after first post ad, that's going to be there for just a few days at the moment, then I'm going to experiment with an after last post ad. If neither do well or both are annoying, I may just get rid of ads in the topic pages and just stick to the main pages.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:24 pm
Black Ghost says...

I was wondering that too, thanks for clearing it up, Nate.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:27 pm
Ares says...

Nate wrote:Do you mean the google ad after the first post?

Yea, that's the one. I was just wondering what's goin on. Now I know, thanks.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:35 pm
Snoink says...

Ugh. It's still annoying. I would rather have them in the header.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:44 pm
Nate says...

Snoink wrote:Ugh. It's still annoying. I would rather have them in the header.

They ain't doing well either, so I'm going to be moving them to after the last post either tomorrow or on Sunday. But so that I know to avoid possible problems in the future, why do you find it less annoying than the banner? I'm the opposite way; I barely even notice the one after the first post.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:50 pm
Snoink says...

Mostly because, when I look for new posts, the first thing I do is look up and then down, and the Google ad distracts me.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:33 pm
Cassandra says...

^ Ditto.
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:38 pm
Black Ghost says...

The ad distracts me too, I think It probably would be much better after the last post, so I'm glad it's gonna be that way soon.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:40 pm
David Guinness says...

Strange... at the moment, all I see is placeholder for the ads, but no content. Just red Xs.

I looked at the source, and it looks correct.
David Guinness

425 Reviews

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:38 pm
Nate says...

David ->> Yep, that happened to me too from time to time.

I've changed the ads around yet again. This time, there is an ad displayed after the last post rather than the first. For me, I like it more.

You'll also notice some Google header links on the index and topic pages. Besides that, I've added a google search to the overall header. Right now, the google search is only on YWS Light, but if enough people use it, I'll put it on the others as well (Bobo sent me the files I will need to do that).

Feedback is welcome, especially on the google search box. Personally, I really like it since I can search the site a whole lot easier with it.

425 Reviews

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:53 pm
Nate says...

Got rid of the ads within the topic bodies, but only if you're registered on the site (if you are not logged in, the ads will still be visible). They were annoying me 'cause all they ever displayed were "Get phpBB Hosting!" or similar ads. If they offered helpful links, such as the "Our Story" ad on the front page that shows up every now and then, I'd keep them. But, they don't.

Anyways, I'm still experimenting with ad layouts and colors. The one on the front page will stay as it is, although I may decide to change the colors. Other than that, all the other ones I'm still fooling around with.

Chickens are honestly little dinosaurs. And they know it.
— ChieRynn