z

Young Writers Society

YWS: Apollo Updates Thread

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:04 am
Rydia says...

Still worth it! I don't think it particularly matters if the author's note is counted so long as reviewers are clear when they say 'on line ten' that they mean not line ten of the poem, but of the 'document'.

Perhaps it will encourage authors to leave all author's notes until the end or they can use an asterix if they really feel it has to be read before the poem, but generally I'm a believer that a poem should speak for itself.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:47 pm
Rosendorn says...

I think it's worth it. The formatting makes it way easier to read. And reference.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:42 pm
Blues says...

I agree, definitely have numbered lines.

I can see the usefulness. Not that I'm a poet xD

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:31 pm
Kale says...

I like the numbers, but the period at the end of them makes them look a bit messy. Most poetry books I've seen with numbered lines have only the number and nothing else. Having just the numbers by themselves would look cleaner.

Also, it looks strange to start the numbering at 5. It's like the numbers come out of nowhere, which makes things a bit visually confusing. Starting with 1 would make the line numbering more apparent straightaway.

It would also be nice to have the option to turn numbering off, and/or tweak the numbering to better match up with regular-length stanzas. I was looking at some of my form-poems, and sometimes the numbering is a bit distracting because it doesn't line up regularly with the pattern of lines per stanza, or it numbers as a line something that is not a line such as in this piece.

---

And I just discovered that pieces with [brackets] in the title do not display properly: Orpheus, Medieval Nasal Noises, The Birth of Magic.

Pieces beginning with a lowercase "i" or Roman numerals also do not display properly: i wonder, XVI, VII.

I also just noticed that the line numbers throw off text centering, which is another reason to make them optional/tweakable.

---

And I have no idea why this page is displaying funny: Old Poem Dump I. I think it might have something to do with the capital "o", but while this piece also suffers from page display issues, this piece does not.

---

And Rosey just informed me that things look different on her screen for lowercase "i"/Roman numerals/"o"s, so here's some screenshots.

Normal View

Big Gap

Also forgot to mention earlier that spoilers completely do not work, as can be seen in Orpheus, in particular.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:10 am
misstoria says...

I was just wondering when points would be back? It seems that sense we went to apollo no one has been reviewing. Thanks, Tori
You are more than the choices that you've made, you are more than the sum of your past mistakes. You are more than the problems you create, You'v been remade.

http://writemeaway.blogspot.com/

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:13 pm
View Likes
Lavvie says...

(Misstoria - I urge you to check out this for further information. Points will be returning but the website is still undergoing 'renovation'.)

I love the line numbering, Nate. I don't do much poetry at all, but I do know that it will definitely make a difference when reviewing :P However, I do agree with Kyllorac that the period after each number looks a bizarre and it is not usually like that. Nevertheless, it looks fantastic.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:11 pm
Justagirl says...

Ok, I feel stupid having this question, but, since I didn't see any news on it anywhere (probably because I'm lazy and half-blind)... Are notifications going to come back!?

Oh, and where's the Submit area? It evades me...
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

1272 Reviews

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:29 pm
Rosendorn says...

The submission system is nearly back; the link is on the previous page, but Nate's asking for no more testing. It's nearly live, but not quite.

Notifications are going to come back, but we have no timeline for it yet.

Feel free to check out the Apollo FAQ link in my sig, and post there if you're still confused. :)

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

297 Reviews

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:44 pm
Justagirl says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:The submission system is nearly back; the link is on the previous page, but Nate's asking for no more testing. It's nearly live, but not quite.

Notifications are going to come back, but we have no timeline for it yet.

Feel free to check out the Apollo FAQ link in my sig, and post there if you're still confused. :)

Thanks Rosey! :)
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

167 Reviews

Reviews: 167
Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:17 am
confetti says...

Might I just say, that I find it much too hard to find my own stories on here, which is something I feel I have to do because I never get notifications when I get a review. I don't know if this is just something that's in progress or what, but it's something that's been driving me insane. Anyway, keep up the hard work
"So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads."
— Dr. Seuss

1272 Reviews

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:57 pm
Rosendorn says...

Confetti- Portfolios will come back! :) Nate's working on the literary area, then he's moving onto profiles (which will include portfolios).

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:29 pm
Nate says...

Thanks Rosey :)

In any case, I do greatly understand a lot of people's frustrations. Fortunately, the new literary works area is almost done.

With the new literary works area, I'm also creating a modular commenting system, meaning I'll be able to add commenting anywhere with just one line of code. What that means for everyone is that as soon as the works area is done, I'll be able to very quickly add commenting to profiles.

After profiles are done, I'll get to work on notifications.

297 Reviews

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:40 pm
Justagirl says...

Nate wrote:Thanks Rosey :)

In any case, I do greatly understand a lot of people's frustrations. Fortunately, the new literary works area is almost done.

With the new literary works area, I'm also creating a modular commenting system, meaning I'll be able to add commenting anywhere with just one line of code. What that means for everyone is that as soon as the works area is done, I'll be able to very quickly add commenting to profiles.

After profiles are done, I'll get to work on notifications.

Yay! Thanks Nate! You're doing great!! :D

167 Reviews

Reviews: 167
Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:54 pm
confetti says...

Sounds wonderful, I can't wait
"So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads."
— Dr. Seuss

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:01 pm
Blues says...

Take your time Nate, the stuff you've done so far look excellent!

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
— Mark Twain