z

Young Writers Society

What Would You Like To See Added?

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:38 am
Bobo says...

Strikeout text is a must for writing forums (revision tools), and I know that it is possible because Proboards uses it. I bet you can even add it fairly easily, just find the html code for it and make a tag!

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:09 am
Black Ghost says...

what is strikeout text?
I'd like to know so I can agree or disagree

481 Reviews

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:21 am
View Likes
Bobo says...

text wid a line thru da middle yo

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:01 am
Snoink says...

Okay, I've been thinking a little bit more, and I think the profile page needs to be tweaked. My understanding in PHP is limited, so I'm not sure how you can accomplish this, or even if it's possible, but these are things I think would be neat.

1. Top three works.

For the few of us who have many works on YWS, there are some works we desperately want critiques on and others that we don't really care about because it might be old, etc. So something which might be cool is allowing users to choose three of their stories or poems and putting them on the profile page. This way, if someone is interested in critiquing a particular person's work, that someone can easily look at what they choose to read and critique.

2. More information about critiquing styles.

It might be a good idea to have an area about critiquing styles. For example, what different genres a person will or will not critique. So then, if I want someone to look at my poem, but I see that the person doesn't like critiquing poetry, I can avoid that person and ask someone else. And that might make fewer critiquers frustrated at getting asked to critique poetry when they're TERRIBLE at doing that.

On a similar note, this information about a member's style of critiquing might have information about what he looks at in a story, poem, etc. For example, if I were to write about my critiquing style, I would say that, primarily I look at grammar and sentence structure. This area would include information like this.

3. A critiquing list

I'm really bad at keeping track of all the requests for critiquing, so I think it would be nice to have something to keep track of it. Right now, I'm using "My Favorites." What I think might be really helpful if we put the watched topics on the "My YWS" page instead of just providing a link. Or something along those lines. And, if it was possible, maybe we can have an option of NOT getting emails everytime someone replies? That would be good.

Anyway... that's what I've come up with. I hope I've made a little bit of sense.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:53 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Strikeout would be useful for showing authors what words can be deleted!

Snoink's ideas sound cool too.

I'd also like it if we changed the points system so that you could get a maximum of 100 posts. At the moment, I get the same amount of points if I write a five sentence critique or an 8 page critique. This would be a sure-fire way to get longer reviews.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:56 am
Ego says...

I agree. I don't feel particularly motivated if I only get 50 points for a critique I worked really hard on.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:22 pm
smaur says...

Griffinkeeper wrote:I'd also like it if we changed the points system so that you could get a maximum of 100 posts. At the moment, I get the same amount of points if I write a five sentence critique or an 8 page critique. This would be a sure-fire way to get longer reviews.

I'm wondering if it's possible to award 50 points per 75 words, or something like that. Because as someone who writes obscenely long critiques — yeah, the fact that a 14-paged critique gets as much recognition (point-wise) as a 50-word critique/comment is not amazing motivation to slave 4+ hours on something like that.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:12 pm
Firestarter says...

Then you're punishing brevity and encouraging rambling. I'm not saying you ramble on your long critiques but 50 points every 75 words is extreme. I think we could have brackets, that progressively get larger:

0-75 words = 50 points
76-250 words = 100 points
251-500 words = 150 points
501-1000 words = 200 points
1001-2000 words = 250 points

I think this would be better. People who write larger critiques will still be awarded handsomely, and those that like to keep it short (but still pick up on a lot) get extra points too. Seems fairer.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:15 pm
Poor Imp says...

A good idea, critique-rule reform... But I agree with Jack -- no need to reward gargantuan posts to the detriment of the concise.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:33 pm
-KayJuran- says...

I'm liking that idea. :P You've got my vote!

481 Reviews

Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:05 am
Bobo says...

We also need new buddy and weblog buttons for the dark styles. In other words--Nate, if you have the PSD file for the buttons, send 'em over; if not, tell me and I'll take care of it myself.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:31 am
Duskglimmer says...

Firestarter wrote:0-75 words = 50 points
76-250 words = 100 points
251-500 words = 150 points
501-1000 words = 200 points
1001-2000 words = 250 points

This seems a lot better than the points system that we have right now. Maybe we could employ that in just the literary sections? Would that cause more problems that employing it all over?

And Snoink's idea of having the top three works that you want critiqued listed in your profile sounds like an excellent idea to me. I'd love to see that one come about if it's possible.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:47 am
Meshugenah says...

I like that Jack. Now, would it work?

I'd like to second (third, fourth?), the strikeout code text thingy.. it makes crits a lot easier at times. So, could you do that, Nate?
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:02 pm
Nate says...

Snoink wrote: And, if it was possible, maybe we can have an option of NOT getting emails everytime someone replies? That would be good.

Anyway... that's what I've come up with. I hope I've made a little bit of sense.

Go to edit your prefences under My YWS. The option has always been there. The other things you brought up are good ideas but unfortunately not possible.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:25 pm
zell says...

i would like a chatroom but with two people at a time instead of loads (it could be in our profiles but it only works if there online)

seeing this tag and going "oh what's this? :)" then getting slapped in the face with shady's good grammar is the worst thing that's ever happened to me
— SilverNight