z

Young Writers Society

The Drop-Menus In The Header

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:54 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

I recently did a survey on my blog, and while it was definitely interesting to read what everyone had to say, only one thing surprised me: the number of people who said they didn't like the drop-menus up top. If you aren't familiar with that term, a drop-menu is just when you hover your mouse over a link and a menu appears.

By the way, if you haven't done so already, please take my survey:
blog/Nate/take_a_pop_quiz_b-48134.html

So regarding drop-menus, what is it that people don't like about them? Is it just the recent change in color, or do drop-menus just suck in general?

If it's that drop-menus just suck in general, there's a few things I could do to fix that, although it'd necessarily involve a re-org of the header.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:02 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

The only thing I hate about drop-down menus are the folders inside. Namely, trying to get to Works With 1 Comment in Recent Additions. If I'm going even the least bit quickly, the menu vanishes because my mouse goes off the live area (doubt that's the right term; it's the area your mouse needs to stay on for the menu to stay open). Then I have to start all over again.

I guess I dislike them more than I think; I know the way to reach everything on YWS indirectly, without having to navigate the drop-down menus at all. I tend not to visit areas I can't get to indirectly (I haven't clicked on Novels, Anthologies, Market, or Fun in a long time, and I rarely check Nominations because I just forget it's there).

But if it were easier to access folders, I think that'd improve things.

And one nit-picky thing I've noticed is there's a slightly longer loading time when something in the drop-down menu is clicked? I could just be imagining things, though.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:10 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

I like them!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:18 pm
View Likes
AquaMarine says...

I really like them. :)
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:19 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Rosey ->> Made a few changes to the header.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:22 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Thanks! :D Complains about the header are now gone.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:34 pm
View Likes
Sins says...

I don't have a problem with them myself. I like them.

And I've replied to the blog now, so I've done my bit for the day. :P
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:06 am
View Likes
Evi says...

I think I would probably die an agonizing death without the drop-down menus, honestly. They're pretty much the only way I navigate.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:11 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

The drop-down menus are too lovely to kill. Like tiny white kittens hiding from the rain beneath a My Little Pony playset made entirely of childhood dreams.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:54 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

I like the drop down menus.
Got YWS?

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:40 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

I love the drop-down menus. I didn't like the new colour at first but I don't mind anymore.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:06 pm
View Likes
Ruth says...

They do bother me when I'm on via my phone and can't hover over them, but I know ways to get wherever I want to go these days, so it isn't too bad.
"Ruth.
She's alive because she is not dead,
and junk."
~JoJo

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:13 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

I don't have anything against the drop-down menu, I just preferred the black, almost transparent one.
And to what Grinny said, yeah, I agree. Drop-down headers must go if you ever plan on a mobile version.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:48 am
View Likes
JabberHut says...

I love drop-down menus! It seems so organized. And I like organized! The only thing I didn't like were the color choices. I don't remember what the old ones looked like (woo, short-term memory?), but the new grey and blue and how overly-simple it looks.. it doesn't seem to match the rest of the more professional-looking YWS? If that makes any sense. The colors/design look like what a beginner web designer would make just to make a passing grade on their project.

But honestly, I love dropdown menus. On my phone, I use the rolly mousey thing though instead of my finger-touch doodad to navigate them though. I guess some devices don't have that advantage. Really, though, mobile devices aren't a priority at all.

Yay, professional explanations!
I make my own policies.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:49 pm
View Likes
Idraax says...

The gray in them looks dull. It looks a little plain too.
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

Most people ignore most poetry because most poetry ignores most people.
— Adrian Mitchell