z

Young Writers Society

Ads Are Back

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:08 pm
View Likes
Sins says...

I didn't realise what had changed until a few minutes ago.

The grey is standing out to me loads now though... xD
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:25 pm
View Likes
Matt Bellamy says...

Don't care whether ads are there or not. But the grey is making me sad.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:30 pm
View Likes
Shearwater says...

The grey makes everything look cleaner lol.
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:00 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Matt Bellamy wrote:But the grey is making me sad.

Says the person with a skull for an avatar! :)

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:02 pm
View Likes
AquaMarine says...

I have noticed nothing.

The header was pretty before, but I'm not too bothered about ads. Does it help you if we click them now and again?
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:18 pm
View Likes
Matt Bellamy says...

Nate wrote:
Matt Bellamy wrote:But the grey is making me sad.

Says the person with a skull for an avatar! :)

Haha, touché!
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:25 pm
View Likes
Sins says...

Personally, I think a shade of ginger would suit it perfectly.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

425 Reviews

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:29 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

AquaMarine wrote:I have noticed nothing.

The header was pretty before, but I'm not too bothered about ads. Does it help you if we click them now and again?

It doesn't help me; it helps YWS (quite seriously). All the money YWS earns goes into its own bank account, and until relatively recently, I used to donate $50 myself each month to YWS. For the time being, the amount of money in the account is just enough to pay for hosting, contests, and other small costs. The problem is that YWS was $100 short in January, though the bank account had more than enough to cover the shortfall. More money will be drawn from the account in the months ahead as we finish up the Young Writers Literary Journal Vol. 3.

Regarding clicking, I'd only advise doing it if the ad interests you. Google has a very advanced algorithm that detects click fraud, and so not only may meaningless clicking not count anything but it could even get YWS blocked from Google's ad program.

Edit

After fooling around with colors for a bit, I've switched it back to the old background color. In cases where the users are split over whether they like a new change or not, it's generally better to stick to the status quo unless there's some sort of compelling reason to do otherwise. No compelling reason here, so back to blue!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:59 pm
Rosendorn says...

I'll admit the ads on YWS are a bit of a pleasure for me. I love seeing what sort of things Google comes up with for me/the site. My major probably has something to do with this. :P

And I like seeing the blue back. The grey was distracting.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:30 pm
View Likes
tinny says...

Hurrah for blue! I found the grey a little depressing, but the blue adds a nice splash of colour.

Admittedly it took my a while to notice that the ads were back, I guess I'm so used to seeing them they just felt like normal again.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:34 pm
lilymoore says...

I was so confused as to why I just had this blah blue background on the upper banner. That's when I remembered that I have an ad blocker add on.

Does that effect revenue for you at all or do you even know?
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

425 Reviews

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:39 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

lilymoore wrote:I was so confused as to why I just had this blah blue background on the upper banner. That's when I remembered that I have an ad blocker add on.

Does that effect revenue for you at all or do you even know?

I love adblock and even have it myself, but I always disable it for sites I like (and aren't ad heavy). Thing is, it's not just clicks that matter but eyeballs as well. Fewer eyeballs equals less revenue even if the clicks remain the same.

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:50 pm
View Likes
lilymoore says...

Wow, Nate, I didn't even know that was possible until I did some tinkering. Haha.
I hope my eyeballing helps out, now, if only a little.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:26 am
Rosendorn says...

Views are actually a hugely important metric for marketers; clickthrough is one thing, but views allows the brand name to get out there more. Which is very valuable for advertisers.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:46 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

If you click on the "i' off to the corner of the ad, by the way, you can customize it for you even more, making the merchandise, etc., more relevant to you. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

The person who has no opinion will seldom be wrong.
— Anonymous