z

Young Writers Society

The 1/11/11 YWS Crash

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:53 am
Nate says...

Sorry about that! The Young Writers Society crashed twice today; the first time for only about 5 minutes, and the second time for almost an hour. If you think the downtime was annoying, just imagine what it was like for me...!

In any case, the problem leading to both crashes has been fixed, and hopefully YWS won't crash again for quite some time. If you're interested in what caused the crash, read on.

Basically, there was a problem with the posts table. This table is huge; about 1.5 gigabytes of just text and it decided to crash today. I do not know what caused it to crash, but the fix was relatively simple. Unfortunately, the fix also took a long time to take effect, which is why the second crash lasted for so long.

As YWS grows, I am looking into procedures for ensuring there is redundancy. That way, if something crashes, something else kicks in to take its place resulting in little or no downtime. In the meantime, though, please be warned that YWS is going through growing pains.

Also, blame the monkey:
notfound.php

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:56 pm
Lava says...

It's the date I tells you. Five one's. It's jinxed.
Spoiler! :
:P
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:58 pm
Kamas says...

It's always the monkey's fault.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:01 pm
Sins says...

TWENTY TWELVE IS COMING.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:52 pm
LookUpThere says...

Yeah Skins, but first we have to go through... *shivers* 11/11/11

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
— Nelson Mandela