z

Young Writers Society

Young Writers Literary Journal 2011

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:48 pm
Nate says...

See here for information on submitting

As announced on the radio show, there will be a third edition of the Young Writers Literary Journal (YWLJ)! We will begin accepting submissions on December 1st, and will continue to accept submissions through January 31, 2011. After submitting, though, you will not hear whether your work was accepted or not until after January 31 (probably not until late March).

The target date for the release of the Journal is June 1st, but it will be almost pure coincidence if that happens! There are a lot of things beyond my control; one of those being how long it takes to list the book. Also, Amazon always takes as much as 8 weeks to post a new book, so while it will be available for sale on Lulu by June, it may not be on Amazon until July or even August.

So you may be wondering how this all works. First, we accept any genre, but the content must be generally family friendly. However, we consider it family friendly as long as there's no foul language, no explicit violence, and no explicit adult situations. Otherwise, we've had stories about suicide, drunkenness, and unicorns. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Second, we do take age somewhat into account. As YWS is a site for ages 13+, we always make sure the content of the Journal reflects the ages of our membership.

Third, we accept short stories, poetry, and artwork. In fact, we need more artwork! For short stories and poetry, there is no desired length.

Fourth, if your submission is accepted, we lack the financial means to pay you. However, you will get a free copy of the literary journal.

Fifth, here are the two past editions:
2008 Edition: http://www.amazon.com/Young-Writers-Lit ... 411&sr=8-2

2010 Edition: http://www.amazon.com/Young-Writers-Lit ... 411&sr=8-1

Sixth, more information on how to submit will be available December 1.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:28 am
MilkNCookies says...

O.o You made my day, Nate!
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:41 am
Hannah says...

I am SO excited. This will be my first real chance to submit! :D
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:43 am
silentpages says...

I'm excited, too. ^^ I have a really big urge to submit something... But I'm not sure what.

Suggestions welcome! 8D
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:03 am
borntobeawriter says...

Can we submit a short story that has been reviewed here previously? I mean, it makes no difference, right?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:32 am
Nate says...

borntobeawriter wrote:Can we submit a short story that has been reviewed here previously? I mean, it makes no difference, right?

You can.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:57 am
Evi says...

This is fabulous! I was hoping there'd be a chance for me to submit to one of these eventually, since I was too much of a newb when the last one came around to know of its existence. :) Now I need to pay some poor unsuspecting person to sift through my stories and tell me which ones they like best...
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:58 am
Elinor says...

Awesome! I have one short story that I'll work on polishing over the next couple days before I submit it. ^^

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:18 am
Lava says...

Whoo! And I have them holidays in December! :D
I will submit artwork definitely. :D
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:44 am
Tigersprite says...

This is awesome! :D I don't mean to sound greedy, but can we submit two works (like artwork and a story) or just one?
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:07 am
Demeter says...

I'm so excited for this! :D Just what I needed to make me write again.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:04 pm
JabberHut says...

Eeeee, I'm so excited. I'm already thinking of what to write/submit. =D

TIGERSPRITE wrote:This is awesome! :D I don't mean to sound greedy, but can we submit two works (like artwork and a story) or just one?

I've a feeling Nate will let us know of the details for submitting when it's December. But if I remember correctly, it was allowed for the previous two journals. ;D
I make my own policies.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:46 pm
BottomlessEyes says...

Can't wait!
Clouded Skies Cover Everything
I can no longer see
Why go on?

Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it is wrong, no matter how fast light travels,it finds the darkness has always gotten there first and is waiting for it.
—Terry Pratchett

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:36 pm
View Likes
Tigersprite says...

JabberHut wrote:Eeeee, I'm so excited. I'm already thinking of what to write/submit. =D

TIGERSPRITE wrote:This is awesome! :D I don't mean to sound greedy, but can we submit two works (like artwork and a story) or just one?

I've a feeling Nate will let us know of the details for submitting when it's December. But if I remember correctly, it was allowed for the previous two journals. ;D

Alright, thanks Jabber! WOOT! Can't wait! :smt003
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:35 pm
Firearris says...

Yay! I was accepted into the previous one, and I'm considering submitting to this one as well. :D These journals are always quite fun; I believe I still have a copy of the first one in my desk someplace, and probably four of the second one. xD Adam did brilliant with the artwork previously, I wonder if he'll be doing it for this also.
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

First you broke my moustache, now you break my heart.
— MaybeAndrew