z

Young Writers Society

Young Writers Literary Journal 2011

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:23 am
View Likes
Calligraphy says...

artwork doesn't mean photography does it.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:40 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Oooh, awesome! *starts thinking about possible submissions*
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:08 am
View Likes
wonderland says...

I would do this, but I'd totally be rejected. Plus, what would I write on?
'We will never believe again, kick drum beating in my chest again, oh, we will never believe in anything again, preach electric to a microphone stand.'

*Formerly wickedwonder*

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:14 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

wickedwonder wrote:I would do this, but I'd totally be rejected. Plus, what would I write on?

You shouldn't have that mindset-- you really never know unless you try. ;) And even if you do get rejected, you'll at least have showed the initiative to submit, and you'll get your writing out there, and hopefully have a greater chance of getting in next time.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:48 pm
View Likes
Mr.Knightley says...

wickedwonder wrote:I would do this, but I'd totally be rejected. Plus, what would I write on?

Eli's right- Don't be discouraged! And write about whatever you love to write about. =D

I'm definitely interested in doing this. I didn't get the chance last time, seeing as I was such a newb. ;) For artwork, I'm assuming we'll just send in pics/scans of our work when the time comes rather than send the piece itself?
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:40 pm
View Likes
Idraax says...

I wanna submit! But my art is bad, I only have one poem, and I don't think I can write a short story...:(
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:33 am
View Likes
Calligraphy says...

idraax wrote:I wanna submit! But my art is bad, I only have one poem, and I don't think I can write a short story...:(

you can try though, and that is the important part!

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:52 am
View Likes
Kamas says...

So up for this. : )
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
View Likes
Jagged says...

*rolls metaphorical writerly sleeves up*
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:40 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

This submission timing is perfect. I'll be off school and able to submit! :D
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:29 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

To answer a few questions...

Photography: Yes, photography is accepted. However, keep in mind that the Journal is in black and white. Thus, any artwork and photography must look good in b & w.

What if I get rejected?: As Elinor pointed out, don't worry about it. If you want to be a writer and that's your mindset, then you won't last long! Almost every famous writer dealt with dozens if not hundreds (in some cases, even thousands) of rejections before they made it big. But they took the rejection as a badge of honor and kept improving. Rejection isn't a bad thing because it means you actually did do something. The worst thing is to do nothing.

Submission of Multiple Works: We do allow multiple submissions, although we're going to do it differently this year than in past years. Previously, you could submit up to three poems. This year, you may only submit one poem. This way, you have to pick the best one. Also, you may also submit one short story and one piece of artwork on top of that. So all told, you could submit one poem, one short story, and one piece of artwork/photo if you wanted to. However, only one at most will be accepted.

By the way, if you wish to improve your chances of being accepted, here are some tips:

1. PROOFREAD. I can't stress that enough, and it's something that hits even experienced writers. Read over you work twice silently, then once aloud. Then have others read it.

2. Follow the guidelines when they are released. This will be stuff like including your name on the first page, word count, yada yada yada. Failure to follow them is an automatic rejection.

Following just those two tips will improve your chances significantly; I'm not kidding.

Other than those two tips, submit a short story. There are generally 50% fewer short story submissions than poetry submissions, but we end up publishing the same amount of both. Also, choose a relatively rare genre to write about. I always try to make sure that the genres are varied in the Journal, but it's tough because we get so many love stories. We don't get nearly enough historical fiction, science fiction, steam-punk, or even fantasy. In other words, don't write a love story and you'll improve your chances. That's not to say the main character can't have a love interest, far from it. But think of it as more like Star Wars vs. Titanic. The characters in both have love interests, but one is only about the love interest.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:26 am
View Likes
Lava says...

Nate wrote:Photography: Yes, photography is accepted. However, keep in mind that the Journal is in black and white. Thus, any artwork and photography must look good in b & w.

Art or Photography?? *aaah, torn.* We'll see.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:06 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

Nate wrote: So all told, you could submit one poem, one short story, and one piece of artwork/photo if you wanted to.

Yaaaaay! :D
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:40 pm
View Likes
silentpages says...

Rest assured, you'll be receiving either a sci-fi or a fantasy short story submission from me. ^^ I just have to decide what to enter...

When you say we have to put our name on the first page, is that YWS username or real name?
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:42 pm
View Likes
AquaMarine says...

silentpages wrote:Rest assured, you'll be receiving either a sci-fi or a fantasy short story submission from me. ^^ I just have to decide what to enter...

When you say we have to put our name on the first page, is that YWS username or real name?

I'm pretty sure the specifics of submissions will be available December 1st. :)
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

"If I see an American in real life or a kiwi in a blockbuster, it feels surreal and weird, and like a funny trip."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi