z

Young Writers Society

Groups Are Dead. Long Live Groups.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:31 pm
Nate says...

Over the next couple weeks, there will be a steady phase-out of groups and all current groups will be converted into Pages. As part of the conversion process, all discussion topics will be kept; your group is not going to lose any data whatsoever.

Why are we doing this? The groups section is now redundant with the pages section, and the pages section offers more features. For one, a page admin can send out a newsletter to everyone subscribed to that page. For another, pages have profile walls that make discussion easier among people who have a shared interest.

Plus, most importantly, pages enable YWS to have unlimited groups. Part of the problem with the current system is that there's a limit to the number of forums YWS can have. Once we get to that limit of 1000, the site will stop functioning correctly. We're already at around 600 forums believe it or not.

So with that said, here's the three stage plan:

1. Stop creating new groups. This has already been happening as only one group has been created in the past two months.

2. Delete inactive groups. Any group with no activity in the past three months will be archived. After another few months, it will be deleted if no one claims it.

3. Convert the remaining groups to pages. This will be done on my end.

If you have a group, and you do not want it converted to a page, please let me know asap via private message (not through my wall, not through this thread, but through private message). If your group is very active, we may work something else out.

Also, many groups already have pages. If you know this is the case then please let me know through this thread. It'll make the conversion process different, although all discussions will be kept.

Additionally, if you can think of any changes to the pages system to make all this easier, it'd be appreciated. Some slated updates are to include the ability to have multiple admins, enable replying to page announcements through your feed, and to tie in page discussions into the 'View new posts' search.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:04 pm
Snoink says...

This is awesome! Thanks Nate. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:08 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

Woot!
Blinking Cursor has both a group and a YWS page.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:10 pm
Snoink says...

Also, now that I think of it, The Completely Evil Plan has a page -- Spun Yarn.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:51 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I like this plan. The redundancy of both pages and groups had already struck me and I like the page format much more.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:03 am
Bloo says...

I just have a suggestion for The Double Trouble Writing Huddle group. What if it was turned into a Sub Forum in Storybooks?
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:17 am
Rosendorn says...

Awesome! :D This would have worked well for a few groups that I've been a part of.

Bolt wrote:I just have a suggestion for The Double Trouble Writing Huddle group. What if it was turned into a Sub Forum in Storybooks?

I like this idea. The group can be a bit stale, and the way it's set up there shouldn't be any stories being crashed by people wanting to be in an already full story. It's basically a version of the storybook forum anyway.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:21 am
Sins says...

Wow, Bolt can actually be useful at times.

Bolt wrote:I just have a suggestion for The Double Trouble Writing Huddle group. What if it was turned into a Sub Forum in Storybooks?
:wink:

I agree that this could work really well.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:01 pm
AquaMarine says...

Hogwarts/Harry Potter has a group and a page.
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:40 am
Ranger Hawk says...

Ranger's Apprentice fans has a group (made by me) and a page (made by IsebellaLynnette). Hope that doesn't complicate things, and I'm totally fine with Isebella being the admin of the page. :D
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:42 am
Kale says...

Suggestion 1: The ability to link to Discussion Board topics individually. The nice thing about the Groups was that each thread could be separately linked, but it doesn't seem to be the case for Pages.

Suggestion 2: In conjunction with S1, make the Info page the default tab for Pages. That way, important information (like the Page rules) would be the first thing that anyone sees upon visiting the Page.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:31 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

Great idea! =D Flyleaf Fans has a page as well.
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss