z

Young Writers Society

The FEED

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:10 am
Nate says...

Firstly, my apologies to Evi for not going with Caligrafeed. Unfortunately, the name was too long! It didn't fit right in the header of the profiles.

Okay, so what is this all about? Many moons ago, I began talking about incorporating a newsfeed into the site; just something that'd make it easier for you to keep in touch with the friends you make on YWS. The idea was to take the guestbook, dramatically expand it, and then add little updates about what those you are following are doing around the site.

And now... it's completely done. The newsfeed ended up morphing into three new/updated sections of the site: the Feed, the new Profiles, and Notifications. I've already talked about the last two before, and I just finished the Feed tonight.

The Feed, accessible via your profile (there's also a link to it at the very top), compiles three elements together:
- Status messages
- New literary works
- New blog entries

So not only can you know a lot more easily now when your favorite YWS author adds a new literary work, but you can even transform your profile into a discussion forum. You can share links, writing tips, and ideas with all the people who are following you since you'll be showing up in their feed. It's like a weird semblance of Facebook and Twitter.

In any case, I'm looking forward to what the community ends up doing with these new updates. You have the tools now to transform YWS into something really special.

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:25 am
Jas says...

I really like these new additions! They are so cool. Now I don't have to beg people to PM me with the next chapters of their stories! I can just look at my super cool Feed. :) Thanks Nate.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:19 am
Demeter says...

I LOVE the FEED.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:04 pm
Yuriiko says...

FEED our minds. XD

I love the new changes, Nate! :D
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:10 pm
Day says...

Now it is even more Facebook-y which is really awesome!
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:07 pm
LittlePetRock says...

I am FED. :)
Star light; star bright,
It is time to take flight.
Off I go through the dark of night.
All my hopes and dreams in sight.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:10 pm
Evi says...

Firstly, my apologies to Evi for not going with Caligrafeed

Haha, I understand. The FEED is pretty awesome too! All these new additions are very exciting. Thanks Nate!
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:28 pm
Emerson says...

*squee*

This is so cool.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

123 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 123
Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:32 pm
Vanadis says...

I was pleasantly surprised with the feed. *thumbs up.*
We've got deep-fried water bears and horse wigs!

If you're slapped in Guam, you're slapped in real life. --chibibo

Need someone to review your novel? Why don't you try checking here? Buddy up!

Last time I checked, love had no gender.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:35 pm
Blink says...

Wooow. This is better than Facebook. I mean, it's brilliant! :)
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

2058 Reviews

Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:37 pm
Emerson says...

uhhhm... What if I broke the feed? More specifically, your (Nate's) status update broke the feed.

The attached shows what happened when I commented on your status...that's a post from you form 2005 O_O

At first I just thought "Wow, Nate is SO cool he got a bazillion comments in one day!" and then I realized they were from five years ago. xD
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-06-18 at 9.34.40 AM.jpg
Screen shot 2010-06-18 at 9.34.40 AM.jpg (110.9 KiB) Viewed 417 times
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:01 pm
Nate says...

I think I figured it out Suzanne. What may have been going on is that your browser hadn't noticed that the javascript file used to power the Feed had been updated, which is exactly how it should act. So I just renamed the file, which forces the browser to download it again. So hopefully no more issues!

Everyone: Just a note of caution, this a very simple feed. With Facebook, they have a very complex algorithm that ranks items in your feed according to a whole host of factors, such as how often you visit that person's profile and how many friends you share with someone else. For YWS, the feed is ranked only by who you are following and the time of the item. I could add more factors, but I don't have the skill to do that efficiently. That is, I could do it more like Facebook does, but I can only do so very inefficiently, meaning the page would take minutes to load.

2058 Reviews

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:09 pm
Emerson says...

I'm glad it wasn't a challenge to fix. ^^

For YWS, the feed is ranked only by who you are following and the time of the item.
I actually went through my "following" list yesterday and got rid of people. xD What timing!

Oh, and I noticed that our status messages appear under our names on the profile. I have no words for it. So I'm going to say some overused ones instead: this is awesome.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:17 pm
JabberHut says...

FEED should stand for something. Friends Exchanging Enlightening Discussions? Freaky Elephants Educating Dogs?

On a related note, I love this FEED so much. I keep thinking I should check Facebook, but this is so much more cool. xD
I make my own policies.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:06 pm
Lauren2010 says...

I want to feed my FEED a sandwich of awesome, but then it might get too awesome it would implode, and we don't want that. xD

I love the FEED, as does everyone else. :D
Got YWS?

Besides, if you want perfection, write a haiku. Anything longer is bound to have some passages that don't work as well as they might.
— Philip Pullman