z

Young Writers Society

Donate $1 (US), get a bookmark!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri May 28, 2010 1:13 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Note: Unless otherwise noted, all currency is in American dollars. If you live outside the United States, please be sure to read the bottom of this post.

So, I just got 1000 bookmarks printed up and now I need to start giving them away. But rather than have you send me a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE), I'm asking you to donate $1 (US) to YWS, which is about the same cost it takes to send a SASE.

If you choose to donate more, then that's great! A $20 donation will get you a bookmark, and a YWS bumper sticker. A $50 donation will get you all of the aforementioned, along with a copy of the latest Young Writers Literary Journal (2010). If you donate $75 dollars, I'll also add a copy of the first Young Writers Literary Journal (2008).

How to donate

All donations will be handled by Paypal so you'll need a credit/debit card. That means many of you will need to get your parents' permission first.

Officially, the fundraiser will not begin until June 1st, at which time I'll be adding a donation widget to the front page. So if you wish to donate, please hold off until then. However, there is also a donation area under the About link in the header.

What happens with a donation?

Your donation goes into the YWS bank account, which is managed by HSBC (a British bank). The funds in that account are used to pay for YWS' management costs, such as publishing the literary journal and paying for the server.

But I'm doing this now to ensure YWS' longevity. Due to some efforts on my part, there is the potential for YWS to undergo some explosive growth this summer. If that happens, a lot of new server capacity will have to be added in a very short time frame. That costs money.

Even if that does not happen, the funds will still be used to ensure that YWS continues to exist for years, if not decades.

I've already donated in the past

If you have already donated in the past, then you will be receiving the freebies listed above without you having to make another donation.

International Currency Conversion

It costs more to send stuff international. Plus $1 (US) does not equal $1 (AUS). So below are the donation amounts to obtain a bookmark if you live outside the US:

Australia: $2 (AUS)
Canada: $2 (CAN)
Euro: €1.50
India: 100 Rupees
New Zealand: $2 (NZ)
United Kingdom: £1

286 Reviews

Reviews: 286
Fri May 28, 2010 1:53 am
silented1 says...

Wait, donate 1 US dollar and we'll get a book mark... So we're buying a bookmark for 1$?

Also, is there another way to "donate" other than using paypal?
[quote]If it's arguable, then it probably is." - Xeriana X

Link to my will review for food thread: topic71713.html

425 Reviews

Fri May 28, 2010 5:34 am
View Likes
Nate says...

silented1 wrote:Wait, donate 1 US dollar and we'll get a book mark... So we're buying a bookmark for 1$?

Also, is there another way to "donate" other than using paypal?

Not really. $1 is merely the minimum donation amount, and the bookmark is a thank you.

The only form other than paypal would be by mail; that is, you put the donation envelope in the mail and send it to me. But, I really rather avoid that for a whole bunch of reasons, mainly because paypal is more secure than the postal system.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri May 28, 2010 6:15 am
Snoink says...

Yay! I might have to skip out a couple of Carl's Jr. lunches, but I totally want that bumper sticker! :o

EDIT: Also! For those who are wondering, "Ahhh! What's on that spiffy-looking bookmark?" Well. It's only NATE'S FAVORITE WRITING QUOTE OF ALL TIME.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Sat May 29, 2010 12:01 am
View Likes
Adnamarine says...

June 1st can't come fast enough!
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Sun May 30, 2010 2:04 pm
View Likes
Mr.Knightley says...

Very smexay and tasty-looking. I'll definitely donate, though the Bank of Knightley has been looking rather slender of late. :/ All thanks to my very awesomesauce new bible and cross necklace. Oh, well! I love them much.

I'll try and donate more than one dollar, but I might not be able to reach the twenty dollar mark. But with no car, it's not like I need a bumper sticker anyways. ;)

Oh, and by the way, I hope these are made from recycled paper, mister... o:<<
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Mon May 31, 2010 5:32 am
View Likes
Bloo says...

*goes to steal mom's credit card*
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:59 pm
View Likes
Day says...

Just bought one of those spiffy bookmarks. If anyone wants one send me a PM because I've got $3 left on my paypal, and I doubt I will use it.
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:55 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

Oh dear.

I've been begging my mom to let me get one; but she refused flatly. She doesn't seem to believe in online payment.
And, I can't use my credit card as it's linked with hers.

Also; I have Rs.200 in my wallet right now, but obviously, I can't mail it.

*Long Sad face.*
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:11 pm
View Likes
Day says...

EDIT: Nvm you don't need to give me your address just send me a link to your paypal accounts and first 3 people can get $1.
Last edited by Day on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:12 pm
LittlePetRock says...

Lava wrote:Oh dear.

I've been begging my mom to let me get one; but she refused flatly. She doesn't seem to believe in online payment.

My mom doesn't like do buy things over the internet too. :(
I want one so bad, it hurts.
Star light; star bright,
It is time to take flight.
Off I go through the dark of night.
All my hopes and dreams in sight.

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:44 pm
canislupis says...

*gasps* I want one!

425 Reviews

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:54 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Just sent out the bookmarks for everyone who has donated in the past year, which amounts to only ten people fortunately! I added a note to each, so please forgive my handwriting when you receive yours. It's pretty atrocious.

The closer you live to Maryland, the faster you should get it. So unless you live in a rural area, all those within the USA should have their donation gift by Friday or Saturday. Those outside the USA & Canada should probably expect a letter by Monday or Tuesday, unless you live in a rural area.

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:58 pm
AquaMarine says...

Ah, this is so awesome. :D I'm actually receiving a debit card sometime this week, and will therefore be able to donate myself. *basks in glow*
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:19 pm
View Likes
Adnamarine says...

Not suggesting that anyone should do this without their parents permission if they need it of course, but if you don't have a credit card you can still donate through paypal using a checking account if you have one! That's how I did.
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

Every time someone steps up and says who they are, the world becomes a better, more interesting place.
— Captain Raymond Holt