z

Young Writers Society

Is YWS Confusing?

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sat May 08, 2010 2:47 pm
View Likes
Tatra says...

I think I have returned at the perfect time. :D I disappeared back at the start of November, so it was right after we got the shiny new site. So, I was gone for quite a while and came back to a super shiny site. :D I do have to admit that I was flailing a bit at all of the new stuff, but I read a lot of the stuff in the Information Desk and I checked out the Questions and Answers forum and I was able to figure out a lot of the stuff that I was clueless on.

I think it might be a good idea to have one central FAQ that explains all of this, just so that it's easier to direct the newcomers to so that they can figure out a lot of this stuff. :D

Happy to be back on the site.
Some people fall in love and touch the sky.
Some people fall in love and find Quicksand.

- Incubus

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sat May 08, 2010 4:13 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

I think I remember having some difficulties navigating the old site when I first joined, but that was probably just the being new thing. I've always been quick to catch on to things, so I wasn't confused for long.

A manual would be fabulous. A lot of new members seem to have a hard time figuring stuff out, especially people who naturally take some time to get the hang of things. People are different, and a manual would be very helpful for those people who need it.

Someone suggested bringing back the taglines. I always liked those. They were especially nice in the storybooks to advertise when a storybook was open or closing. This is easily done in the title, but it always looked kind of nice with the taglines. And they could concievably be good in the fiction forums, at least to make things look less cluttered. Chapter numbers could go in the taglines, or other side comments.

The new site didn't provide me with many difficulties, as far as navigation and such. So I don't have much to say there. A nice manual would still be a good idea, in my opinion.
Got YWS?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat May 08, 2010 10:19 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Hey Tatra! Glad to see you back :D

On taglines: Those can definitely be brought back. It actually never occurred to me to use them the way Lauren described.

Reviews: 2
Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:09 am
View Likes
theboss says...

The forum is a bit confusing.
I can't find the recent post's thing for example.
Also what do these points do?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:34 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

There's posts since last visit on the first page when you first log in. That's the closest we have to a recent posts thing. The points can be used to buy gifts for people if you go to the 'my gifts' section under yours or anyone else's profile. They're also sometimes used as currency to post in sections of the site.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:09 pm
Evi says...

Well, Kitty and theboss, there's also that long gray box in the bottom right-hand corner of the home page that's devoted to "Recent Posts", although it only encompasses the Literary Forums. Is that what you're looking for?

EDIT: Actually, it includes posts in the Welcome area as well.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:15 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

On the home page, you'll see something that says "*your username*'s Menu". Check the first link, called "View new posts". You'll get all new posts since you last logged in. It covers posts in literary, community, and any groups you're in.

However, I last logged in at about 10 last night, logged in at 9, and there are 15 pages of new posts. It's best to just look at the forums you're interested in for new posts there.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

286 Reviews

Reviews: 286
Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:02 pm
View Likes
silented1 says...

Well, it seems pretty simple, the only thing I found complicated was the point system.

But something that is currently complicated with the site is the sub forum things and just finding the more unused parts of the site, like WRFF or something like that, it gets kinda hard to find something specific. But it's still easy compared to what it could be.
[quote]If it's arguable, then it probably is." - Xeriana X

Link to my will review for food thread: topic71713.html

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:42 pm
Lava says...

silented1 wrote:Well, it seems pretty simple, the only thing I found complicated was the point system.

But something that is currently complicated with the site is the sub forum things and just finding the more unused parts of the site, like WRFF or something like that, it gets kinda hard to find something specific. But it's still easy compared to what it could be.

A SiteMap is being planned as far as I know. Should come into effect in a while.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

constant state of confuzzle
— Quillfeather