z

Young Writers Society

Christmas Week Updates 2009

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:57 am
Nate says...

I have nothing to do at the moment, and it's driving me crazy. I'm on break, which is cool. There's also a foot of snow outside, which is also cool. But combine the two together, and I'm pretty much confined indoors with nothing I have to do.

So, I've been updating and tweaking a lot of stuff on YWS in the past couple days as anyone will notice. Some of this stuff is pretty noticeable, but other stuff will only be noticeable by me. Here's a partial listing of these updates.

Genders
Finally, genders are back. You'll see them on profiles and topic pages, and you can set yours by going to "My Profile Settings" (it's under My YWS). Just scroll to the bottom of that page, and you'll see the option to "change" your gender.

Age on Topic Pages
This has finally been fixed; no more guessing as to how old someone is. You can see it right there in their poster details. This should help a lot with reviewing.

Groups
This is the biggest change this week, and it's a big one. The groups section has been completely revamped, and the groups index page is now much easier to wade through. Jabberhut and PenguinAttack also identified all the dead groups so no more of those either.

However, group application pages are still not working. This is because of how devilishly complex the software makes it to create a new group with its own forum. So if you have a new group, send it to me by PM.

User Applications
This is fully working on the user side now, so no more losing applications. However, mods should note that there is currently no way for other than myself to review applications. I'm working on it though!

Bye Bye Facebook Connect
Facebook Connect was actually working out rather well. Unfortunately, it's not a standard part of phpBB and the program I was using to make it all work is riddled with bugs. So I've removed it for now, although it'll probably come back in the future.

Blogs and Cookie Problems
Users of Safari, take heart! No more will you have trouble accessing blogs or other sections of YWS. The issue was related to an IP logging system that was riddled with bugs. For most browsers, it worked fine. But for Safari, it went insane. So I've gotten rid of the program, and now everything is cool.

Permission Updating
What I've mostly been doing is checking the permission settings for each forum, which is an awful task since YWS has so many forums once you start counting groups. The net effect, though, is that guests can no longer access groups and you can now use smilies in the information desk. Everything else I did was pretty much just to make life easier for me in the future (tidying up that is).

More Stuff
There's a whole lot more I did to ensure YWS remains speedy as can be. Topic pages can still be slow to load, but they no longer should take a minute to come up (10 seconds at most). Otherwise, the rest of the forum should be quite fast.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:01 am
Prokaryote says...

Sweet potatoes. I like the gender and age indicators. They help me to believe that I'm not just talking to a bunch of bots.

Pork

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:41 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

Yay!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:20 pm
Rosendorn says...

Sweet stuff, Nate! :D

Also, no more Safari problems? Win!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:39 pm
Kamas says...

*bumps Safari on the head* Be good now.

:D That's absolutely amazing Nate! Have a marvelous Christmas, and take a rest. You definitely deserve it.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:02 pm
Blink says...

Awesome! You're actually insane, Nate. =D
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:11 pm
Evi says...

I need to find a new, creative way to say, "You're my hero."
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:29 pm
Writersdomain says...

Fantastic! Thank you so much, Nate! :D
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:30 pm
JabberHut says...

Teehee, riddled with bugs!
I make my own policies.

It is most unlikely. But - here comes the big "but" - not impossible.
— Roald Dahl