z

Young Writers Society

No All-Caps in Titles

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:01 am
Nate says...

Come on people. No all-caps in titles. It's not a hard rule to follow.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:16 pm
Kamas says...

Please and thank you.

I personally avoid those works. It's not like it draws anymore attention to it.

*bows*

Kamas

425 Reviews

Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:53 am
Nate says...

*bump*

Once again, how hard is this? Why can people not understand 'No all-caps in titles'? What about this is difficult to understand? Sometimes it's an innocent mistake, but there are certain people I've had to remind multiple times about this rule.

If you see all-caps, please report that topic. At the moment, the biggest infringers are by far to be found in storybooks, which may lead to an approval system for that section like we used to have. After all, if someone can't follow such a simple rule, it's likely that other rules are being broken as well.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:09 am
Rosendorn says...

Would it be possible to make "All-caps title" an option when reporting a post? Or is that redundant, since we have the "options" field? I'm just thinking it would be easier for mods to see a report titled "all caps post."

425 Reviews

Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:50 pm
Nate says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:Would it be possible to make "All-caps title" an option when reporting a post? Or is that redundant, since we have the "options" field? I'm just thinking it would be easier for mods to see a report titled "all caps post."

It's possible, and maybe we should do that. For now though, the problem is almost exclusively confined to the storybooks forum so what I may do is require storybook approval.

Although, since the problem only really comes up when people say 'NEW,' 'EDITED,' or 'NEED NEW MEMBERS,' it might be better just to ban such advertising in all titles. I rather not since I prefer as few rules as possible, but the recent rash of 'Storybook Project (OMG! NEW!!!)' may necessitate such a rule...

1272 Reviews

Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:59 pm
Rosendorn says...

It's actually more common than you think. New members in fiction/poetry and some posts in the Lounge/Randomness (or is that mostly exempt from the all-caps rule?) can be all-caps titles.

I'd suggest banning all-caps advertisements. If there's a deadline for getting reviews before the work has to be removed/submitted somewhere, an ad like that is useful. As is when you've edited the work and still want more reviews, you'd put (edited) in the title with an advertising implication. It's just the all-caps that are annoying.

Reason I suggested the report thing is, I've not reported posts (before I was a JM) if there wasn't a field saying exactly what I wanted to report. I'd think a lot of members have a similar intimidation, so a way to report all-cap titles easily would benefit.

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:45 pm
Young gun says...

Your rule has a loophole:

Take for example this title:

"ALL about WAR"

Would such a title be allowed?

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:19 pm
Kamas says...

Still considered caps Young. I think Nate just wants you to use proper punctuation.

So All About War. Nothing more.

1272 Reviews

Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:18 pm
Rosendorn says...

"No all-caps" means just what it says. Can't have any word in all-caps in a title, unless (Nate correct me if I'm wrong here) you have some sort of acronym in the title. So, a title like "CSI Spoof" is fine. Or, if you're shortening a novel title as you post more parts (again, this would be an acronym), you can put "PoYL- Part 3" for a title (I made up an acronym there)

425 Reviews

Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:35 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Rosey is completely right.

Young Gun: Dude, use common sense. No all-caps means No all-caps. What about that is difficult to comprehend?

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:37 pm
JabberHut says...

If your title needs emphasized words (in Gun's example, "all" and "war" would be assumed as emphasized), then you need a better title to begin with. If you're not emphasizing them, there's no purpose to have them capitalized unless both "all" and "war" were acronyms, in which case make that clear in your post/work.

Digging for loopholes like that is too much work to post something. As Nate said, use common sense.
I make my own policies.

Random avatar

Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:41 pm
Young gun says...

ALl ABOUt WAr?----still no violation.

1272 Reviews

Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:45 pm
Rosendorn says...

Gun, what this rule means is titles should have proper punctuation. Don't put caps outside of the first letter of a word, or an acronym. So, your title there would still be edited. (Yes, mods will edit out too many cap titles if we see them!)

Random avatar

Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:49 pm
Young gun says...

Anyways...does not bother me.I don't use all caps anyways...but people might find a way to cheat this rule legally.

425 Reviews

Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:58 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Young Gun: How about you just use common sense? I'm sure you think you're very clever for finding an apparent 'loop-hole,' but I can assure you there is nothing clever nor smart about that. What is clever is utilizing common sense.

We are all broken. That's how the light gets in.
— Ernest Hemingway