z

Young Writers Society

What on YWS is unnecessarily difficult?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:06 am
Nate says...

The title says it all. When on YWS, what do you think is unnecessarily difficult? On my list right now is checking how many points you have and joining a group. But I know there's a lot more than that!

Also, if you have a possible solution, please share!

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:14 am
Angels-Symphony says...

Maybe this is just me, but checking who's reviewed your work is definitely the problem I've been having.

There might already be a way you can check who's reviewed you, but I certainly can't find it. So I end up having to click through my latest works every time I log in to check -.-"

It probably exists, but it just needs to be easier to find.

-Shina

425 Reviews

Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:18 am
Nate says...

It does exist. Just go your profile, reviews, then look on the left hand side. But maybe I could create an alert that tells you whenever you've received new reviews.

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:34 am
BigBadBear says...

Nate wrote:It does exist. Just go your profile, reviews, then look on the left hand side. But maybe I could create an alert that tells you whenever you've received new reviews.

I really like that idea. The only thing that I find difficult is finding the points, but you've already mentioned that.

-Jared

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:32 pm
MissMiaFacinelli says...

It's quite hard trying to get to any sections now that the quick links have gone from the frop-down menus, for example the "Fiction" and "Poetry" options have gone from the "Read / Write" drop-down, and "The Information Desk" from "Community"

If we could have those back, it would be really helpful!

Thanks!

Mia x

PS - I mean the things that say "Poetry" that you click on and it says "Lyric, Narraive, etc" It was nice having the drop down option of "Poetry" "Fiction" or whatever
Last edited by MissMiaFacinelli on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:16 pm
Rosendorn says...

Mia- Just click "All Community Forums/All Literary Forums" and you'll get, well, all of them. You just have to scroll a bit. :)

~ I'd like to see "Reviews Gotten" go back to My YWS where it was easier to see. My only other little thing on finding reviews is, on my profile, I have to click past "reviews by this user" in order to see what reviews I've gotten.

Also, if the alert system goes to e-mails only, then I'm not really for it. I check YWS much more than I check e-mails. (If there was the option of getting PM alerts, I'd like that)

~ On certain blog formats, like Blogger Clone, it's hard to get back to the Blogs page should you have commented on the blog. If you just view a blog, you can hit back, but if you've commented you have to find the "blogs" selection at the top of the page. To quote what I'm talking about:

Board index ‹ Blogs ‹ *insert user's name*'s Blog ‹ *insert entry name*

That's at the top of the page and rather hard to find. Since blogs with that format are rare, it can be confusing when you've gotten used to the blogs with all the options on the side.

~ Seeing Group Advertising is a bit of a pain. I often skim over it when I go to select "My Groups" and I know about the forum. Since not many people do, that sort of stuff can really hurt group-creation.

~ Getting to the Writer's Corner cluster of forums I find a bit hard. I'll often accidentally click "Writing Resources" and get an "Under Construction" page, and since I don't have to really mouse-down to any other clusters of forums, not being able to access the writing-related forums that way gets to me a bit.

~ Editing work has gotten tricky. On the Old YWS, you could see all the comments you'd gotten while you were editing. Now, you have to switch back and forth between the "published" thread and the editing screen, meaning you can miss stuff. Something I do so I don't have to hit the "back" key all the time is to open the editing window in a new tab, but that still means I'm switching back and forth.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:46 pm
Evi says...

Out of all these comments, the only thing I've really had much trouble with is Rosey's last point. I did like being able to scroll down during reviews to read the work, or find quotes/examples from. Same goes for editing work-- with the old window you could refer back to the reviews you'd received. It's not a huge problem, though, because keeping another tab open works fine as well. Thanks!

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:53 pm
xLogan says...

Only problem I have came across is joining groups! It's ridiculous, oh, and I like the notification idea about reviews. :)

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:22 am
Juniper says...

Evi wrote:Out of all these comments, the only thing I've really had much trouble with is Rosey's last point. I did like being able to scroll down during reviews to read the work, or find quotes/examples from. Same goes for editing work-- with the old window you could refer back to the reviews you'd received. It's not a huge problem, though, because keeping another tab open works fine as well. Thanks!

I believe this feature-- being able to scroll down to read whilst reviewing-- does exist on the new YWS. Hit the reply button and scroll down.
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:59 am
Kylan says...

This was a problem with the old YWS as well. When posting a story with multiple, consecutive portions of italicized text, you can't highlight the whole body of text and italicize it -- you have to go through and italicize every paragraph.

:P

That's my only beef.

-Kylan

425 Reviews

Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:33 am
Nate says...

Kylan wrote:This was a problem with the old YWS as well. When posting a story with multiple, consecutive portions of italicized text, you can't highlight the whole body of text and italicize it -- you have to go through and italicize every paragraph.

:P

That's my only beef.

-Kylan

Weird; I never knew about that. I'll take a look at it, though I'm not sure I'll be able to do anything.

Rosey ->> Try clicking 'Groups.' You might be pleasantly surprised ;)

I'll switch the "Writing Resources" link such that it goes to "The Writers Corner."

The blog styles I won't be touching. However, there'll be a change there in the next couple weeks that may make that annoyance moot.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:32 am
Evi says...

Juniper wrote:
Evi wrote:Out of all these comments, the only thing I've really had much trouble with is Rosey's last point. I did like being able to scroll down during reviews to read the work, or find quotes/examples from. Same goes for editing work-- with the old window you could refer back to the reviews you'd received. It's not a huge problem, though, because keeping another tab open works fine as well. Thanks!

I believe this feature-- being able to scroll down to read whilst reviewing-- does exist on the new YWS. Hit the reply button and scroll down.

Wow. Um, I feel rather silly now. xD Thanks, June, and sorry for not noticing that before. I could have sworn...

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:00 am
JabberHut says...

Rosey and I have discovered that, generally, new members don't get to show their age/birthdays? Older members like myself and Rosey have an age displayed in our profiles still but newer members seem to not have one. And we can't find anywhere to edit it in My YWS.

I'm hoping we're just missing it. xD
I make my own policies.

425 Reviews

Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:10 am
Nate says...

Look harder Jabs! You just need to scroll down a bit after you go to "My YWS" ->> "Profile."

I'm not sure why it's not coming up for new members also. It's required for registration, so I think it may be just users who have registered using their Facebook. Still, it's supposed to automatically import your settings from Facebook so I'm not quite sure.

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:52 am
Young gun says...

As of now, I can't seem to find a way of directly accessing my portfolio from "My YWS".Every time I need to access my portfolio I have to find the link to my username.Can the portfolio be accessed from "My YWS"?

Chickens are honestly little dinosaurs. And they know it.
— ChieRynn