Your YWS Upgrade Guide

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:17 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Your YWS Upgrade Guide

Introduction

On Monday, August 17th at 10 am EDT (US), YWS will shut down for one week (I've copied a smattering of international times at the end of this post). When it reopens on August 24th, the site will be sporting a brand new look. For a preview, go to:
new

What's Going On
YWS is getting an upgrade. The part you'll notice is the stylish new look. The part you may notice (or may not) is that it'll be faster as well. That's because we're moving onto a very fast server. Right now, your desktop computer is probably faster than the server YWS is running on.

The part you won't notice is that the underlying code is changing completely. YWS is based on a forum software program called phpBB2. About two years ago, the phpBB2 group released phpBB3, which is what YWS is upgrading to. This also means the site is moving from php4 to php5 (a web programming language) and from MySQL 4 to MySQL 5 (a type of database; think of it like a very complex Excel spreadsheet for Web Sites).

What You Need To Know

1. All data is saved
As I've said countless times, the above site is there for testing purposes only. The database on it is an old database. When YWS returns on August 24th, everything you have done will still be here. There are only two exceptions:
    - Avatars: For some reason, whenever YWS switches servers, about 1 in a 100 (sometimes 1 in 30) avatars goes missing. You only have a 1% to 3% chance of being affected, but take a precaution and save your avatar if you really like it.
    - Custom Blog Settings: If you have customized your blog, you should save those settings in a document or on a piece of paper. However, if you don't do this, no worries. See point number 4 below.

2. Register on the Backup Site
Even a couple mods haven't registered yet, so you aren't alone if you haven't done this! Go to:
http://yws.nathancaldwell.com

The backup site will continue to operate as YWS switches servers. So even though YWS Main may be down, YWS Backup will still be here.

3. The Chat Will Continue To Run, But...
The YWS chat room will continue to operate. However, to log in, you will need to register on the backup site. This means that you will need to use your login data (username & password) from the backup site to log into the YWS Chat beginning August 17th.

4. The old YWS will be saved
This YWS that you are currently using will still be around. When we return, you'll be able to access it at:
old
However, you'll only be able to view it (that is, you can see but can't post). So if you lose your custom blog settings, no worries. Just go to your blog on the Old YWS, and copy your settings. Yet, this may be unnecessary. I'm working on a program that automatically converts your blog settings to the New YWS.

Please note, the above link doesn't work! There is no old YWS yet.

FAQ

Will YWS really be down for a week?
Maybe. In no event will it be shorter than five days, and in no event will it be longer than a week. A mass e-mail will be sent out as soon as we return.

The New YWS doesn't have any of my posts since July 15
I keep getting this question, and I don't know why. As has been explained countless times, the New YWS as it exists right now is for testing purposes only. It is not the final version. When YWS returns on August 24th, everything you have done will still be here.

And do you really think I'd erase a month's worth of data just like that?

It's August 17th and I can't Log Into the Chat
Register at http://yws.nathancaldwell.com to log into the chat beginning August 17th. And remember, you have to use your login data from the YWS Backup.

Why will YWS be down for so long?
The first reason is because it takes a while to transfer and convert YWS' two gigabyte database, which is all text. The converting alone will take almost a day.

The second reason is because YWS is moving onto a brand new server. It takes a while for your network to recognize YWS is on a new server, and that takes anywhere from 12 hours to 72 hours (it depends on where you live... the more developed your nation, the less time it'll take usually).

The third reason is that once the above two are done, I still have to make sure that everything works. This will take some time obviously.

I'm So Confused!

Here's the run-down:

A Smattering of International Times

YWS will close (approximately) on August 17th at:

UK & Ireland: 3 pm

Europe
Portugal: 3 pm
Western & Central Europe: 4 pm
Eastern Europe: 5 pm

South Africa: 4 pm

United States & Canada
Atlantic: 11 am
Eastern: 10 am
Central: 9 am
Mountain: 8 am
Pacific: 7 am
Alaska: 6 am
Hawaii: 4 am

Australia & New Zealand*
New Zealand: 2 am, August 18
Eastern: Midnight
Central: 11:30 pm, August 17
Western: 10 pm, August 17

Asia*
India: 7 pm, August 17
Jakarta: 9 pm, August 17
Hong Kong / Philippines / Singapore: 10 pm, August 17
Japan: 11 pm, August 17

* If you live in the Eastern Hemisphere, YWS may not be available until August 25.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:25 pm
backgroundbob says...

The 'run down' section is absolutely brilliant! XD

Good luck with the upgrade - I hope it doesn't cause you too many [more!] headaches.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

247 Reviews

Reviews: 247
Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:02 am
Searria H. says...

I registered on the back-up site, but when I try to log in, it tells me that I am trying to access an inactive account. Is that supposed to happen?
-Sea-
'Let's eat Grandma!' or, 'Let's eat, Grandma!' Punctuation saves lives.

Reviews? You know you want one. :)

*Ribbit*

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:29 am
Teague says...

Check your e-mail, Searria. You should have received an e-mail about activating your account.

If not (or if you're like me and mistyped your e-mail), you can ask either Nate or Meshugenah to activate it for you.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:43 am
Meshugenah says...

Actually, since Nate's in Yosemite, just bug me! If anything goes terribly irrevocably wrong, I'll uh, find a way to contact him, but for now, just ask me, and once Jack's (Firestarter) back, you can ask him, too!

Any nontechnical questions can be directed to me -- anything that involves asking what software the new site will run on, what server, and how everything was [s]attacked brutally by a gang of angry monkeys[/s] coded will have to wait for Nate, though ;)
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

247 Reviews

Reviews: 247
Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:41 am
Searria H. says...

*looks down at feet sheepishly* Yeah, just got the e-mail. Thanks.
-Sea-
'Let's eat Grandma!' or, 'Let's eat, Grandma!' Punctuation saves lives.

Reviews? You know you want one. :)

*Ribbit*

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:48 pm
EmmaJ says...

Oooo new site looks snazzy.
Hum well we'll just have to survive for a week :P
Good luck with upgrading and whatnot.
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. - the king from alice in wonderland.
We'er all mad here.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:33 pm
Rosendorn says...

... Teague, why couldn't I have seen your post ten minutes ago? xD (I also mistyped my e-mail, but I just put an underscore instead of a space in my username)

This is going to sound so OCD, but mind deleting the inactive account and chancing my username to not having a space? If that's even possible.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:33 pm
Runelord says...

Sigh it is true that we must move with the times but i really like the old YWS. Meh I'm still looking forward to the new one as the people wont change :)
Speling mestackes ink.

Flowing scribble

Guns don't kill people, people kill people... And monkeys do (if they have a gun)- Eddie Izzard

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:25 pm
Wiggy says...

You rock, monkey-man. :)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:11 pm
gsppcrocks10 says...

D: Nate you're phasing out of my browser! *sob*

*hates Windows 2000 with a passion* I'm going to nag my dad until he downloads XP. So guys, I might mysteriously dissapear for a while. :'( But I'll be back, even if I have to hijack my dad's computer. >: )
Just another quack spouting psychobabble.

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose, then I'm mad. That's the way history is written."

318 Reviews

Reviews: 318
Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:38 pm
Abigail_W. says...

Do we still have the point system?

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:57 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

Abigail_W. wrote:Do we still have the point system?

It's on its way.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:37 am
Rakun says...

Pretty clear, your explanations, sir Nate.
Thanks for let's to know what's going with this wonderful site.
I'll be waiting impatiently the upgrade to see the new look.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:01 am
Snoink says...

Rakun wrote:Pretty clear, your explanations, sir Nate.
Thanks for let's to know what's going with this wonderful site.
I'll be waiting impatiently the upgrade to see the new look.

The upgrade has happened! See how pretty it looks? :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

It doesn’t smell old, it just smells like a bad idea.
— James Hoffman