z

Young Writers Society

New YWS Delay

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:40 pm
Nate says...

Sorry about this since I promised to begin rolling out the new YWS before July, but I'm going to have to delay it by a bit more than a week. It'll be ready to begin rolling out before July, but I now plan to go to New York on July 4th weekend. Since I rather not start demoing something while I'm away on vacation, I want to hold off until July 10th.

As a brief reminder, here's how the roll-out will work:

The roll-out is really a preview period that'll be at least two weeks long. JMs will be the first ones to be able to check it out. Then a few days after them, I'll start granting access to select members. It'll then be open to everyone after the first preview week.

If everything goes okay (I expect some errors), everything will be shut down for a week after the roll-out period. During this week-long blackout, neither YWS nor the new YWS will be available. However, the back-up site will be running (http://yws.nathancaldwell.com), as will Writing Gooder (http://www.writinggooder.com).

By the way, the week-long blackout is just an estimate. It could be longer, or it could be shorter. But unless I goof up really badly (and it'd have to be really bad), I don't see how it could take longer than a week. Most of this delay will come from moving YWS into the cloud, as well as making sure that all data transferred properly.

By the way, look for a major update on how the new YWS is coming along Sunday night (east coast US time... so Monday afternoon for Australia & New Zealand).

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:27 pm
Jon says...

Take all the time you need!

I know that when it's finally, It'll be worth the wait!

You're going to NY July 4th?!

You should go to the YWS meet-up there... (As it is near that day...) Yes?
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:10 pm
Bobo says...

Please tell me that web design will be included in the new YWS. I'm just dying to get back to the one real contribution I ever had on this website, since I never wrote that much hahaha!

I'm excited for the new developments for sure!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:21 am
Nate says...

Just sent you an e-mail Bobo.

Graphic design of course is going to be a large part of the new YWS! One of the things I originally envisioned was to give each forum their own graphical feel. That is, the layout would be the same, but certain graphics would be different. For instance, the Romance section would have hearts while the sci-fi section had rockets. I've abandoned that idea completely, but we're going to need a lot of updated graphics.

Who wants to become a writer? And why? Because it’s the answer to everything. It’s the streaming reason for living. To note, to pin down, to build up, to create, to be astonished at nothing, to cherish the oddities, to let nothing go down the drain, to make something, to make a great flower out of life, even if it’s a cactus.
— Enid Bagnold