z

Young Writers Society

The YWS Zombie Attack

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed May 06, 2009 3:51 pm
Nate says...

Heh, I figured a lot more people would read this if I included Zombie in the title. But, I'm not being disingenuous...

A couple days ago, YWS was attacked by Zombies. By Zombies I mean computers that were hijacked by viruses and are used to harvest e-mail addresses or post spam. Fortunately, YWS has pretty good protection against such stuff. If you want to read more about zombie computers, go here:
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/0 ... this-year/

So what happened a couple days ago is about 100 separate zombie computers were accessing YWS at the same time; trying to download 10 pages every second (by comparison, the average YWS user downloads one page per minute). That means there were 1,000 connections just from zombie computers every second. Since the server is only built for 50 connections per second, you can see how that could slow things down to a crawl (or just shut down the site altogether). This is why many of you were getting the phpBB: critical error message a couple days ago.

I don't know why 100 zombie computers were trying to access YWS at once; it could've been a disgruntled member or a rogue wave. I have a couple of ways to fight against it, but here is what you can do to help:

1. Run a virus scan! Your computer could be a zombie. A good free online scanner is at: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

2. Don't download ring-tones! The vast majority of ring-tones available online have viruses embedded into them.

3. Don't download anything unless you're 100% sure it's trustworthy! Every time a friend of mine has a virus on their computer, they also have a ton of spyware. The best way to avoid spyware is simply to download programs only from trustworthy sources, such as CNET's download.com or iTunes.

Lastly, if you have Windows, go here:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/comput ... mbies.mspx

Also, keep in mind that even if a virus scan finds your computer to be 100% virus free, you may not be completely out of the woods. The best thing to do is just to do a virus scan at least once a week.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed May 06, 2009 3:54 pm
Clo says...

I'm going to pretend that we're dealing with real zombies, and then I'm thoroughly impressed.

But, my computer is trudging in anti-virus programs. It's great advice!
How am I not myself?

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Wed May 06, 2009 3:54 pm
anti-pop says...

Whew...

For a moment I thought it was another fanfic. :P
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm
Conrad Rice says...

I am very disappointed. I was about to begin my 25th zombie plan, for when they invade the internet. :P
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed May 06, 2009 5:58 pm
Ego says...

The sad part might be how right you were about me reading it because I saw the word 'zombie.' xD
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu May 07, 2009 2:39 am
Snoink says...

Buscador! wrote:The sad part might be how right you were about me reading it because I saw the word 'zombie.' xD

Ha! Same.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri May 08, 2009 4:31 am
Crysi says...

Ditto.

RIP Necropolis. XD
Love and Light

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri May 08, 2009 9:47 pm
Rosendorn says...

anti-pop wrote:Whew...

For a moment I thought it was another fanfic. :P

Same here.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sat May 09, 2009 1:32 am
Mira says...

I'd have to say I read it because it had the word 'Zombie' and because I thought it was another fanfict...

But that's a horrible thing! Viruses and zombies should be killed! Now, if we can just figure out which super-weapon to use...

:)

Smiles!
@;~ Saph
"Smiles make the world go round." ~ Me

I didn't want to slow time, I just wanted to make a little rock.
— MomoMajesty's brother