z

Young Writers Society

Using Colo(u)red Font

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:46 am
Nate says...

First off, this is not a rule; just a suggestion.

It's starting to become somewhat of a trend, so I want to make it clear to everyone that you should not use colored font. That is, write in black.

There are a few reasons for this. One, writing in anything but black is guaranteed to annoy 90% of the members, and that's not a good thing for you. For another, people seem to choose font colors that are difficult (or just plain painful) to read. Lastly, it disrupts the site. When going through a thread, one's eyes are going to be automatically attracted to the post with color. That can be a good thing, but here at YWS, we aren't concerned with looks; we're concerned with your style of writing.

Thus, you should distinguish yourself through your writing rather than through contrived means such as font color. Right now, this isn't a big problem which is why there is no rule as of yet. However, if this becomes a trend and a large number of people start using all sorts of contrived means to distinguish their posts, a rule will be made.

However, nothing in this post should be construed as extending to your signature as well. You could use a billion colors in your signature if you wanted to.

Update: As niteowl noted, if you change the color of your font, it may not be visible on the Chimped Out template.
Last edited by Nate on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:07 am
Loose says...

It should be a rule...

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:16 am
Prokaryote says...

Loose wrote:It should be a rule...

Really? Is it actually that much of a problem?

Listen people, if you have an issue with someone else's font colour, why don't you tell them instead of asking for new rules to be made?

Pork

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:23 am
Nate says...

People have been told in some cases, and they've changed their font in response (as long as it's not a bright, it's tolerable).

But Pork is right in that it's not a big problem. If a lot of people start doing it, then maybe a rule will be made, although I hate making rules. For one, it's just one more thing that people have to learn when joining the site (and there's already a lot to learn). For another, you have to enforce them.

So please, if you're going to use a colored font, keep others in mind. Especially me!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:23 am
Snoink says...

We do. What else do you think this post is for? :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:29 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

Also, just to throw in my two cents, colored fonts are harder to read on Chimped Out. Therefore I do find them annoying because I have to highlight the posts in order to read them. However, I don't think it's a big deal unless more people start doing it. So thanks for nipping this in the bud! :D
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:36 am
View Likes
Clo says...

It's worth suggesting. It isn't the best thing to look at.
How am I not myself?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:45 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

*Sigh* Alright. I'll start writing in black. Since I seem to be the one that started all this..... (sorry 'bout that)

Unless, of course, my new colour is better to read. *Hopes*

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:37 pm
WaterVyper says...

Um, how exactly do you change the color of a post?
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:17 pm
Snoink says...

Haha, if you don't know, I'm not telling. XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:01 pm
JFW1415 says...

*shrugs* I tell people apart by their avatars. (When that newbie used Mesh's I got soooo confused!)

And I look at their style of writing. But I nearly never look at their usernames.

Font colors just bother me. =/ One of the reasons why I only go in chat for short periods of time.

~JFW1415

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:06 pm
Evi says...

But, most colored fonts are used mainly in Community Forums. Sometimes reviews, I guess. But I've never seen anyone *cough cough* use a colored font while posting a piece of theirs.

I don't see it as a problem now, but I do agree that if everyone decided they want to 'stand out' and starts going crazy with the colors, we'll be in trouble.

That's what avatars are for, as JFW said.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:50 am
Fishr says...

*shrug* Doesn't bother nor distract me from reviews, etc.

Color is refreshing and I don't would really be that distracting if it's used in the Community Forums. That's just my opinion.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:16 pm
Mars says...

It doesn't usually bother me as long as the colors are readable. But every color - at least, every color that I've seen here - are going to be unreadable on either Default or Chimped Out, which is why I think everyone should stick to the norm.

And I do agree that we should distinguish ourselves by our style of writing...that's why we're here, right?
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:30 pm
Demeter says...

I love the title.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

I’d heard he had started a fistfight in one of the seedier local taverns because someone had insisted on saying the word “utilize” instead of “use".
— Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear