z

Young Writers Society

How The Phasing In For The New YWS Will Work

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:59 am
Nate says...

As you may know, the Young Writers Society will soon be receiving a dramatic upgrade. The target date for this upgrade is February 28, 2009, but it could very well come much sooner than that. As the process moves forward, I'll be able to give a more precise date, but suffice to say that February 28 is at the far end of when I actually expect to be finished.

First of all, there will really be no phasing in of the new YWS. It's going to be an abrupt change, and it's very likely that a number of people will not like it at first. This happened the last time YWS received a major upgrade back in January 2005, and people got used to it within a couple weeks.

That said, though, the new YWS will go through a beta phase during which the current YWS will still be the default YWS. Beta testers will be chosen in waves beginning with the Junior Moderators (members of Big Brother already have full access). After the JMs, the Instructors will be given access followed by Greeters and registered members. Select registered members will be given access at the same time as Instructors.

The beta phase will begin in mid-January most likely. If no major bugs are found, then it should proceed very rapidly and be done within a few days. However, even if that is the case, the beta will be kept open for a minimum of two weeks just to give people the chance to get used to how the new YWS operates.

Finally, when it's time to complete the transition, YWS will go fully offline for one week (the backup YWS at http://yws.nathancaldwell.com will be running). This needs to be done to transfer the database over.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:45 pm
alwaysawriter says...

Wow. I can't wait to try out the beta.

It's going to feel so weird not logging on every day for a week but at least there's the backup site. :)

-alwaysawriter
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:32 pm
Twit says...

It's going to be kind of sad, being so big. Like, when the kids are all growed up and they've been to college, and now they're starting their own business and leaving home. Nice in a teary way. :)
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:42 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

I feel uber-stupid, but what is a beta phase? *blushes*
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:27 am
Monki says...

:D Beta phase=Test drive, basically.
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:28 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

Oh, thanks. :)
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:23 pm
backgroundbob says...

Oooh, excellent! I'm very impressed - it's a helluva job rejigging an entire website [and this place is BIG], immense kudos to you for putting in the time and effort Nate [&team].

And like TG, I too feel teary and proud of the ol' YWS, all grown up. There've been some real kicks in the teeth for this place since I started, and I have to say it's been nursed back to health with remarkable care and dedication. Long may it continue!

[Ooh... I shouldn't, but just one question, Nate - is my Arcade haunt making a return?]
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

A memorandum isn't written to inform the receiver, but to protect the writer.
— Dean Acheson