Young Writers Society

A Little Questionnaire

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:10 pm
LowKey says...

1) When did you join YWS?

December 10th of '06, I believe.

2) Did you try out any other writing sites before you joined YWS?

Tried other writing groups but no sites before YWS. Tried a couple after I had joined, about a year in.

2.1) If you answered yes, what were they?

TW was one, Writing Forums is another, and PoP! (Passion of the Pen) for a very breif time

2.2) Are you still a member of any?

My accounts still work, but I'm not active. It took me a while to remember my TW password. Go on to Writing forums from time to time to check messages, but visits eventually got rarer and rarer. Been a few months since I last checked, so no.

3) Did you feel welcomed when you first joined YWS? Please explain.

XD Yes! Especially considering I posted my welcome message in the questions forum. I think the fact that I got any welcoms at all is amazing, and a week in I realised my mistake. But I had gotten welcomes anyway, so was happy.

4) Do you plan on still being active for at least the next month? If not, why not?

Yup.

5) Have you ever posted your own work on YWS? If so, did you receive good critiques? If not, why not?

Mhm. Posted many story beginnings bu have yet to actually post a complete story witha middle and end. Working on that now. NaNoWriMo helps a bit.

6) If you have been a member of other writing sites, how do critiques on YWS differ from critiques on other sites? Are they better? Worse?

the good ol' critique sandwhich. On the others, you can expect either a list of things you did wrong, or the ever-famous one-line review. There are some good critiquers, of course. Every site has them, I think. But the key difference is that YWS has more good crittiques than bad, as opposed to more bad than good.

7) How do you feel YWS stacks up against other writing sites in general?

Pretty good. Above answer is enough to set it at the top.

8 ) What do you like most about YWS?

The fact that when you get a review, you get the feeling people actually want your piece to improve, not want people to see them as nice for helping you or other such ego actions. Culture ftw.

9) What do you like least about YWS?

Nothing that can really be changed. You're always going to get small annoyances, but unless you want to do an all-out lock down and go communist on us, they won't be so easily solved. There will always be bad reviewers and dramatic members and poor judgment and overreactions, but the good outweighs the bad, and the bad's something every site has at least a bit of.

10) If you were able to, name one thing that you would change on or about YWS.

The storybook discussion forums. When you make a post in them, the new post doesn't show up in the recent post list on the left side of the homepage. Nit-pik, and I'm sure there's a reason for it, but still. It'd be nice to see when someone's posted in it as well as when they've posted in the main thread.

11) Has YWS helped you as a writer? Do you find yourself writing more often than you used to?

^^ thanks to YWS, I wrote 65,764 words of a novel, and half of another one during our MaNoWriMo. 1.5 novels isn't bad. ;)

12) Have the frequency of any dreams about monkeys increased since joining YWS?

Monkeys? Only when Dragons are involved in a take over.

13) If you were able to, name one thing that you would add to YWS.

[s]Horror thread[/s] Dragon and Monkey smilies. And the notebook theme from the backup site.

14) Is YWS stressful, stress-free, or somewhere in between for you?

Latter, for the most part.

15) Did you find it easy to meet other young writers when you first joined?

^^ Met one in england before I was a month old. For a 13 year on living in a town with a peak population 3000 in the summer, counting the tourists, that was pretty darn cool.
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:36 pm
tinny says...

January 2006

Yes.

writing.com, bbc blast, greatwriting.co.uk, critiquecircle.com

2.2) Are you still a member of any? If you could, please name them. However, if you're worried about privacy, you don't need to (and it won't be counted against you!).
Yes.

It was nearly three years ago now *racks brains* I probably didn't, but I tihnk that's more down to the fact that I was even more shy and socialy inept then than I am now. I think the other members scared me more than anything else.

4) Do you plan on still being active for at least the next month? If not, why not?
Probably. Might end up taking a break to catch up on work or something.

5) Have you ever posted your own work on YWS? If so, did you receive good critiques? If not, why not?
Yes. Number- and quality of critiques seems to fluctute, though. Or perhaps what I post isn't all theat interesting, haha.

6) If you have been a member of other writing sites, how do critiques on YWS differ from critiques on other sites? Are they better? Worse?
I don't post any of my own work on the other site I'm still active one, the comments just tend to be "That was really good, please post more!"; actual critical opinions generally aren't taken very well.

Well, it's by far the best I've ever seen.

It's pretty friendly, has a nice atmosphere, and everyone, on the whole, gets on I'd say.

The secret groups and cliques. Sometimes it can feel like there's a little elitism.

I don't know.

11) Has YWS helped you as a writer? Do you find yourself writing more often than you used to?
Oh most definatly yes. I don't really think I'd still be writing had I not joined.

No monkey dreams yet :(

I'm not sure. If I think of anything I'll edit it in.

It can be both. So, somewhere in between, I guess?

Not at first, again the whole omg shy thing, but when I got over that, yes. A few of the members I got on with best have left, though.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:02 pm
JFW1415 says...

1) When did you join YWS? I joined on June 6, 2007.

2) Did you try out any other writing sites before you joined YWS? Yes, I did.

2.1) If you answered yes, what were they? I think I just joined Critique Circle... and FanFiction, haha. :)

2.2) Are you still a member of any? If you could, please name them. However, if you're worried about privacy, you don't need to (and it won't be counted against you!). Uh, I think so, but I haven't been on in more than like, ten months. :)

3) Did you feel welcomed when you first joined YWS? Please explain. Yepp! Tons of immediate friends. I loved going to the welcome thread and seeing all these thought out responses. :)

4) Do you plan on still being active for at least the next month? If not, why not? Heck yeah! It's an amazing site and helps me improve so much.

5) Have you ever posted your own work on YWS? If so, did you receive good critiques? If not, why not? Yes I have, and I've gotten amazing critiques. Sure, I'll get the occasional 'omg tht ruld rite mor now!!!!', but about 90% of the critiques I've received really did help me.

6) If you have been a member of other writing sites, how do critiques on YWS differ from critiques on other sites? Are they better? Worse? Well, I just glanced around Critique Circle - never really got into it - but this is a bit better than that. It's hard to find a good critique there - probably about 40% are good. And FanFiction has no good ones at all.

7) How do you feel YWS stacks up against other writing sites in general? Way better. :)

8 ) What do you like most about YWS? The critiques and the community. I have so many people here who will catch me when I fall. :) Oh, and the blogs are super fun. :)

9) What do you like least about YWS? Usergroups. Yes, I have one of my own, but not many people venture into the Usergroups, and they nearly never stay active, except for the Debate one.

10) If you were able to, name one thing that you would change on or about YWS. Um... I'd update Squills more often. :)

11) Has YWS helped you as a writer? Do you find yourself writing more often than you used to? Yes! It helped me so much. And it definitely encouraged me to write more often.

12) Have the frequency of any dreams about monkeys increased since joining YWS? Haha, no clue. Sorry, I don't remember my dreams. :)

13) If you were able to, name one thing that you would add to YWS. I honestly have no idea. It feels very complete to me.

14) Is YWS stressful, stress-free, or somewhere in between for you? Well, I was getting stressed in real life, and let myself get behind on the site, so yes, it was very stressful for me for a few months there. But I'm back and reorganized my stuff so I don't get in over my head, and now it's relaxing once more. :)

15) Did you find it easy to meet other young writers when you first joined? Sure did! But I'm not sure if that was through the chat... I think with the Lounge, critiques, PMs, and little bit of chat there still is, it's pretty easy to meet new people.

~JFW1415

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:38 pm
Bittersweet says...

May 8th 2008, I believe.

Not really, just took a quick glance at some.

Oh yes, completely. The Welcome forum played a large part in that. Everyone was so nice.

Yes yes! I think my writing would flail miserably without everyone here to help me. I plan staying here very long term.

Of course! And I do receive very good, helpful critiques. I love them.

I actually have glimpsed one or two. The critiques are not as heart-felt... more like "lyke, omg... your story is lyke... sooooo good!" kind of crits. Much worse. >.<

It's pretty much the best, honestly.

The atmosphere. It's so friendly and nice and everyone is so awesome.

That's a hard one...

I don't know. D:

Oh yes. So much. I write a lot more because I feel a lot more confident about my writing. I know what pleases people, what doesn't, all of that sort of thing. It's made me more aware of my mistakes and enables me to fix them.

Er... no. :P

My brain might explode trying to think...

Stress-free. Usually. Unless you get some bad reviews. But that very very occasional.

Indeed! :D
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:06 pm
Nutty says...

) When did you join YWS? 2 March 07. God, I'm coming up on two years old....

Nope. I looked over a couple, but never joined.

--
2.2) Are you still a member of any? If you could, please name them. However, if you're worried about privacy, you don't need to (and it won't be counted against you!).
--
Wow, make my memory work hard, why don't you? ><
I think I did overall, mainly because of the chat. Though I was very aware I was a newbie, and it took me a while to feel like a 'real' member.
Of course.
Yes I have, loads. Most of them have, and the quality of crits as a whole has improved over the year and three quarters I have been here.
--
It has to be the best.
The people. You guys rock XD
Hrrrm. I dunno, actually. When the points system came in, I thought I wouldn't like that, but I really don't have a problem with it. There's not a lot you could change for the better, I guess.

Gah... XD Maybe, make the whole 'mentoring' system play a larger role? I think it's a good idea, to help new members out around the site, but it isn't used as much as it could be and doesn't have a very large profile around the site.

Dude, yes. Have you read my first few submissions? And I guess I do, but I tend to be reviewing rather then writing these days...

Hahahah, no. Though I've had dreams about a YWS convention.... now that was awesome.

Free pie?
Stress free most of the time.
Yes, because of the chatroom ><;
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:26 am
Rydia says...

1) When did you join YWS? That would be the 15th May 2007.

2) Did you try out any other writing sites before you joined YWS? I've been a member of quite a few so, yes. First there was TYWC and I ept that going right to the bitter end but then, you already know that story. The others were an excellent forum known as 'Scribblers Club' well may it rest as it has since been disbanded. Then there was AAFA I believe? Or a similar acronym. The site was still standing when I left it several years ago but it was small and difficult to run. The other site worth a mention is BT4T which still exists and I infrequently visit there.

2.1) If you answered yes, what were they? Uh... guess I skipped ahead. Just read my above answer XD

2.2) Are you still a member of any? Just BT4T. I'm a not so active admin there.

3) Did you feel welcomed when you first joined YWS? Please explain. I felt very welcomed. I was used to pre-generated welcome messages and the occasional plug of a member's work but when I joined YWS, I was swamped with hellos and friendly faces.

4) Do you plan on still being active for at least the next month? If not, why not? I plan on being active for the next year and more =)

5) Have you ever posted your own work on YWS? If so, did you receive good critiques? If not, why not? Yes and yes. The critiques have always been helpful and insightful. I'll admit, some are better than others but the service I have received has been excellent.

6) If you have been a member of other writing sites, how do critiques on YWS differ from critiques on other sites? Are they better? Worse? They are better for sure. On other sites, critiques tend to be much more encouraging but at the same time shorter and not at all constructive which is highly discouraging and inadvertently you end up with a paradox XD

7) How do you feel YWS stacks up against other writing sites in general? YWS does not stack up against other writing sites, it's in a league of its own.

8 ) What do you like most about YWS? The members, the storybooks section and overall the friendly atmosphere and amazing degree of talent.

9) What do you like least about YWS? This has taken some thinking but I would say the speed with which it is growing. I'm in two minds about that. I love all the new members and how colossal the site is becoming but I do worry that some measure of quality and the wonderful atmosphere we have may be lost through the increase in quantity. However, let's not worry about that until/ if it happens, da?

10) If you were able to, name one thing that you would change on or about YWS. I would steal Nate's idea and expand YWS into a publishing company.

11) Has YWS helped you as a writer? Do you find yourself writing more often than you used to? I find myself writing better than I used to and I never would have attempted NaNoWriMo without YWS.

12) Have the frequency of any dreams about monkeys increased since joining YWS? XD No but I did have a real strange dream just the other night. It involved Dono and Reyu. I will say no more XD

13) If you were able to, name one thing that you would add to YWS. A robot called FRED XD

14) Is YWS stressful, stress-free, or somewhere in between for you? Stress free generally though it has its stressful moments too. But no, YWS is my place to come and wind down.

15) Did you find it easy to meet other young writers when you first joined? Very much so. I picked up some very close friends within just the first week of joining and all this time later, we're closer than ever.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:57 am
Kylan says...

The 21st of April, 2007

Yes.

I was a member of the now defunct Absynthe Muse, but not for very long. I found that their response times to any work posted was very slow and that the articles and suggestions were mainly things I was already aware of.

I am also a member of Teenage Writers, which I never visit anymore. I find there site to be less helpful, less controlled, and poorly managed.

I am a member of WiiWrite, which is a website (co)founded by a member here on YWS. Her name escapes me at the moment.

NA.

Not really. It was pretty lonely at first, but I suppose part of that was my own doing. I avoided the welcome area of the community forums and my first PMs were with a nasty member that was dissastified with my critiques.

Of course.

I have posted practically everything I've ever written that has any kind of worth or merit here on YWS and I recieve good critiques on a regular basis. What the members have to say here is almost always helpful and well-thought out.

The critiques here are on such a higher level than any other writing website I have ever visited, whether for a younger audience, an older audience, or all ages. The members here know what they're talking about and they're not afraid to sacrifice some time to help others.

Across the boards, supreme to every other writing site.

Atmosphere, members.

All these scary changes! :wink:

Really, I'm not sure.

YWS has not only helped me tremendously as a writer, but as a person. It has broaden my mind, it has made my writing more sophisticated and stream-lined, it has improved my motivation and determination, it has helped me meet new people and inspired me in countless ways. Every kid I meet who's interested in writing even vaguely, I refer them to this site.

About two or three times a week I dream of chimps. My psychologist says it represents lust, self-satisfaction and trickery.

An "appointment book" which I have suggested before in the Comments/ suggestions thread.

Stress-free. The great thing about this community is that you can detatch yourself from it at anytime and you can regulate how much responsibility you take on at a time.

Yes.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:01 am
Conrad Rice says...

1) When did you join YWS?: 13 Apr 2008

2) Did you try out any other writing sites before you joined YWS?: No

2.1) If you answered yes, what were they?: Not Applicable

2.2) Are you still a member of any? If you could, please name them. However, if you're worried about privacy, you don't need to (and it won't be counted against you!).: Not Applicable

3) Did you feel welcomed when you first joined YWS? Please explain.: I did feel welcome. I posted my two reviews and then my first story, and within no time I was receiving very good reviews.

4) Do you plan on still being active for at least the next month? If not, why not?: Yes, I plan on being very active.

5) Have you ever posted your own work on YWS? If so, did you receive good critiques? If not, why not?: I have posted many works on YWS, and each and every time I have never failed to receive good, helpful critiques from at least one member of the site.

6) If you have been a member of other writing sites, how do critiques on YWS differ from critiques on other sites? Are they better? Worse?: Not Applicable

7) How do you feel YWS stacks up against other writing sites in general?: From what I've seen, YWS is at the zenith as far as writing sites go.

8 ) What do you like most about YWS?: I like that I can post stories and poems and receive good, honest critiques. I can't get that anywhere else, and it has helped improve my writing a great deal since I first joined.

9) What do you like least about YWS?: The drama that sometimes happens. Also, when people spam chat with stupid stuff.

10) If you were able to, name one thing that you would change on or about YWS.: Make a test you have to take before you can use chat. I would also reward those who critique stories more, since it seems like everybody is in the community lounge all the time.

11) Has YWS helped you as a writer? Do you find yourself writing more often than you used to?: YWS has certainly helped me as a writer. I am much better at it now than I was when I first joined. The fact that I was able to receive honest feedback and bond with such helpful people was a big factor. I can honestly say I write more often now, and I write of a much higher caliber than I did previously.

12) Have the frequency of any dreams about monkeys increased since joining YWS?: Sadly, no. This has not happened to me.

13) If you were able to, name one thing that you would add to YWS.: Nothing besides more cowbell.

14) Is YWS stressful, stress-free, or somewhere in between for you?: Unless I have somehow gotten embroiled in some teenage drama thing on the site, it is stress free. But that's user error more than programming error.

15) Did you find it easy to meet other young writers when you first joined?: Yes. I started connecting with people right away.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:16 am
JabberHut says...

I believe it was November 4, 2006.

That would be a... negative, actually.

N/A

N/A

Eweth, this is an awkward question for my situation. When I first joined, I was on for about a week, and even then, I wasn't dedicated to the site. My friend encouraged me to come on so I could post our story we were working on together (since I had the document on my computer). So within that short period of time I was actually on, I had some hellos and some tough comments on my work that had me shaken up a bit. Six months later, I came back, and so many people greeted me with hellos and smiles and other friendly greetings, I couldn't figure out why I never came back.

Yeeeah, actually. ^_^

Yes, I have posted my own work. And yes, I have received good critiques. Plenty of good advice and awesome edits have been made because of YWS. So much thanks, everyone! ^^

Aww, doesn't include me.

I've browsed other writing sites after I found YWS out of curiosity for YWS' competition, and nothing really impressed me like YWS did. On November 4, 2006, I was very much impressed with how the site looked. The navigation of it was difficult to figure out, but once I found the little forum search bar at the bottom of the page, I was good to go. YWS definitely stands out against the other sites, in my opinion.

It's for young writers (kids my age, more or less), and YWS has shown me that I have potential in an area I enjoy besides music. My social life has grown 50 times its previous size (XD), and my English has improved so much that I now get compliments from my teachers for my writing. (=D)

Currently, it's the little contact I have with new members. This sounds really stupid, but this was one thing chat was excellent with. Members exercised the rules as soon as they joined, and just as well, they met so many friends old and new. Take me for instance, when I first joined, I was scared stiff of the colored people (Even Greeters!), but in chat... everyone's name was colored, and I don't think I would have met Suz for the longest time if I hadn't mentioned in there that I was from St. Louis. XD

However, it's a minor aspect. YWS' greatness continues to impress me that I hardly notice the chat is gone. =D Plus, it's just better for me 'cause I get more work done. xD

Ew, what I do I say here? What did others say? XD

Squills is a definite. I was just starting to get the courage to write an article, and then it stopped. So that plan failed miserably. I enjoyed reading it, though. Sometimes, I would print out a copy and take it with me to school to read. ^^

And Nutty has a point with the Mentoring thing. I would be happy to help start that again. New members should feel welcome outside the welcome/literary forums as well as inside. ^^

Ooh, I answered this already, but definitely yes. My school papers have improved, my stories have improved, my speaking/language has improved even. My teachers compliment me on my writing (My AP Lit teacher did that! I seriously "squeed!"), and my friends tease me for my grammar guru-ness. I'm just all around amazed at how much the internet has helped me.

Um... No. But every time I see a monkey, I think of YWS/Nate. xD

A button that transports the computer user into a virtual chatroom where we can actually meet people. Then again, I'm not a genius or anything, so I got nothing.

Somewhere in between, I'll say. Everyday after school, I jump on YWS just because the sight of the site makes me feel better. However, when I commit myself to serious things like UG moderating or critiquing something(s) or helping a friend through a tough situation, I get a little stressed. I'm just get nervous easily, though. That's why chocolate is always by the computer. I eat chocolate when I'm nervous. XD

Well, it was because chat was up. I told Suz and a few others this (and maybe some have just noticed) but I never posted in the welcome forum when I first joined. My friend told me to come on to post our story, and that's exactly what I did. I didn't expect myself to be utterly dedicated to the site. I was afraid to enter chatroom too because I didn't know anyone and sitting in a chatroom around people I don't know and intruding on their conversations didn't encourage my entrance. A few days later, I decided what the heck. I was also, as I've said, deathly afraid of mods and admins, which also kept me from the chat. The thought that "I'm not perfect! What if I make a mistake? What if I look stupid? They'll probably think of me as another stupid teenager." scared the bejeebies out of me.

But Suz made it all better. XD It's easy to befriend a mod when they live close to you and you already have things in common!

P.S. Questionnaires are fun. ^_^
I make my own policies.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:12 am
Clo says...

Questionnaires are fun!

Some day in June this year, 2008. I'm thinking the 26th.

No, I was never able to find any others.

NA

Oh yeah! That's why I stayed. Everyone was so helpful about writing and learning your way around the site. I remember that Sam was right there reviewing my first stuff and answering my questions. The mods are all very helpful, and I think the overall attitude on this site is just very positive and inviting.

Whaaa - of course. I enjoy this site too much. Constructive writing site, FTW!

Yes. And yes, I have received great critiques, from Instructors and even newer members - every now and then there's someone who feels they only need to say if they liked it or not, but I figure most members eventually get the gist that they're supposed to be as helpful and constructive as possible.

NA

I would assume YWS is the best! It must have the largest list of members. And there's so many active mods and admins here. So, I assume this is the best.

Honest and weighty critiques are given, and it's often clear that reviewers really are seriously considering all the aspects of your writing. And what's mainly great about this is that it's all advice from young people. It's different from going to a Writing Center or learning in a classroom, because this is peer to peer. It's really amazing that a 14 year can give me a review and she'll point out a weakness that is absolutely correct. So, in short, just the entire literary forum and reviewing members of the community! ^^

Well! This is a site for hormonal young people, so there is drama every now and then. That's annoying. But c'est la vie.

There's an awful lot on the main page - but you're fixing that soon, so... hmmm.... I can't think of much else. I will say I'm grateful storybooks don't show up on recent posts though! Actually, maybe the recent post thing could show more recent posts, since that's what I use a lot to navigate into important threads.

Wooow, how hasn't YWS helped me? I've spent many years writing, yet I've never seen such a visible improvement than between the time I joined this site and now. Or anyways, I feel like I've gotten better. Reviews on this site truly are helpful, and I think that reviewing the work of others' helps you be more critical about your own stuff.

Not Bartemius, but I do have weird YWS dreams. o_O

What happened to FRED? Well, honestly I cant think of anything - but I'm sure you guys have some great ideas. ;)

Stress - free. There's nothing stressing - maybe the loading time.... that's not that awful though. The only thing that stresses are new members who don't read the rules. ^^

Oh yeah *nods*. Like I said, the mods we all helpful, and the community forums are always hoppin', and then the blogs really help you to get to know people - but I think reviews are the best way. Because PMs allow you to ask for reviews, and inquire about comments. Real nice!

^_^
How am I not myself?

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:14 am
lilymoore says...

Hey, I'm a new member.

I joined November 28th of this year.

No I didn't. I found YWS on the Writer's Digest listing of writing sites and this was just the first one I clicked on. Up until then, I wasn't entirely comfortable with what I had written but it wasn't until recently that I felt what I was writing was good enough for other people to read.

N/A

N/A

Actually I did. Most of all, my first post received some amazing, constructive advice as well as the fact that my welcome forum post received some awesome welcomes and advice.

Of course I plan on being active for the next month. I hope for the next, like, 5 years. I'm in love with this website.

Yes, I have posted my own work on YWS and it received some wonderful critiques. Actually I was thrilled
to read the reviews that I received. They were amazingly constructive and supportive.

Again, I've never been a member of any other writing site. So I suppose all YWS critiques are awesome.

Well, it did make the Writers Digest list so it can't be too bad can it. But to be honest, I've never attempted to compare YWS to any other site.

8) What do you like most about YWS?

I think what I like most is the diversity in users and in pieces of literature. The people are wonderful and the writing can be too...most of the time. :) Okay, that just makes me sound like a terrible person. I'm sorry Nate and anyone else who reads this.

I can't say there is much not to like. The lack of the chat not being open all of the time is my only complaint but I've already heard the story behind that and I think it seemed reasonable.

Well, think you can just read my answer to question number nine.

Well, no, my writing hasn't increased all that much but I've never had a very busy writing schedule. Still, the critiques have been useful.

No it hasn't. Why, should it have?

I have to agree with Nutty on this too. The mentoring idea sounds amazing. Honestly, in the near future, I would love to help out other newbs.

The only stress I ever get is from trying to finish getting a review posted before I have to go to bed.

Yeah, I found it quite easy. I've already found a I have a nice relationship with both Squalls and Nutty who have been advising me to strive for "purplehood."
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:56 am
Jasmine Hart says...

1) When did you join YWS? June 3rd 2007

2) Did you try out any other writing sites before you joined YWS? Yes.

2.1) If you answered yes, what were they? I joined TYWC. It was dead at that stage but I still critiqued, and posted in old storybooks. I also joined poetshaven.

2.2) Are you still a member of any? If you could, please name them. However, if you're worried about privacy, you don't need to (and it won't be counted against you!). I'm still a member of the latter but I don't visit much.

3) Did you feel welcomed when you first joined YWS? Please explain. Yes. Posts in my guestbook, pms and people just welcoming me when they critiqued my poetry made me feel welcome. Though in hindsight it would probably have been a good idea to introduce myself!

4) Do you plan on still being active for at least the next month? If not, why not? Yes, I do.

5) Have you ever posted your own work on YWS? If so, did you receive good critiques? If not, why not? I have. Some of the criticism was very good and has helped me a lot. The shorter critiques weren't as helpful, but it was still a morale boost, which counts for something.

6) If you have been a member of other writing sites, how do critiques on YWS differ from critiques on other sites? Are they better? Worse? They're better. I find them much more thorough.

7) How do you feel YWS stacks up against other writing sites in general? It's very active in comparison to other sites and the criticism is of very high quality.

8 ) What do you like most about YWS? The quality of the feedback.

9) What do you like least about YWS? I honestly can't think of anything.

10) If you were able to, name one thing that you would change on or about YWS. I know this isn\t helpful, but I really can't think of a thing.

11) Has YWS helped you as a writer? Do you find yourself writing more often than you used to? It's helped the quality of my writing to improove and enabled me to better asess my own work, It's also improoved my critiques. It ahs helped me to write more than I used to...I'm blocked at the moment but that's not the fault of YWS! Actually, it may be in part to do with my visiting YWS less than I used to.

12) Have the frequency of any dreams about monkeys increased since joining YWS? Nope!

13) If you were able to, name one thing that you would add to YWS. Again. can't think of anything.

14) Is YWS stressful, stress-free, or somewhere in between for you? Stress-free.

"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:30 pm
Juniper says...

1) When did you join YWS? June 29th, 2008. It was actually June 28th, but it ended up very close to midnight when I registered. I was on a mission to find a good place to get some peer reviews on my writing before I turned 15, and I totally found it.

2) Did you try out any other writing sites before you joined YWS? Not necessarily. I looked around at a few others, but I've never been tempted to join any as much as this.

I remember looking at writers cafe, but the others I really don't remember the names of. I do know that I browsed through a lot
No; I didn't choose to register on most others.
3) Did you feel welcomed when you first joined YWS? Please explain. Totally, yes! The people here made me feel at home... I have never felt more welcomed in my life.

[b]4) Do you plan on still being active for at least the next month? If not, why not? Absolutely, yes. I don't think I would abandon this for the life of me.

5) Have you ever posted your own work on YWS? If so, did you receive good critiques? If not, why not?[/b] Yes! I have, and they are actually the best critiques I receive! I love the harsh ones, too.

6) If you have been a member of other writing sites, how do critiques on YWS differ from critiques on other sites? Are they better? Worse? I once posted on another site I don't remember the name of; they closed down for some reason, but the critiques here are so much nicer and way more helpful.

7) How do you feel YWS stacks up against other writing sites in general? It beats them all, no doubt. This is actually my most visited site aside from my browsers homepage.

The awesome spirit that floats around this place. I absolutely love how the interaction is what makes it be.
9) What do you like least about YWS? The fact that this question exists on here xD. There's nothing to dislike!

10) If you were able to, name one thing that you would change on or about YWS. I would get rid of that createspace guy... Other than that, this place is beyond perfection.

11) Has YWS helped you as a writer? Do you find yourself writing more often than you used to? Yes and yes. It has; I learn from other's mistakes and try my best to correct what I see corrected in other's works.

I'm not going to lie-- yes. But it was only one! It was a monkey and it was chasing me. Not in a haunting way, but I think we were playing tag.

It recently crossed my mind that it would be nice to be able to make a group list, so you could PM more than one person at once. I have no idea if that's possible already, but I thought that might help sometimes.

14) Is YWS stressful, stress-free, or somewhere in between for you? Stress free, absolutely. It relieves stress.

15) Did you find it easy to meet other young writers when you first joined? Yes! I did! It was actually very easy; they shared my interest (writing, lol) and after that it was simplicity.
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:30 am
Sachiko says...

1) When did you join YWS? Oh gosh. Technically, it was in june of last year, I think, but i didn't start becoming active until... September or October.

2) Did you try out any other writing sites before you joined YWS? Nope!

2.1) If you answered yes, what were they? I think there was one forum I had joined, but I left it. I don't even remember the name of it. xD

2.2) Are you still a member of any? If you could, please name them. However, if you're worried about privacy, you don't need to (and it won't be counted against you!). Nope!

3) Did you feel welcomed when you first joined YWS? Please explain. Yes, I did! That's part of the reason I decided to really stay and give it a shot, the people were so friendly when I posted a new member message! :D

4) Do you plan on still being active for at least the next month? If not, why not? Heck yeah. In fact, I really want to be more active then I have been.

5) Have you ever posted your own work on YWS? If so, did you receive good critiques? If not, why not? Yup, I have! And I don't believe I have ever received a critique that wasn't helpful in some way. Even if they were a bit... painful. xD

6) If you have been a member of other writing sites, how do critiques on YWS differ from critiques on other sites? Are they better? Worse? Mmm, non applicable. XP Sorry!

7) How do you feel YWS stacks up against other writing sites in general? Personally, [although I may be biased] I think YWS is the best out there.

8 ) What do you like most about YWS? Hmmm. All the cool people, the awesome reviews I get when I pull up the guts to post my work, it's got a clean interface...

9) What do you like least about YWS? Really, I don't think there's anything I don't like.

10) If you were able to, name one thing that you would change on or about YWS. Nothing comes to mind, really.

11) Has YWS helped you as a writer? Do you find yourself writing more often than you used to? It has helped me as a writer, as there are certain things I watch out for now. Like excessive commas. xD As for writing more then i used to... I really can't say.

12) Have the frequency of any dreams about monkeys increased since joining YWS? Oh, yes! in fact, I had one just the other day involving a monkey and a pair of pliers with a machete...

13) If you were able to, name one thing that you would add to YWS. maybe alerts on your profile page that said when your friends were on.

14) Is YWS stressful, stress-free, or somewhere in between for you? It's pretty stress free :D

15) Did you find it easy to meet other young writers when you first joined? Actually, I was kinda anti-social. xD I still feel kinda weird posting in the forums, cause I think that i'm butting in on other people's conversations.
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:08 pm
KailaMarie says...

I joined this summer.

Yep.

"Mibba" (It wasn't nearly as helpful with critiques and not as easy to get around.)

Nope. I'm exclusive. ;)

Yes, people commented on my peices and welcomed me, saying that they hadn't seen me around before. People also explained anything I had questions on.

Yep!

Yep, I post things all the time, and get lots of help and pointers on them.

They're MUCH better. On the other site I tried, people would only make small little comments that wouldn't help you become a better writer. Stuff like "I liked the main character's name" was common.

I don't know about many sites, because this is only the second one I've tried, but I love it, and didn't want to keep looking, if that helps.

The people. Everyone is so helpful, and sometimes quirky, which I love.

I don't like how much it distracts me from homework. Seriously, it takes about double the time it should to do things because I'm always on this site.

I would make it so you could delete something you've written. Sometimes I decide I didn't like something and wished I could take it off. (It might be possible, but I don't know how to.)

I write much more often. Almost constantly, when I'm not at school. I've written a lot more flash fiction than I used to. I also think I've gotten a lot better taking people's opinions into mind. And it's helped me be less shy to show people something I've written.

...No...

A list of synonyms for the word "Said." (There actually probably is one, but I'm not sure where.)

Stress-free, I think. I actually find it pretty relaxing. :)

Yep, people introduce themselves and everyone's very friendly.
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

You can't choose your parentage. But you can choose your legacy.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus