Young Writers Society

No Chat-Speak

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:33 pm
StellaThomas says...

...What's leet speak?

I don't think Nate is saying he's banning all abbreviations, guys! This is the Internet, and as such, when we want to express ourselves, nobody's going to mind a "lol" or a "ROFL" or whatever. There's a difference between:

"lol i laffed so hard whn i saw dat"

and

"Lol! I laughed so hard when I saw that!"

I don't use chat speak really. Even in texts. You'll always hear me and my friends complaining about people who say "dis" and "dat." And when you have a full keyboard in front of you and you're not being charged by the letter well, what excuse do you have?

My grammar isn't the best, but I am pretty annoyed when people make no effort whatsoever. In the words of Professor Higgins: "Cold-blooded murder of the English language."

And (because I recently saw My Fair Lady, I'll continue):

"Remember that you are a human being with a soul and the divine gift of articulate speech, that your native language is the language of Shakespeare and Milton."

If Eliza Doolittle can learn to speak properly, why can't people learn to type properly?

:). I know I'm a freak. No need to remind me.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:38 pm
Emma says...

I like saying lol..., and sometimes I forget I'm on this site and write yr instead of your/you're. Just because it's me. As long as I get to write how I want on my blog I'm awwright ;) What if you're scottish? Are you not allowed to say cannae or gonnae? Or... aye?

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:40 am
Monki says...

Ha ha. I'm so glad this rule is heavily implemented. I hate "text-speak" or what ever it's called. The only thing I tolerate and use myself is "lol", "lmao", and "ttyl".

I would short-circuit if my friends texted me like this: "i lyk saw dat 1 movie ystrdy and it was lyk rly kool nd u need 2 c it 2!!!!!11"

Ha ha. Thank God my friends are freaks like me and rarely even use "lol". We are definitely not normal teenagers. Nope. Not at all.

And seriously, any teenager who types out "ha ha", instead of "lol" is most definitely not normal. But, that would be me, and countless others on this site. (It's a good thing. Trust me.)

xD

/rant
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:24 pm
alwaysawriter says...

I love this rule. It should be implemented everywhere outside of YWS. Unless you're one of my best friends that I've known for five or so years, you're not going to see me use chatspeak. It's a pet peeve of mine.

My friends outside of YWS don't share that pet peeve. They don't see why it matters. I was literally actually proud of one of them for using the shift key yesterday, that's how bad he normally is.

I'm in total agreement with Stella here; why butcher the English language?
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:59 pm
Kamas says...

If I was a bad newbie that never knew about the rules because I had no idea about the welcome forum...is that bad??

It won't effect anything now will it or does it effect any application? *not applying now just curious*

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:06 pm
Nate says...

Kamas wrote:If I was a bad newbie that never knew about the rules because I had no idea about the welcome forum...is that bad??

It won't effect anything now will it or does it effect any application? *not applying now just curious*

Haha, not at all! I honestly wouldn't worry about it; nobody expects new members to know the rules. Plus, when you apply, we look at relatively recent activity.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:44 am
Snoink says...

Kamas wrote:If I was a bad newbie that never knew about the rules because I had no idea about the welcome forum...is that bad??

Plus, that would require the mods/admins to read ALL of your posts, and that's a lot of work for us lazy people. ;)

No, seriously, if we read your newbie posts, we look for how much you've improved. Because we're suckers for inspirational stories. ("I used to write like ThIs and now I can write a full sentence!") So no worries about that.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:50 am
Nate says...

No kidding. Snoink's sixth post:

Snoink wrote:AWW!!! THEY'RE SO CUTE!!!

My dog:

http://www.the-council.neoburn.net/snoink/dog.php

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:51 am
Snoink says...

Yeah Nate... you suck. :P

And! Just so you know! The link doesn't work... but this link does!

http://snoink.com/me/dog.php
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:53 am
Nate says...

Snoink's 9,571 post:

Snoink wrote:Well. Um. Grif is reading it. IF HE "EDITS" IT, IT'S NOT MY FAULT. But I can probably beat him with a zucchini, which actually might be more entertaining, sadly enough. :P

YES, NATE. SUBMIT.

We clearly aren't very concerned about caps :P

EDIT

Cool dog indeed!

I think that was when I began to realize that reputation isn't everything. I should focus less about how others perceive me and more about what makes me happy. Because, in the end, I have to live with myself.
— Seraphina