z

Young Writers Society

New YWS Feedback

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:00 am
Snoink says...

The blogs, unfortunately, have to stay the same for the most part. So maybe, but don't keep your hopes up. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:46 pm
Manny says...

Dreamer wrote:*stops wringing hands*

The preview looks good. Much neater than the current layout, though I'm not really complaining. I was kinda worried before, but I think YWS'll be okay now. Your original previews didn't give much to hope for though, even if they were just jokes. XD

Also, if we're still giving suggestions for the new YWS, how about a spell check for the blogs? :P Or is that at all possible?

A lot of browsers nowadays have spell check. I know for sure Firefox and Safari have them. Unless you have something against Firefox, you could use it maybe?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:13 pm
Nate says...

Aye, Mantis is right on the spell-check. As Snoink said, the blogs are staying the same for the most part, and adding a spell-checker to them is harder than it sounds (the blogs have multiple templates; it'd take me at least four hours to add something that all browsers except IE already do).

The layout for the forums is going to be very similar to the homepage, but beyond that, I've barely even thought about it. Currently, I literally have no clue how I'm going to lay out threads. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm currently operating on a blank slate.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:24 pm
JFW1415 says...

Looking great, but what about the random literary piece? Up beside the ad right now, below the header... the one where it shows a random one? Did I just not see it or will it not be there? 'cause if you move the ad, I don't see room for it... but I do like the idea of an ad up higher, looks a lot more professional.

~JFW1415

425 Reviews

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:27 pm
Nate says...

Good eye JFW :P

Aye, the random piece is currently gone. At this time, I am not planning on including it in the new YWS, along with the random member. However, if enough people would like it to still be included, I'll figure out something.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:22 pm
H says...

A conceptual piece. It is a nothing but a rough draft; I don't enjoy the flow and I'll be changing it extensively. Much of it is ridiculously difficult to implement into a forum, but Nate could possibly get ideas. This is the first of many to come.

"True is the instinct in man which salutes,
the tiny percentage who die in their boots.
"

The pursuit of perfection is the greatest virtue of all.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:12 am
Stori says...

Two suggestions. First, maybe you could put in a Sanctum area (community forums, maybe?) And second, I'd like to see a place to advertise members' websites.

425 Reviews

Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:43 am
Nate says...

Hatred ->> I like that a lot. Seriously. Is it possible you could make up graphical buttons of the "new topic" and the search area that you included in the image? I'd especially like to include that search bar at the top of every page (see the search box on http://www.wsj.com in the upper right).

Kyte ->> One of the areas that I'm going to be revamping is the links database. We currently have one (viewlinks.php?link_cat=11) but it stinks.

Community forums for Sanctum sound good.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:11 am
Bittersweet says...

This is just a simple suggestion and I'd imagine shouldn't be too hard (but then again, what do I know about websites?). Is it possible to make the Art & Photography section into two separate sections; one for art and the other for photography? I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but it bugs me when I'm looking specifically for art and I have to sift through countless topics that usually end up all being photography.

Anywhoo, that's all I can really think of. If something awesome comes to me, I'll be sure to post.

-Holly
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

425 Reviews

Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:34 am
Nate says...

The suggestion of splitting up the Art & Photography forum has been mentioned before, but I rather keep the two together. However, the new YWS will have topic icons so people will be able to show whether it's a photo or an art piece before you click on it.

Anyhow, just finished up with the user menu block. This is what a logged in user sees:

And this is what a logged out user / guest sees:

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:46 am
BigBadBear says...

Haha. 33 unread messages? XD Anyway. It looks really neat!

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:42 pm
JabberHut says...

I think I'm drooling...
I make my own policies.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:09 pm
Aet Lindling says...

One thing that I'd appreciate is having a choice to have signing in take you to the MyYWS page, or just the page you're at when you sign in.

Also, it'd rock if you could get to your profile easier. Like, have the Home drop-down menu show "My Profile" too, or something?
dun worry
it's all gun be k

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:56 pm
JFW1415 says...

Aet Lindling wrote:Also, it'd rock if you could get to your profile easier. Like, have the Home drop-down menu show "My Profile" too, or something?

Yes! It takes so long to get to my profile.

And I don't care either way about the random member, but I loooove the random story and use it a lot, so I hope you keep it?

~JFW1415

425 Reviews

Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:28 pm
Nate says...

It takes too long to click on My YWS or Home, and then click "View Your Profile"? Sorry guys, but I'm not sympathetic ;)

Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend.
— Corey Ford