z

Young Writers Society

New YWS Feedback

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:31 pm
Nate says...

Sometime in early 2009, the Young Writers Society will be getting a major face-lift. As such, a lot is going to change. However, since everything is still in the planning stages, you have a chance right now to affect how the new YWS will look and function.

I am very much interested in three things: (1) What do you not want to see changed at all?; (2) What do you want changed?; and (3) What would you like added? I want as many responses as possible, so feel free to ignore those questions and answer in any way you choose.
Last edited by Nate on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:39 pm
Blink says...

[s]Free money[/s]

1) I like the idea of the current My YWS page; it's clear and easy to navigate. Also, the double-spaced lines in the literary sections are great--the guestbook's too.

2) I would just say all the white space on the pages.

3) Added? Now that's too creative for me. What about a ticker on the member's profile for their blog?

Can't wait for new YWS. :P
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:00 pm
Twit says...

The bar up the top of each topic that says the name and how many pages it's run to. Could it be a lighter grey, so you can see at a glance how many pages a topic is?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

425 Reviews

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:03 pm
Nate says...

Twit ->> That's an easy change, and I've already updated it for the current YWS :)

Blink ->> Thanks man. Fortunately, you came to your senses and realized that free money is not a viable proposal.

So an rss ticker like we have on the front page but for member's blogs and on their profile? I like that idea.

For literary sections, what I would love to do is offer users the choice of layout. They could choose to have it double-spaced or single-spaced, with a drop cap or without a drop-cap, and even the font type. Plus, you'll have the option of what image to associate with it (or upload a new one), and maybe even the background for it. That'll allow a lot of flexibility in the presentation of the piece.

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:36 pm
Conrad Rice says...

Cool stuff. But on the choosing your font type, what if somebody wants to do a work in Old English font? Or will the fonts be limited to readable ones?

Also, just a personal thing, but will the community forums be trimmed down? It seems like so much is posted there when compared to the literary forums.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:44 pm
Via says...

On Fonts:

Do the mean the READER will get to choose or the writer will get to choose the font?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:31 am
Dream Deep says...

If we're tossing random ideas out there, I like the thought of having a section in the user profiles to post about current writing projects. Some people make the point in My First Book Will Be, or they make a footnote in their biographies, but I think it would be helpful to have a completely separate My Current Projects section: not every project is a novel, and I think it steers the emphasis of user profiles back to writing, to some extent.

Perhaps?

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:47 am
JFW1415 says...

Just please don't make the profiles like they are on myspace? That'll be awful, especially with choosing top friends and for the newbies. But to some extent personalization will be awesome.

~JFW1415

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:54 am
GryphonFledgling says...

One thing I would love would be for the bio section in the profile to be a little more formatting-friendly. As is, no matter what I do, it always comes out in one big block of text. If nothing else, the ability to make seperate paragraphs in the bio would be hugely appreciated.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:34 am
Writing for love is a pas says...

Maybe on the top right hand corner it could tell you if your friend's are on.
No where to run...baby let's hide. Take her in your arms on a chilling winter's night. Watch the stars twinkle and glisten. Know that you've found the one person that will listen. ~*(ME)*~

425 Reviews

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:15 am
Nate says...

To everyone: Calm Down! :P

On fonts ->> The writer chooses the font and it'd be limited to web safe fonts only. Fonts such as Verdana, Helvetia, Times, Arial, Comic Sans, and Georgia.

That is, if it happens. If the reader doesn't like what font the writer chose, then the reader can choose to not read what the writer wrote.

On profiles ->> As I've said in the past, you won't be able to choose top friends.

On Gryphon's bio formatting idea ->> I like that a lot, and I'll definitely try to add that.

Writing for love's idea ->> At the moment, YWS is still so small that saying which one of your friends are on would be of little help. If you're interested, then just go to "Who's Online" under the Community tab. However, a few years from now, that may become something to look at.

Dream Deep's Current Projects Area Idea ->> I like that idea a lot, and it wouldn't require too much work. I'll definitely try to add it.

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:19 am
BigBadBear says...

Can we pleeeease keep Bartemius? He's my friend...

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

425 Reviews

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:24 am
Nate says...

The header and footer will both pretty much stay as is, Bartemius and all :)

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:03 am
Clo says...

I am so excited for this! I demand... uh... an awesome new site.

I should have thought on what to write before I clicked "reply". :?
How am I not myself?

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:20 am
Stori says...

Hey, I got it! *snaps fingers* Nate, you should put Fred back in the chat.

I wish literally anything else I ever said made it into the quote generator.
— CowLogic