z

Young Writers Society

Get Out and Review!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:35 am
Nate says...

While activity is way up for August, the story/poem to review ratio is abysmally low (1 to 5, and it should be 1 to 7). I think part of this is because of the Writing Olympics, but since they are almost over...

Get Out and Review! No one will review your work unless you start reviewing others.

Sometimes, you may not want to review because you don't know how. However, do not fret if your reviews are not nearly as long as others! Everyone reviews differently, and it's sometimes best to just say whether or not you liked something along with a short explanation of why. Keep in mind that brevity is wit.

And if you see something with 0 reviews, drop everything you are doing and review it now before it's too late! Even if your review is just a sentence long, keep in mind that an author still rather have that one review than zip reviews.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:17 am
Clo says...

Aye aye, cap'n! 8)
How am I not myself?

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:30 pm
Cade says...

Psst: If you are having trouble writing critiques, here are some helpful tips:

How to Write a Good Critique by Suzanne
What Isn't a Good Critique? by Snoink
Critiquing Poetry by me
Critique: line-by-line, or general? by something euclidean
Reviewing: YWS Help Wiki
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:46 pm
JFW1415 says...

I have until the 27th off, so I'll definitely be doing this! *Looks at Will Review For Food Thread with 57 stories to critique* Apparently a lot of them... xD

~JFW1415

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:25 pm
Monki says...

:( Sorry! I started high school Monday. I'm a freshman! Woot! So, yeah, I'm really sorry, but I am swamped with homework and it's only the second day of school (due to Hurricane Fay=no school yesterday). I'm really stressed out, meeting new people, confusing boyfriend!, etc.. I'll try my hardest to review when I actually have a break to rest. :)
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:16 am
JFW1415 says...

Eh... make that around 65... xD

*Whines* There are too many contests to enter!

XD

I shall... eventually! xD

*Totally isn't procrastinating*

~JFW1415

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:41 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

I'm on it, as soon as I get back from [s]Hell[/s] Spain.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:00 pm
JabberHut says...

I'm gonna try picking the critting thing back up now that school's started and smooth-sailing. I have a few crits I owe, but I can't wait to surf the forums again. ^^

~ Jabber ~
I make my own policies.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Lynlyn says...

I'm guilty of not reviewing much this month either. I'm going to try to get back on the reviewing boat for September so I can get a few good reviews in before I leave for college. Hopefully I can get my next star.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:31 pm
alwaysawriter says...

I'm guilty of it too. I did a little over 30 in August before school started but since then, I've barely done any. Like Monki, I'm a freshman, and I'm still getting used to having homework on the weekends (though none this weekend; yay!). I've done four today so I'm working on getting the rest done before monday comes and takes away all my time again. :(

-alwaysawriter
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:52 pm
JC says...

I've begun to notice the lack of reviews along with tons of stories. It used to be like, you would post something and by the end of the day have at least one or two crits, it was nice because everybody got feedback, but now it isn't really like that...

Maybe there's some kind of way to enforce the 2:1 ratio? I don't know...
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:03 pm
alwaysawriter says...

I think it's mainly that more people read works that are from people that post a lot and everything as Nate said; not that they aren't reviewing. Either that, or they don't give any constructive crits.

It would be awesome to enforce the 2:1 ratio if they were a way...:)
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

59 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 59
Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:37 am
Fye says...

Yeah, I realise this new trend of less critiques happening.

*Sigh* My signature still applies. Feel like a zombie studying day and night. This is my first time logging on after...what, a month?

My major exam finishes mid-October. I'll review all I can after that, I promise!

By the way, I also realise that if you're particularly active in a certain forum, say in the prose writing forums, you may seem like a stranger in the poetry forums and therefore not get critiques. Just a thought.

Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.
— Neil Gaiman