z

Young Writers Society

What to do when the site is down

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:00 am
Nate says...

Just a friendly public-service announcement :P

It hasn't happened for a long time now (knock on wood), but YWS does periodically go down. Sometimes it's for as short as thirty minutes; sometimes as long as a day. Once it went down for five days.

To prepare yourself for if and when the site isn't available, you should the following:

1. Join the YWS MySpace or Facebook group, or both. Links to these are at the bottom of the page. If YWS is unavailable, messages will get posted there.

2. Go to http://yws.nathancaldwell.com and register. That is the address of the YWS back-up site, and all members get e-mail updates on what is going on when the site shuts down. Make sure to keep it bookmarked.

And most of all, if the site isn't available, be patient. Most of the time, it's because I'm resetting the server (a necessary monthly task to keep the site running fast), and when that isn't the case, it's usually because of a kink in the connection. When the site is truly broken, I'm working on it as much as possible and usually have no clear idea of when the site will be next available.

Veni, vidi, scripsi ~ I came, I saw, I wrote
— steampowered