z

Young Writers Society

Why Was The Chat Shut-Down?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:53 am
Nate says...

Bella ->> Actually, please do show the site to your parents. I love getting parental feedback for a few reasons. One, because they usually pick out glaring security flaws (I'm not even referring solely to personal safety; I've had parents who are computer programmers telling me how a hacker would exploit coding flaws). Plus, they offer valuable advice on running the literary forums. In fact, a lot of the things on YWS come from feedback from my own parents.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:02 am
Bella says...

Actually Nate, I have showed them, haha.
Sadly, they aren't nearly as interested as some parents would be.
I don't think they see the value of YWS the way some of us do, which is why I would never tell them about the chat incident, because I think they'd explode.
My parents are very paranoid like that.
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:19 am
Crysi says...

Hey, Nate? Thanks for explaining. I was going to ask you about it the other night, but forgot.

Anyway, I agree with points on both sides. I know of several incidents that occurred in the chat room (though I beg you to remember that some of them were misunderstandings, and some were resolved), and while some were innocent and some were not, it does show weaknesses in the system, and I agree there was not enough modding going on. Even when mods were present, sometimes there were issues if they were away -- and they couldn't moderate PMs.

I also know the chat was a great resource to bring the community together. That's how YWS began: as a community. We had some version of a chatroom almost since the beginning, if I remember correctly. And sadly, this means I probably won't be around much anymore. I know I say that a lot, but I really only came for the chat in the past year or so. But maybe the site has grown too large to keep it safe, and over all, I know Nate means to make this site a safe, friendly site for everyone, a site no child has to hide from his or her parents. He wants it to be encouraged by parents and teachers, wants the kids to be safe, and doesn't want to be sued for anything that happens, lol.

So, I mean, of course it sucks. And I wish it didn't have to happen. But I also understand Nate's reasoning behind it, and I think it's completely fair and completely his choice.
Love and Light

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:29 am
Griffinkeeper says...

YWS was a community well before chat.

If you want community, may I suggest the Usergroup forums?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:08 am
Nutty says...

*sigh* Well, it does suck.
But, funnily enough, since it's shut down, I've actually started to write again.
That's gotta be a good thing.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:25 am
Snoink says...

Nutty wrote:*sigh* Well, it does suck.
But, funnily enough, since it's shut down, I've actually started to write again.
That's gotta be a good thing.

Same here! It's actually kind of amazing... :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:16 am
Matt Bellamy says...

Just think how great it will be when chat re-opens for YWS birthday and radio, and such. How much more exciting will that be, so much more of an event. I'm excited for that. :-)
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss