z

Young Writers Society

Why Was The Chat Shut-Down?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:47 pm
Nate says...

No one likes being in the dark, and even though no one has messaged me about it (thank you by the way), I'm going to try to answer everyone's questions as best as possible.

Why was the chat-room shut down?

Unfortunately, I felt I could no longer guarantee safety in the chat-room. While moderators were present frequently, there weren't present 100% of the time, and a situation occurred recently that brought to mind this gap.

Will the chat-room return?

Yes, but not often and not regularly. From now on, the chat will only be open for special occasions, such as for YWS Radio and the Birthday smash.

Quite honestly, that's the best I can do. Any further information is on a need-to-know basis. However, feel free to ask questions, but keep in mind that they may not be answered.

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:50 pm
BigBadBear says...

Yeah. It all makes sense now. We've survived this long without the chat, so I suppose it won't kill us to almost never get it back, except for those few occasions. Yay MSN.

I think that we're doing the right thing, anyway. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:56 pm
Layleun says...

I'm still a little bit in the dark. What exactly happened? I really would prefer if people didn't evade this question anymore because I'm a bit down. I asked a few mods and people who are always in the chat but they wouldn't say. I really will miss the chat because of all the friends I made there. It was also a way to keep in touch.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:09 pm
Prokaryote says...

Well that sucks.

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:15 pm
andimlovegalore says...

=[ kinda sad, seeing as I only just got to join the chat quite recently. Oh well =[ I gues sit's alright. I thought it'd be pretty safe seeing as you can only post there once you've done 25 reviews.. and most people are pretty good at keeping safe anyway.

It's not my decision though =] and I don't mind too much. This site has a million other good things!

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:51 pm
Meshugenah says...

Lay >> What exactly happened is on a need-to-know basis. What Nate said should be reason enough -- we couldn't guarantee the safety of members in the chat.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

119 Reviews

Reviews: 119
Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:53 pm
SimonCowellLuver says...

This sucks a lot! What happened that made it shut down? Why can't it be back on?

SCL
3 facts: 1.You can't lick your elbow
2. you just tried it
3. I caught you cause i saw you

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:56 pm
Firearris says...

Speaking of which *pokepoke* When is the next radio?
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:05 pm
Nate says...

Brad and I were talking about doing another radio show earlier this month, but it fell through. I had a couple family reunions to attend, and Brad has academics. There will be one sometime in August.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:06 pm
Firearris says...

Okay. :)
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:40 pm
Rei says...

This is pretty disappointing. I hate to say it, but this seems very reactionary. I've never liked the idea of taking something away from everyone because of the actions of just a few people.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:53 pm
JFW1415 says...

Rei wrote:This is pretty disappointing. I hate to say it, but this seems very reactionary. I've never liked the idea of taking something away from everyone because of the actions of just a few people.

Yes, but those few people show the danger that we can all get in.

Just put your contact information in your profile where it tells you to, and IM your friends.

Thanks for keeping us updated, Nate, and I can't wait for the radio show!

~JFW1415

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:56 pm
Manny says...

Rei wrote:This is pretty disappointing. I hate to say it, but this seems very reactionary. I've never liked the idea of taking something away from everyone because of the actions of just a few people.

I agree with you 1000%.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:03 pm
Rei says...

Yes, but those few people show the danger that we can all get in.

That's the kind of perception that causes us to put helmets on kids while they are tobogganing.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:14 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

Rei: If you don't like something Nate does, then you can leave. Although, I don't mean to be rude - I'm just saying that if you don't like it, really. It's his rule, and if he believes that he cannot keep it safe and would prefer YWS to not have a chat, then there is no chat. There is no point in complaining about it and calling it reactionary. It wasn't, and if you don't know the situation, you have no right to call it reactionary.

Nate's trying to keep YWS safe. If that hinders your enjoyment, well, maybe YWS isn't your site?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

“Hope” is the thing with feathers - That perches in the soul - And sings the tune without the words - And never stops - at all -
— Emily Dickinson