z

Young Writers Society

Big Changes To Storybooks

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu May 01, 2008 3:24 pm
Nate says...

What's Happening

Starting May 3, 2008, it will cost 500 points to start new storybooks.

Also starting May 3, 2008, new posts will cost 5 points. This allows for sixty "free" posts every two weeks.

This only affects the main storybook forum; it does not affect storybook discussion, archives, or tips.

Why It's Happening

Since the beginning of this year, the storybooks forum has been increasing in popularity. In April 2008, nearly 10,000 posts were made in storybooks, accounting for 40% of all site activity.

Because of the popularity, new storybooks are being created constantly. This means that old storybooks don't get the attention they deserve and newer ones don't get much of a chance to do well.

There has also been a sharp rise in the number of storybook posts that are just a line long, if that. In the past, storybooks were an area where members could sharpen their writing skills in conjunction with experienced writers. However, experienced writers are no longer able to help as much given the intense activity.

I Don't Like This

If you don't like it, this will be revisited in June. If quality is not improving in the storybooks area, then it's likely, though not certain, that this system will be dropped. However, other avenues will be explored.

You Can Help Too

If you're active in storybooks, then do your part to ensure every post you make there is quality. One way to improve quality is to spend at least five minutes on a post; a lot of times I've noticed someone making ten storybook posts in five minutes (which is why you can now only make one post per minute instead of every 15 seconds).

If you're an experienced storybook writer, then keep on doing what you've always been doing: helping new storybook writers improve their craft.
Last edited by Nate on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Thu May 01, 2008 3:27 pm
deleted6 says...

YES!

Finally!

Thank you Nate, I've been waiting for this for so long.

:D
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Fri May 02, 2008 4:40 pm
Aedomir says...

Yay! Now we won't have hundreds of dead storybooks :-)

The only thing I am unsure about is the loss of 5 points, because sometimes, only so much can be written. I mean, lets say my MC was in a conversation with someone else, I would be writing a line of dialogue, and then waiting for the other person to reply, for 5 points. Having said that, it's not much of a problem since it will most likely lead to a greater interactivty between people, so I doubt that will be a problem.

:-) Great something's been done, thanks!

-Mark
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Sat May 03, 2008 4:48 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

Ok :( I shall obay.
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun May 04, 2008 10:36 pm
LowKey says...

Aedomir -- You could always discuss the conversation with the author(s) of the other character(s). Meet them in the chat, PM on the main site... That way, you have their responses for the whole of the conversation, or at least a good chunk of it, making your post worth it's 5 points. :D

Neat idea, Nate. :D

I'm not really all that active in the SB forum, but part of that is because of all the clutter it had. Maybe now I'll be able to find something.
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue May 06, 2008 12:25 pm
TNCowgirl says...

Yipee!!!!!!!!!! One thing though, is I'm a really fast typer, so I can whip out two nice sized posts in a minute. But if I have to wait to be able to post and keep this system around you better believe I will!!

Thank you so so so so much, Nate.

TNC
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Wed May 07, 2008 4:47 am
Firestar says...

I hope you keep the storybooks!!! It may be my favorite thing on YWS.
Admiration: Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves.

Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Confidence: the feeling a person has before he fully understands the situation.

Shin: A device for finding furniture in the dark.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:54 pm
~Volant~ says...

Yay!!! No more clutter!!! haha. I hope you keep these, though. They're not my favorite thing, but they are a lot of fun.
Where are we going?

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:39 pm
Icaruss says...

Though I don't think the point fine is necessary. Making it a rule to write long, well articulated posts should be enough. I've been in a lot of RPGs forums, and it can be moderated well enough.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:44 pm
Emerson says...

Though I don't think the point fine is necessary. Making it a rule to write long, well articulated posts should be enough.

I'm not sure what you are replying to (the "though" makes it sound like a reply) but in any case, I'll sort of answer your non-existent question. Just because you make a rule doesn't mean people will follow it, and the more rules we have, the more people will ignore them. It might work for some forums to moderate all of the posts, and nag those who don't follow the rules, but the point system works well for YWS and until time shows otherwise, we probably won't change it. :D Thank you for your input, though!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:19 am
vox nihili says...

Uh, has it been dropped, or is it still in effect?! :?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:18 am
Snoink says...

As far as I know, it's still in effect. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:17 pm
*singerofthenight* says...

:) Yeas!
"Hello, is this thing on?"

Prometheus, thief of light, giver of light, bound by the gods, must have been a book.
— Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves