z

Young Writers Society

The YWS Anti-Spam Campaign

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:38 pm
Nate says...

This is just a copy of the mass PM I sent out. Feel free to add your own thoughts here, or to ask questions.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to go real quickly over posts made in the General Discussion area (The Lounge, Randomness, etc.) as well as what's appropriate and what isn't.

The Lounge

In The Lounge, all posts must be meaningful to some extent. If your post is just "haha," or "omg!" that isn't meaningful.

All posts must also relate to the topic. Do not get sidetracked! Otherwise, the topic will be locked.

Randomness & Word Play

Obviously, posts can be pointless in Randomness & Word Play. However, if you and one other person are responsible for the last four posts in a thread, STOP. Let some other people join in the fun!

Critique!

Finally, keep in mind that we are all here to review and to help other people with writing. You should always set a goal of writing at least ten critiques a week on average.

And remember, a decent critique has at least four elements:
    1. Good spelling!
    2. Tells the author what you liked and didn't like.
    3. Tells the author what the story or poem meant to you.
    4. Gives the author encouragement to keep writing.

So a critique of, "This was awesome! Keep writing!" isn't good. It has good spelling, and gives the author encouragement, but it doesn't say why you thought it was awesome and doesn't say what it meant to you. Plus, every story has mistakes. Don't be afraid to point them out.

That's it! And by the way, if you are brand new to YWS, then stop by the Welcome forum in the Community area!

Your friendly neighborhood webmaster,
Nate
Last edited by Nate on Sat May 03, 2008 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:40 pm
Aedomir says...

This is great. Another thing to add about critiques would be that it doesn't have to be just grammar - thoughts and opinions are just as helpful, if not more so.

So a critique of, "This was awesome! Keep writing!" isn't good.

I usually put something like that at the end of a crit to sum everything up, if of course, that is how I feel about it :wink:.

~Mark
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:12 pm
Emerson says...

I'm adding my two cents! Or, two links rather.

What Isn't a Good Critique? - by Snoink

How to Write a Good Critique - by Me.

Also, off topic, but when ever I see "your friendly neighborhood" I want to put "spiderman" after it.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
— Eric Hoffer