z

Young Writers Society

The April 2008 Update Thread

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:01 am
Nate says...

There's already been a lot done in April, so I'm just going to keep a running update thread for the entire month. Some of these changes, not everyone is going to like as they involve some design differences. However, where possible, I am making accommodations.

This list is ordered from newest update at top to oldest at bottom:

Better User Profiles

Profiles are now a one-stop shop for everything you want to know about a user! Their portfolio is now very easy to view, and you can also easily view their last three blog entries. Soon enough, you'll also be able to see their last five posts and users will be able to pick which friends appear in their profile.

Chatty McChat Chat

If you haven't noticed already, you can now choose from a hundred different status messages in the chatroom, letting everyone know you're away, writing, cleaning, relaxed, angry, etc.

There is also a new chat skin called the Sci-Fi skin. It is not a new chatroom! It's the same but just with a different look. With the Sci-Fi skin, you can upload your own wallpaper by going to Options in the upper left hand corner.

Choose Your Style Header On Template

Don't like the black? No problem. Go to My YWS ->> My Preferences. You'll find an option to change the header back to the old style under template change. This will only change the top header images; it will not change the border and it only affects default. The drop-down menu also does not change.

Shakespeare Insults & Update To Story Theme

Check out the new Shakespeare insults! With 125,000 combinations, you'll never run out of insults to impress your friends!

Story theme generator has also been updated to correct typos and make it more useful. Both of these generators now use Ajax so the page doesn't refresh when you click the button.

Both are accessible via the Community button at the top then 'Downloads and Games' on the drop down menu.

YWS Is Now xHTML certified!

Not a big deal, and meaningless to most. What it does mean for you is that YWS now appears the same no matter what browser you use. So what you see in Firefox is what you get in Safari.

http://yourdomain.youngwriterssociety.com

This is big! Every user now has their own subdomain on YWS. It links straight to your profile, to which some changes will be made shortly. Namely, your portfolio and the last few of your blog posts will be directly accessible from your profile. This should make it such easier to share your work with your friends.

However, if you have a space in your name, it does not work. Thus, if and only if you have a space in your name, you can message me to remove it. I will only remove spaces; no username changes.

To find out how the trick is done, visit my new blog at http://blog.nathancaldwell.com.

Design Changes

If you're using Default (the normal YWS), you'll notice some design differences. Namely, the border is now white, the header images are in black, and the logo is blue with the YWS sword and pencil (image by Bobo!).

Along with that, a lot was streamlined or even removed to speed up the site. Before, many IE users had to wait 10 seconds for YWS to load, which is two seconds too long (seconds matter a ton). Now, it's almost instantaneous.
Last edited by Nate on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:04 am
Snoink says...

YWS Is Now xHTML certified!

Not a big deal, and meaningless to most. What it does mean for you is that YWS now appears the same no matter what browser you use. So what you see in Firefox is what you get in Safari.

...I love you. <3
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:49 pm
JFW1415 says...

Nate wrote:Don't like the black? No problem. Go to My YWS ->> My Preferences. You'll find an option to change the header back to the old style under template change. This will only change the top header images; it will not change the border and it only affects default. The drop-down menu also does not change.

YAY! I loved everything except the black. *Huggles old header buttons*

And I'm glad you sped it up for us IE users. :P

~JFW1415

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:33 am
Nate says...

Added two new updates:

Better User Profiles

Profiles are now a one-stop shop for everything you want to know about a user! Their portfolio is now very easy to view, and you can also easily view their last three blog entries. Soon enough, you'll also be able to see their last five posts and users will be able to pick which friends appear in their profile.

Chatty McChat Chat

If you haven't noticed already, you can now choose from a hundred different status messages in the chatroom, letting everyone know you're away, writing, cleaning, relaxed, angry, etc.

There is also a new chat skin called the Sci-Fi skin. It is not a new chatroom! It's the same but just with a different look. With the Sci-Fi skin, you can upload your own wallpaper by going to Options in the upper left hand corner.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:46 am
gyrfalcon says...

Wonderful, Nate! *hugs* You're my hero! (I personally like the black, but even so it's nice to have the option.)
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

Remember: the plot is nothing more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations.
— Ray Bradbury