z

Young Writers Society

Month of March 2008 Updates

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:10 am
Nate says...

There's been a lot of updates during the Month of March!

View Last 100 Topics

This is something a lot of people have requested over the years, but I've only recently learned how to do this type of stuff.

People often log in to see 400 posts since their last visit. If you got the time, that's no problem. But usually, you're just logging in for a few minutes.

You can now find a link to the Last 100 Topics on the home page and in My YWS. Once there, you can choose to see any number of topics from 0 to 1000. The results are listed on one page for easy access.

Application Forms

From now on, you must fill out an application form for groups or if applying for instructor/greeter. You can find these either in the Applications forum or in Adverts & Info on Usergroups, but you have to read the FAQs there first!

And remember, just because you apply does not mean you will be accepted. We apply very stringent standards to all of the positions available.

Site Optimization

If you noticed, the site has gotten a lot busier. So to ease that a bit, I went through and optimized all the busiest pages. You should notice much faster loading times in a lot of places.

New User Profiles

All profiles are getting a renovation. You can already see some of this, but more is coming. Eventually, all profiles will have a similar look to My YWS, and you will be able to see the user's most recent posts, recent blog posts, and recent stories/poems right from their profile.

YWS Blog Ticker

A YWS blog ticker has been re-added to the home page.

Nate Changed His Avatar

After months of going with the Chimp playing golf, I decided that it was getting kinda boring. So after looking around for a bit, I settled on a Chimp with his hands on his head. Ain't it adorable?

New Look!

The header portion of YWS looks very different now. This was done to reduce load times, and also to get rid of as much useless space at the top as possible. The logo is now a simple "The Young Writers Society", and the "Search YWS" is just a simple box. Don't expect this to change much.

I think that's it, but if anyone can think of something else, let me know!

COMING SOON!

Top Friends

This is something that has been requested for a while, and I think I know how to do this now. Once I'm done, you'll be able to choose the nine friends who appear in your profile plus Big Brother.

Better Profiles

See New User Profiles above.

Featured Member Hall of Fame

I could use some help with this! The only thing which is holding me back from doing this now is just going through and finding as many featured members from the past as I can along with the order in which they were featured.

So, if a few people would like to help, just go through The Lounge looking for any topics on featured members (you can use Search Forums for this). Then compile a list of the name of the featured member along with when they were featured member. Also very helpful is if you can get their member number as well (ex. Mine is 2, Firestarter is 24, Snoink is 372).

Word/Quote of the Week Archives

All word & quote of the weeks will be archive and displayed for your easy searching.

Gallery?

So this one is a question. Long ago, YWS had a gallery section where users could show off their photos. Would you be interested in having something like that again?

Book Store?

Another question. Do you buy books online? I'm thinking of tacking on a YWS Book Store through the Amazon affiliate program. You'd be buying everything through Amazon, but YWS would get a share of the price.
Last edited by Nate on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:24 am
Firearris says...

Nate wrote:
Nate Changed His Avatar

After months of going with the Chimp playing golf, I decided that it was getting kinda boring. So after looking around for a bit, I settled on a Chimp with his hands on his head. Ain't it adorable?

Nate wrote: Gallery?

So this one is a question. Long ago, YWS had a gallery section where users could show off their photos. Would you be interested in having something like that again?
Sure, that sounds like it could be very fun, and if it ends up not being used, or slowing things down a lot, it can always be removed! :) :razz:

^_^

~Fire
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

425 Reviews

Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:32 am
Nate says...

Just updated to include 'Coming Soon.' Most of that stuff should be added over the next few months.

Firearris wrote:and if it ends up not being used, or slowing things down a lot...

haha, you know exactly how I think.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:38 am
Firearris says...

Nate wrote:Just updated to include 'Coming Soon.' Most of that stuff should be added over the next few months.

Awesome! *Hugs Nate* :D

Nate wrote: haha, you know exactly how I think.
:razz:

Okay, I'll leave this topic alone now. ^_^

~Fire
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:14 am
Emerson says...

Book Store?

Another question. Do you buy books online? I'm thinking of tacking on a YWS Book Store through the Amazon affiliate program. You'd be buying everything through Amazon, but YWS would get a share of the price.
I'm all for this. I purchase a lot of things online [would we be able to buy anything from Amazon or just books?] and so to know that a portion of this is going to YWS would make me happy.

The gallery I'm not so sure of. We seem to do a good with Post Your Pic threads, and so forth. It might just be an extra page to slow things down or become a frustration. Plus, I have bad memories with galleries, hah. Writing Forums had one, but it was always bugged. And of course, admins never did anything about it!

Everything else looks wonderful, Nate! I love the new ticker, by the way. I missed the old one. This one is wider, too! I think that will help remind people to view the blog, and to post!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:38 am
Matt Bellamy says...

Nate wrote:Featured Member Hall of Fame

I could use some help with this! The only thing which is holding me back from doing this now is just going through and finding as many featured members from the past as I can along with the order in which they were featured.

So, if a few people would like to help, just go through The Lounge looking for any topics on featured members (you can use Search Forums for this). Then compile a list of the name of the featured member along with when they were featured member. Also very helpful is if you can get their member number as well (ex. Mine is 2, Firestarter is 24, Snoink is 372).

I'm on it! :D
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:47 am
JabberHut says...

Book Store?

I'm all for it! I don't hit the actual bookstore all the time and I've been in need of books to read lately. And buying it through YWS is such a good motive for me, lol. *has had issues in the past*

You're fantastic, Nate!

~ Jabber ~
I make my own policies.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:01 pm
Aedomir says...

These have all been great so far, you haven't let us down!
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:22 pm
gyrfalcon says...

All this looks so awesome!

Book Store?

I think this is brilliant. While I don't personally buy much online, I think it would be a great way to get a little extra revenue flowing through here. Way to go Nate!

P.S. And yes, your avatar's adorable. *cuddles*
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:32 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Book store sounds great.

I'm with Suz on the gallery, though - we do have the 'Post your pic' threads for that, so I'm not sure what it would do differently.

The rest sounds awesome, and your avvie is the shizz!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:45 pm
tinny says...

Book Store?

Yes please! Although, would it only cover one version of Amazon, or would it include the different ones for different countries?
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

558 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:53 pm
View Likes
Matt Bellamy says...

nay to the photo gallery, I never really used it in the first place.
Matt.

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:59 pm
Aedomir says...

What is the photo gallery? I'm guessing not a lot of new people like myself know much about it...
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

425 Reviews

Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:03 pm
Nate says...

Thanks to Matt Bellamy, I have an excellent listing of almost all the past featured members :P

On The Gallery ->> I removed it years ago as people didn't use it, and like some are saying, it was redundant. However, what was nice about it is you could have your own personal gallery, and knowing what I know now, I could set it up such that your pictures are displayed under a tab in your profile.

Bookstore for UK/CA/AU (little tin fish'es question) ->> I have no idea. My bet is that it would indeed extend to at least the UK and CA, but probably not for Australia as there is no Amazon Australia.

And again, mucho thanks to Matt Bellamy. Thanks to her, the Featured Member Hall of Fame should be done within the next couple weeks. I may even do it tonight.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:04 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

It was a page where people could post photos of themselves, or their pets, or whatever else they wanted. Kind of like photo albums on MySpace and such. But since we have the post your own pic thread etc, I don't really think we need it.
Matt.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
— Voltaire