z

Young Writers Society

What To Do If You See A Spammer: A Guide

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:31 pm
Via says...

Well, anyone who was on this morning knows about the two spammers we had. It pretty much threw the site into chaos for an hour or so and that really didn't need to happen. So, thought I would write a little "how to" about spammers!

First and most importantly, should you see a spammer do not reply to them. People who come here strickly to spam are looking for attention, and by responding to them you are egging them on. Plus when we go to delete the posts it makes our job twice as hard if we have to delete everyone elses posts to them as well.

Spammers are usually easily spotted. Most the time, anyone who makes several reviews in a row consisting of something like "this sux" and nothing else can be found to be a spammer. Also, most people who use vulgar language in these reviews are typically spammers. Even if they are not spammers, the mods needs to know about it so PM us about the post (as everyone knows, vulgar language and harrassment are not permitted here).

Now, after you have decided said person is a spammer, look at the "Who's Online" box and find an Admin, a Mod, or a Junior Mod that is currently online and PM them about it and please include a link to the post(s) in question. From there, we will check the posts, delete or edit what is necessary, and make it known to all the other mods so they know to look out for it. After you have told one of us, we will take it from there and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Again, please please don't reply to a spammer. It's what they want and it just starts unnecessary arguments and chaos. Just follow what is printed above and it will be resolved quickly and painlessly!

Thanks!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Aedomir says...

Ah yes. I spotted them and sent Mesh a PM, then I started replying and everyone else joined in... That shouldn't have happened...
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:22 pm
View Likes
deleted6 says...

Yeh, I'm sorry about that. I shouldn't of, but they were annoying me. I was trying to stop them :/.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:23 pm
Snoink says...

And if there isn't a mod on at the time, just bug a mod or admin who you've seen on fairly frequently. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:51 am
Emerson says...

I think it would be best to post this idea here!

Is there any system we could put together for all members to say, "I pmed so-and-so about this-and-that" so that mods aren't getting spammed about something they already know about?

Because I could see that happening.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:36 pm
Lynlyn says...

Is there any reason there's not a "report" button like I've seen at other forums?

I'm a mod at an art forum (I think it runs on PHPBB) and I get a message delivered directly to my email any time someone reports a topic or reply, so I can deal with it immediately.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

Poetry comes alive to me through recitation.
— Natalie Merchant