z

Young Writers Society

Report A Site Bug

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:05 am
Nate says...

Thanks for reporting the bug Kyllorac. I've gone ahead and fixed it.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:47 am
Lumi says...

Mornin', Nater Gator.

Time of Incident: 7:30AM EST, though it's been happening for several weeks now (lo siento).
Browser: Chrome
Page You Were On: General search pages (both in individual forums, and the major search engine inside YWS)

There are two different issues. First off, for random search queries or terms, the YWS Search function tends not to work. For example, this morning, I searched for the term "pokébook" in the YWS search to bring up Bolt's old storybook. A month or two ago, this would've brought up all the hits to that storybook as it's included in the title. (Did the same thing for it without the unique accented 'e' since it used to be not-so-snazzy). However, when entered into the search engine, I'm given

No match.PNG
No match.PNG (5.41 KiB) Viewed 387 times

This happens for multiple queries that should garner results.

Problem two is similar, but really puzzling. Say this morning I wanted to see a post about Griffinkeeper, so I type into the search engine "Grif". I have everything set to defaults, so the results should come back from most recent to furthest, yes? And that's what happens, but there's this strange gap in time that occurs between now and 2008, as if nothing was posted between those dates. Now, this example is just for Grif, but it happens to every search query entered.

time lapse.PNG
time lapse.PNG (35.93 KiB) Viewed 387 times

I've cleared all cookies and all that jazz, and the problem persists. I've logged out/back in, and tried it from a different computer and everything. But it persists.

-Lumester
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:57 am
Octave says...

I tested the bug Lumi reported by doing the same thing (except I searched something else), and it did the same thing.

I got results from last week and 2007, but nothing in between. oo"
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

425 Reviews

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:06 pm
Nate says...

Aye, the search problem was already reported a couple pages back by Kylan. All that's going on is that I had to destroy the old search index. Since then, it's being rebuilt. The problem with rebuilding it, though, is that it's so memory intensive that it tends to make the site completely inaccessible.

What I may do is just shut down the site for several hours and rebuild it then.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:55 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Nate wrote:What I may do is just shut down the site for several hours and rebuild it then.

I think with how many times this is being reported, so long as we have plenty of warning we'd be fine with this.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:53 pm
Rosendorn says...

I went to the Contest page and idly flipped through tabs, to see the "Entered" one was empty... despite having entered the random story contest. It also doesn't show I'm judging any contests, when I'm judging this one.

Browser Info:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_8; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.21.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.5 Safari/533.21.1
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:39 am
Nutty says...

I wasn't going to make a fuss, but as your post on 'introducing pro accounts' says to report any bugs, I guess I should let you know.

I can see an ad while logged in as myself. I can't say I've noticed it before- I don't know how long it's been there, I was never really worried about ads at all. It can stay there for all I care, but for bug reporting purposes, here's a screenshot.

^^
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

425 Reviews

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:58 am
Nate says...

Nutty ->> Fixed! Thanks for letting me know.

Rosey ->> I'll go ahead and check that out. It probably has something to do with deadlines and such.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:25 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

I think I found a small bug - Lumi really, really liked this post! And anonymous didn't mind it, either.
Attachments
likeylike.jpg
likeylike.jpg (37.34 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:55 pm
Lumi says...

Oh wow. xD
Sorry, Nate. My net was being wonky because of the storms here. Probably reloaded a few times over.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:10 am
Kafkaescence says...

When I hover my mouse over the YWS button on the black bar near the top, the dropdown menu doesn't seem to appear. :|
#TNT

WRFF

425 Reviews

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:18 am
Nate says...

Kafkaescence wrote:When I hover my mouse over the YWS button on the black bar near the top, the dropdown menu doesn't seem to appear. :|

Aye, I got rid of it. None of the links under it were used very much, and I think it also just added some confusion. Was there a section you were trying to get to?

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:27 pm
Master_Yoda says...

Apparently we aren't that much better than Sony. LulzSec hack sony, and Anonymous hack YWS. :P
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:30 pm
Kafkaescence says...

Nate wrote:
Kafkaescence wrote:When I hover my mouse over the YWS button on the black bar near the top, the dropdown menu doesn't seem to appear. :|

Aye, I got rid of it. None of the links under it were used very much, and I think it also just added some confusion. Was there a section you were trying to get to?

Oh, okay. Just curious as to why it wasn't appearing.
#TNT

WRFF

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:34 pm
tinny says...

Time of Incident (include your timezone): about 8ish bst
Browser: Opera mini 6.0.24209
Spoiler! :
Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera
Mini/6.24209/25.657; U; en)
Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54

Page You Were On: post a new topic (general fiction novels)
Describe What Happened: attempts to post topics fail, instead the page reloads and all fields are empty. Previewing the post works fine and as normal, it's just actually posting that is the problem. Not sure if it's an actual bug, browser issue, or just a result of me trying to do things from my phone. It's happened a few times in the past as well, when I've been trying to reply to blogs.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.
— Allen Ginsberg