z

Young Writers Society

Big Chat Room Change: Minimum Review Amount

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:22 am
Nate says...

Beginning January 2nd, you will need to have at least 25 reviews under your belt before being able to visit the chat room. Since this is a big change and will affect a number of people, you are being given ample time to make at least 25 reviews. In fact, if you have zero reviews now but make 0.9 reviews per day from now until Jan. 2, you will have 25 reviews.

The reason for the change is there has been a strong rise in the number of incidents involving the chat room. In fact, the vast majority of incidents that we must deal with involve the chat room, and the vast majority of chat room incidents involve members with 0 to 5 posts. A lot of these members are not new; in fact, some have been here for almost a year. However, as they exclusively come to YWS for the chat room, they do not understand or know the rules on the site.

The 25 review number is somewhat high, but is also easily attainable. In fact, most new members reach it within a week.

All other forums will remain unaffected.
Last edited by Nate on Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:29 am
Alice says...

Good idea Nate!
I just lost the game.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:36 am
Riedawriter23 says...

*thumbs up* I really like this idea! :)
I love, love.
*This wonderful crit is brought to you by CCF!*

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:44 am
piepiemann22 says...

I like the idea man. It'll let people on the site know we are here to write, not socialize.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:54 am
Alice says...

More for writing, socializing is also part of it, but this is still a good idea!
I just lost the game.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:00 am
TNCowgirl says...

It shouldn't be hard at all!!!!!! I'm all for it!!!!!
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:03 am
Prokaryote says...

Well that sucks. :(

Prokaryote

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:47 am
Snoink says...

Prokaryote wrote:Well that sucks. :(

Prokaryote

Yes, but in the end, it'll be better for the site. ^_^
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:56 am
deleted6 says...

Hmm I sense a problem here though, it's a great idea, but some newbies come into chat and find they love how we all are. If we do this how about we have like a box showing current chats in chatroom. So even though they can't get in they can see idea? :s

What you think? :)
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:33 am
Loose says...

Wewt!

**worships Nate**

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Emerson says...

Ehh, Vern, not only can that not be done [as far as I know] the purpose of this is because the web site is about the forum, not about the chat. If someone is on the forum looking around, they'll find that they like/dislike us all the same, if not with better judgment, than they would in the chat [since in the chat we are all wild and off topic]. The purpose of the site is a writing forum, not a lounge chat, which is why we're taking this measure; some are treating it as the latter.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 pm
Via says...

I have to agree with Suz. Personally, I didn't even start using the chatroom until like a couple months ago....a long time after I joined....and I'm still here?

I think it's a great idea. The site is about literature, not about chatting with your buds!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:29 pm
deleted6 says...

I know that, I'm just saying for some people a site like this can seem slightly overwhelming so it's nice to just know it's good people. We focus on writing I understand, just alot of newbies who first came into chat became prominant members. Anyway if it can't be done oh well :).
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:40 pm
Nate says...

Vernon ->> Basically, I see it as a cost/benefit analysis. I don't dispute your argument, but for every one person like the one you described, there are ten who come here exclusively for the chat room. The problem with such people is they don't know the rules of the site and so cause massive headaches for the moderators and for myself. So while there is certainly a benefit to allowing anybody in the chat room, there is a much higher cost to it.

Besides, the chat room was not always here. In fact, the current chat has only been here for a year, and the two that came before it were hardly used. Plus, there are plenty of threads in the Welcome forum for new members to introduce themselves & ask questions.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:25 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Prokaryote wrote:Well that sucks. :(

Prokaryote

Why, you already have more than 25 critiques?

Personally, I'm all for the idea. I don't really use the chat room much, so I don't know much about the problems going on there, but it's not going to harm anyone, and can only really be a benefit - people will have to critique, and the people who can't be bothered/don't want to give 25 critiques shouldn't really be on here anyway.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything
— Plato