z

Young Writers Society

New Logo For Default Template

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:01 pm
Leja says...

feel like I'm at work and being told once again that black shoes do not go with white khakis

dude, first of all, black and white go with anything. As long as your shoes weren't white, I don't know what they were talking about.

*cough* anyways. I like the new one, it just seems very writing-like to me.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:05 pm
Meshugenah says...

So, Nate. About that color scheme ... :P

Hmm. I never noticed the banner shrinking before, geez, 'Dettie. Now it'll annoy me since you pointed it out. *shakes head*
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:31 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

I love the one that is up right now.

:D

The one with the notebook that is brown with the squigglies.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:48 pm
Nate says...

I forgot to mention (and really should've) that the background for the logo is done by Vlad Studios. You can check out the awesome background in its entirety here:

http://www.vladstudio.com/wallpaper/?532

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:19 am
Poltergiest says...

Hm... I liked the old one better... Oh well. The new ones cool to.

~Pol~
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:28 am
Kylan says...

Eh. Don't like it much. The other one was much better. Actually, it's not really the logo itself that bothers me, but the little black heading bars and the bubble images.

Kinda annoying.

Of course that's just my opinion and I'm going to have to live with it.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

425 Reviews

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:10 pm
Nate says...

Kylan, refresh your browser. I got rid of those black bars a little more than an hour before you made that message.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:06 pm
Meep says...

I like it, but it seems really dark, considering how light the rest of the template is. :oops:

(Also, sometimes it's smaller and sometimes it's larger - is it supposed to to that?)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

425 Reviews

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:10 pm
Nate says...

Meep's account has been locked for mentioning color schemes.

Just joking :P

While it may be darker in contrast to the rest of the template and/or it doesn't go with the rest of the colors in the template, I don't really see why it matters. I certainly hope that people aren't surfing the web saying that "Well gee golly, this site sure does look nice, but that dark red logo does not go with that neon orange text!" By the way Meep, I swear I'm not picking on you! I'm using your comment as a useful segue into an explanation of my reasoning behind changing the logo to the current one.

However, people will choose a site based upon the graphics, for better or for worse. In that sense, an eye-catching logo is necessary to grab the viewer's immediate interest.

So why this logo instead of the last one?

The last logo was good; as someone said, it was new age and abstract and all-around cool. It was also completely designed by myself, so I am actually very happy that some are saying they liked the older logo better than this one.

But unfortunately, it wasn't writing related. This is a literary web site, not an artistic web site, and you want your logo to match the overall theme. So while the last logo may have been cooler, it gave you no idea what the site was about.

The current logo, on the other hand, tells you right away what the site is about: books! Moreover, since the books are displayed rather abstractly, it also gives you a sense that this web site is a little bit "quirky" as it no doubt is. On the other hand, a logo like writing.com's logo with the stack of books implies the site is very serious. Our logo instead gives the implication that the site is fun while still retaining that literary edge.

So there's my reasoning behind the shift :P

But since I still love the old logo, it's over on the blog.

As for why it minimizes sometimes, that (as already stated on the previous page of this thread) is a bug which I'm going to get around to fixing sometime soon.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:16 pm
Twit says...

Me liketh it! Although I confess that I wouldn't have looked at it and immediately seen your reasoning behind it, Nate. :wink: It does look very posh, though. Give it to me again. 8)
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

210 Reviews

Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:51 pm
Meep says...

Nate wrote:Meep's account has been locked for mentioning color schemes.

:P

Nate wrote: I certainly hope that people aren't surfing the web saying that "Well gee golly, this site sure does look nice, but that dark red logo does not go with that neon orange text!

... some of us do. :oops: (I like graphic design! It's what I want to do for a living! I have to notice these things!)

It is a very pretty logo. though I like it a lot better than the last one. It was a shock at first, being so dark, but I've grown to love it.

425 Reviews

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:03 pm
Nate says...

haha Meep, although you really shouldn't have mentioned that you do graphics design for a living. You may start getting e-mails from me regarding logo design and whether this logo is better than that logo ;)

The image resizing has been fixed!

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:55 am
Alteran says...

I adore it, very classy and crisp. Hurray for new Logo!

EDIT: brainstorm! You may have done this and I missed it, but perhaps you could expand the logo to the background, like have the nifty tree branches wrpa the whole way down the backdrop. Or would that be to much? Just a thought :)
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

210 Reviews

Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:34 pm
Meep says...

Nate wrote:haha Meep, although you really shouldn't have mentioned that you do graphics design for a living. You may start getting e-mails from me regarding logo design and whether this logo is better than that logo ;)

I enjoy doing stuff like that! :D

Nate wrote:The image resizing has been fixed!

Oh, goody, 'cause that was driving me batty.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:03 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Nate wrote:But unfortunately, it wasn't writing related. This is a literary web site, not an artistic web site, and you want your logo to match the overall theme. So while the last logo may have been cooler, it gave you no idea what the site was about.

Except for the "Young Writers Society" written in bold in the middle.

Sorry, I couldn't resist :P

*hides, and waits for account to be deleted*

I preferred the old one, but I understand your reasons for the new one. It still looks nice, and I have no problems whatsoever with the colour scheme!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Sometimes wisdom came from strange places, even from giant teenaged goldfish.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena