Young Writers Society

Member of the Month

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:26 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Our first monthly contest!

The competition for the Member of the Month for December begins now (even though December has not started yet)! It will go on until December 31st, and the winner will be announced in the first YWS newsletter going out in January.

In order to win member of the month, a number of things are taken into consideration: the activeness of the month, the behavior of the member, amount of reviews given by the member, the quality of the reviews, and the number of works published by the member. In order to take into account for all this, I have simplified it down to the Prestige and the Points system. Since prestige reflects how well the member is regarded, and points reflect quality of reviews, number of works published, and the activeness of the member, these two systems can be used to determine the member of the month.

But, besides that, the amount of points the member has donated will also be taken into affect! That means that somebody with 8.5 prestige, 2000 points and 200 donated points is actually less likely to win member of the month than somebody with 8.3 prestige, 150 points and 2000 donated points.

As a reward, the member of the month will be featured in the newsletter, will have his/her prestige bumped up by .3 and will have an award placed in their profile for all to see.

Remember, you cannot win if you are not reviewing!

One more thing, it is possible to win member of the month two months in a row.

Any comments or questiongs can be asked/posted in this thread.
Last edited by Nate on Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:25 am
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Sounds like a cool idea.

I assume your choosing who wins?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

425 Reviews

Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:36 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Indeed. I'll base it on prestige and points, and so that I won't be biased, I'll use the database to figure it out since user ids are by number and randomized in the database.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:05 pm
View Likes
Perra says...

What's the maximum number of monthes in a row a member can have before they can't win for another 'x' monthes?
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:49 pm
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

Sounds cool. Will there also be different awards like "Most Active Member of the Month" or "Best Reviewer" or something like that?
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:47 pm
View Likes
ZZAP says...

Maybe to spread it out, someone can win two times in a row... Then someone else get's a chance. For now EBM, I think Nate is just going to focus on the "Member of the Month"; once this site stablizes out, we can probably start more detailed contests. He has lots of studying coming up in the next 2 weeks, something about FINALS rings a bell. Anywhoo, this is going to be a smooth winter coming up for the forum. Lot's of indoors for a lot of people, means more internet time, means more guest hits, means more members, means flurishing discussion board. :D

-Z

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:23 pm
View Likes
Chevy says...

i think the whole member of the month thing is wicked (good wicked). im thinking about donated though when i get some more points...right now i only have like 170 or something like that. ive been posting and reviewing like crazy...but im kinda self-conscious about putting my work on here now because compared to everyone else, my work is trash. and then the one poem i want everybody to comment on ('The Past') not one person decides to say something. *sighs* sorry...i get carried away easily. :cry:
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:15 am
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

I agree with ZZAP, we should only let one person win twice in a row. Because then the people will give up and stop trying to win contests.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:55 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

Yup!

ZZAP, you better watch out. I may just keep these points to win Member of the Month :wink:

Waaaait.. I just donated them back to you, didn't I?

There goes that idea.. :roll:
Love and Light

425 Reviews

Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:15 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Just letting everyone know that the member of the month contest for December is now over. Let the January games begin!

Based on number of posts, prestige, points, and number of donated points, I've already figured out who the member of the month for December is. In the end, only nine members were elgible (to be considered, there had to be at least five members who rated you). I'm preparing a newsletter now in which the member of the month will be announced and I'll go into detail in it about how the member of the month was decided.

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:54 pm
View Likes
Bobo says...

How is this going to change now that Prestige is gone? I'm guessing you'll go by points and posts and stuff, but that leaves out what members think of the person.

425 Reviews

Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:59 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Bobo wrote:How is this going to change now that Prestige is gone? I'm guessing you'll go by points and posts and stuff, but that leaves out what members think of the person.

The initial candidates for member of the month will now be decided by the moderators. After that, the candidate with the most points wins.

What I actually may end up doing is reinstalling the prestige system (it's actually still there; it's just hiding) and making it such that only mods can view it. Or, we could have a Member of the Month Committee, who decides who gets to be member of the month. For right now, though, it's pretty much up to the moderators.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:08 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

That sounds fair.. I should do my best to be nice to the mods then, huh? :wink:
Love and Light

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:15 pm
View Likes
Bobo says...

Now, that's a system I know we can trust! With the Prestige system available to everyone, it was easy to just give your friends a high score and then lower everyone else, so it could get pretty messed up. So yeah, but mods better get to know the members now! :D

"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
— Lewis Carroll