z

Young Writers Society

Points System

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:05 am
View Likes
Nate says...

For those familiar with TYWC or writing.com, the points system will seem very much alike to megabytes/gift points.

At YWS, a member gains points by posting a new story, poem, or non-fiction piece. A member can also gain points by reviewing a story or poem, and also by adding onto a storybook. The point system works like this...
25 points for posting a new story/poem
10 points for reviewing a story/poem
10 points for adding onto a storybook

Additionally, each post earns .02 points per character (five points makes one character), and each story/poem/review can earn a maximum of 50 points.

Also, the number of points a person has is visible right underneath their avatar. However, it is only visible in the Poetry, Story, and Storybook forums. You cannot view how many a points a member has inside the Welcome, Writing Resources, and General Discussion forums. The number of points a person has is also visible in their profile. And if you are using the subSilver theme, you can view the points all members have in the memberlist (this feature will be available in all themes soon).

At the end of each month, starting in December, the points system and the prestige system will be used to determine the member of the month.

If you have any questions, ask them in this thread.
Last edited by Nate on Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

425 Reviews

Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:11 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Forgot to mention that all members start out with 100 points; moderators start out with 250 points (although 150 points will be subtracted for when it comes time to consider member of the month) and I start out with 1000 points (I'm, of course, inelgible for member of the month :wink: ).

Another feature of the points system is you can donate points to other users. It is strongly encouraged that you donate points! I can view who has donated points and how much, and I will take that into account for member of the month. Also, if two members are very close in Prestige (8.3 versus 8.5) and their point totals (after including in # of points + # of points donated), the member who has donated the most points will win member of the month.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:19 am
View Likes
ZZAP says...

Excellent! Very nicely done... I hope that all of you enjoy the new program that Nate has installed into our board. Yes, any questions should be answered here, or PMed to Nate. I've already tested the system, and it's perfectly in the running. Thanks!

-ZZAP
Nate, you will eventually resine or trade powers with me:
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:22 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

This sounds interesting *rushes off to one of the boards where points are visible to marvel at them*
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

425 Reviews

Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:35 am
View Likes
Nate says...

You can now view everyone's points in the memberlist in all themes.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:06 pm
View Likes
Perra says...

This is a cool idea, although I don't completely like the idea of competition. But, so far, I'm having fun with it. :mrgreen:
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

51 Reviews

Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:01 am
View Likes
ZZAP says...

If people are taking it as competition, then they are not supposed to. This is clearly a point system showing how active you are on the writing and poetic part of the forum. It also shows your side of generosity and caring. If someone is competing, then it's easy to tell, because they tend to hog their points. :wink: Don't worry Perra, Nate's got a good idea on what he's doing.

-Z

425 Reviews

Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:59 am
View Likes
Nate says...

So far I've actually been incredibly surprised by the vast amount of points being donated. The highest amount donated (besides the ones I've been giving out) has been 50 points, which is a hefty amount since this system only just started and it takes probably at least four reviews to get that much.

The most given out so far (including from me), is 1000 points from Nate to Nate. I thought about giving myself 100,000 points, but I figured that'd just be overdoing it ;)

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:09 am
View Likes
Perra says...

Nate! You're supposed to be the responsible one! Giving yourself 1,000 points! I'm ashamed!(j/k)

I wanna donate, but I don't know who to give these points to. :cry:
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:12 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

Just give them to whoever you feel like giving them to lol. If someone posted something you like, give them points.

*Still wondering why she gave ZZAP 32 points after he gave her 30..*
Love and Light

425 Reviews

Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:14 am
View Likes
Nate says...

I'm an ape in sunglasses. How am I responsible? ;)

594 Reviews

Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:18 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

Lol!

Now I'm worried about the future state of this site.. :wink:
Love and Light

51 Reviews

Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:21 am
ZZAP says...

Hmmph! *points nose away from Crysi*
At least I'm the one that gave the hefty 50 pts... Too bad it wasn't you.

:D :D

-Z

594 Reviews

Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:23 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

Hmph! How insulting! :P
Love and Light

51 Reviews

Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:26 am
View Likes
ZZAP says...

Why don't you join my Usergroup? Maybe that would change my mind about your little sarcastic comments :wink: I gave the 50 points because he joined... Nothing special. You might be though :roll:

-ZZAP

History repeats itself. First as tragedy, second as farce.
— Karl Marx