z

Young Writers Society

Dynamic Avatar & Points Store

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:33 am
View Likes
Nate says...

The Young Writers Society is now offering two different types of avatar: a static one (normal type of avatar) and a dynamic one. The former everyone already has, the latter is one you are able to customize with clothes, hair, eyes, etc. The link to create your dynamic avatar is at the bottom of this post.

When you start out, you have very few items available; namely just eyes, a tunic, and a mouth. However, with your points, you can buy additional items by going to the Points Store, which is linked to in the Board Navigation menu. There are currently 15 different types of clothes (selling for 750 to 3000 points apiece), 5 different types of hair styles (100 points a piece), and soon there will be sunglasses (selling for 1000 points apiece). Soon, there will also be shoes and accessories available. Also, more hair styles are coming as well as more clothes. I expect to have a lot more up by the end of Sunday.

There is one problem with the dynamic avatar though; each time you go to customize it, you will have to choose any gender locked items (such as dresses, bodies) all over again. However, this shouldn't be too much of a problem as anything you click on is automatically added (though it may take a few seconds).

One more thing... if you do not want a dynamic avatar, then do not create one. If you create one, then your static avatar will be replaced and the only way to get it back is to pm me and ask me to delete the dynamic avatar.

The link for the dynamic avatar is:

http://www.nathancaldwell.net/young_wri ... avatar.php

Once you are done creating it, click "Go" and you're good!
Last edited by Nate on Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

425 Reviews

Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:35 am
View Likes
Nate says...

The points system has also changed. It goes as follows:

Maximum number per post: 100
Mininum per literary work: 25
Mininum per review: 0
Points per character: .5
Points earned per review for Author: 10

Any abuse of this system will be dealt with.

The last part means that the author of the literary work will earn 10 points for every review given it. And keep in mind that points can only be earned in the literary forums.

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:49 am
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

The avatar thing is reallly cool.

And yeah, the new points system is way better. I think these changes will improve the site a lot. Thanks Nate...although I think you spelled "Minimum" as "Mininum". Sorry, I'm just a spelling freak...
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:51 pm
View Likes
DarkerSarah says...

I tried to do the dynamic avatar, but the some of the elements weren't working. The only ones that did were: eyes, mouth, body. I don't know if it's my computer or what.

-Sarah
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

425 Reviews

Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:54 pm
Nate says...

DarkerSarah wrote:I tried to do the dynamic avatar, but the some of the elements weren't working. The only ones that did were: eyes, mouth, body. I don't know if it's my computer or what.

-Sarah

That should be how it is, although you should also have "Tunic" under "Full_Body_Clothes." I'm going to switch over to a graphical interface soon so that it's less confusing, but when you start out, you don't have much; you have to go to the points store to buy more.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:32 pm
View Likes
Wulie says...

how can u get rid of the avatar - cause i tried changing it on my profile but its still the same :S!

425 Reviews

Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:08 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

I got rid of it for ya Wulie.

A couple warnings to everyone...

1. I'm messing around with the dynamic avatar system right now so, at the moment, it's impossible to choose eyes or mouths. You'll also notice that the layout is kinda messed up.

2. Support for static avatars will be taken away. Very soon, you will not be able to change your static avatar nor will you be able to request avatars.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:24 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

I'm really liking the new points system. Now you don't really think about donating points...:D You've got so many of them!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

425 Reviews

Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:45 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Another update... The dyanmic avatar page should be working great now. The interface is now mostly graphical, but you still have to use dropdown menus for eyes, mouths, and body otherwise it'd take forever to load and you'd have twenty additional images in your "My Stuff" area.

To put on clothing or hair, just click on what you want now.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:02 pm
View Likes
Emma says...

I find the avatars kinda taky, they dont really look nice. Sorry!

1258 Reviews

Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:03 pm
Sam says...

the points system is working nicely. I got like twelve new reviews on things I didn't even know i wrote...:D

- Demetri Martin

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:54 am
Ego says...

hmmm....I think the novel writers are getting shortchanged on points, because they can writer like a massive portion of their story, post it, and only get credit for writing a 200 character post...just my two bits

P.S. where my trench coat and boots!?

jk lol
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

1258 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:05 am
Sam says...

hey nate are you going to eventually going to add glasses?

i need my framless vogue ones or i can't see anything...my avatar can't at least lol

- Demetri Martin

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:16 am
Elizabeth says...

I want to tell you guys something about my avatar. If you see me I do not look like this. If the hair was black maybe but otherwise not. Currently though I look like an Amish FBI agent.... AND I LOVE IT!!!

425 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:30 am
Nate says...

Just to add a note... if there's an item you want but you just don't want the color, pm me with the color you desire (along with the item's name). It only takes me a minute to change the color.

Hunter: Boots will be added soon! The trenchcoat is a good idea; that'll be added sometime as well. I agree with you about people who write novels getting shortchanged on points; what I could do is create a new forum for novels only where new posts get up to 500, or maybe even 1000, points. First though, I have to figure out how to do it.

Sam: Glasses have just been added! Right now, there's only four, but I can easily change the colors of any of them if you want. But, the three general designs currently available will probably be it for some time.

I've added a whole bunch of new items today; you can now buy different color tunics for much cheaper than most clothes, sunglasses, and many different hair styles. Tomorrow I'll add shoes and a whole bunch more dresses.

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.
— Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest