z

Young Writers Society

Site Running Slow So I Deleted Stuff

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:55 am
Nate says...

The site has been running slow lately, and while I believe this is a problem with the server for several reasons, it never hurts to optimize stuff either. So I went ahead and deleted a lot of junk code (code that does nothing). Mostly, this was just code for the old prestige system and the old chatroom. However, it is possible (indeed, entirely likely) that I accidently deleted some very important code. Everything seems to be working fine for me, but if you get an error message somewhere, just let me know.

Also, I am thinking of switching hosting providers since the server keeps on slowing down. I actually would go ahead and do it, but I've already paid for a years worth of hosting, which was a huge mistake to begin with for numerous reasons, and that's a sunk cost that I cannot get back. However, what I am thinking of is setting up a paypal donation system by which I could recover that sunk cost and then switch hosting providers (that way the financial loss to me is not so great). Through paypal, if only the active members (those who log in at least once a week), donate one dollar each, then I will have totally recovered the sunk cost. If that sounds like a good idea, let me know (I say that phrase way too much... :)).

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:25 pm
Bobo says...

Sounds good to me. Too bad I can't really be considered active right now... :(

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:01 pm
Emma says...

I'm confused by what you mean of the donation bit.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:09 pm
Firestarter says...

1 dollar each? That's like 55p, so I'd pay.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:08 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

Don't you need a credit card or checking account to pay through PayPal? I have neither, otherwise I'd have no problem coughing up a dollar.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:58 pm
Tessitore says...

Yaaay, I have a paypal account, where do I donate? I'd be glad to. :D

...no, really, I'll donate, where do I sign up?
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:08 pm
Wulie says...

I don't have a credit card other wise I'd be glad to pay you hold such a wonderful site...
'Sadistic lies we form like the web of a spider, the truth we hide like our flaws.'

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:46 am
Meshugenah says...

About stuff that got deleated. I just checked the SPEW usergroup, and there are only 3 members listed, not counting ZZAP. Hunter's not on the list, and unless someone kicked him out, he should be there.
Mesh
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:47 am
Nate says...

I'm pretty sure those members resigned themselves from SPEW.

The poetry of the earth is never dead.
— John Keats